1 ... 6 7 8
TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP HalfDork
9/8/20 3:49 p.m.

It's a little late, but one good source of interesting fittings, Pegasus.

You can find some really odd stuff on OEM set-ups.   I recently found a 11 mm banjo bolt, the fitting I had bought of course was 10 mm.  I had to use the 11 mm funny bolt, as there was no way to modify the threaded hole.

Rocambolesque
Rocambolesque Reader
10/14/20 7:27 p.m.

Time for an update, although I don't have pictures of anything to show...

The car starts, idles and I even managed to make it move under it's own power. The only thing is that the clutch won't release fully! I searched many forums high and low for the little information about manual Mercedes and most of the time that guys were having this issue is when the clutch wasn't bled properly. If you don't know on those cars you are supposed to reverse-bleed the system by hooking up a tube from the RH front caliper bleeder to the slave bleeder and push fluid into the clutch system. I tried that and kept popping the hose off until I found out the slave bleeder had to be opened way more. Eventually I put a clamp on there and used a new oiler can filled with ATE Typ 200 to backfill the system. It seemed to work but did not make my issue disappear.

Last week I pulled the transmission and the clutch. I found absolutely no mistakes. I even ordered a new clutch master cylinder and a new slave cylinder. Back when I ordered the original parts in 2018 I was poor so I got the cheapest I could find. I hoped that I received defective parts. Well, I received the new MC and to my surprise it was a FTE cylinder (which I think is OEM) in a AMS box. I measured both cylinders, found out the new one had 1mm extra stroke and installed it. I am still waiting on the slave, it should be here tomorrow. Maybe the pushrod lenght is wrong or something. If I don't find anything, I'll measure the distances from the engine mounting face to the clutch fingers and then from the throwout bearing to the transmission bellhousing and find out how much the slave is compressed when at rest. I can always extend the pushrod to make the cylinder almost bottom out at rest and this way I'll get full travel...

With the first snowfall around the corner, it's frustrating that I won't have been able to drive the car this summer but eventually I'll find the problem and fix it. Plus I don't know if I mentioned it, but I received a RacingDiffs LSD "conversion kit", so I can install that and put snow tires on the OEM 15" wheels so I can at least revive a bit of those wild Montreal winters dailying RWD cars. The plans for the winter are only to repair some minor things like the door speakers, the sunroof, the Tempmatic lights, etc... that and the timing chain and guides hehe...

Azryael
Azryael Reader
10/15/20 2:02 p.m.

Bleeding through the slave using the caliper makes the most sense due to how the lines snake up and around to the master cylinder. However, if you have a power bleeder, you can still force the air out from the top side via the reservoir through the slave bleeder.

I just went through this recently with the clutch replacement on the 16v, and it worked like a charm. The caliper method can be a PITA if you're doing it on your own.

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 Reader
10/15/20 7:53 p.m.

did you have the flywheel ground at all?  On the Volvos I used to play with, you had to be careful how far you cut them because too far and the stack height of the assembly wouldn't be right, and the pressure plate wouldn't clamp as well as it should.  Which, I guess would be more like a permanent slip than a permanent engagement, but still.  On the Volvos you had to grind down the pedestals where the pressure plate bolts too, in line with how much material you removed from the friction surface.   

Azryael
Azryael Reader
10/15/20 7:56 p.m.

These flywheels are two-step flywheels, so in addition to machining down the mating surface for the friction disc, and equal amount of material needs to be removed from the top for the pressure plate itself, otherwise you run into the scenario that styIngle mentioned above.

Rocambolesque
Rocambolesque Reader
10/15/20 10:24 p.m.

I had the outside of the flywheel cut to remove weight, but for the fricton surface the guy said he just lightly sanded it down. Even if that was ground down too much it would never clamp tight enough, not the opposite!

1 ... 6 7 8
Our Preferred Partners
zyIvimHb1lWmuhcRUTfj6FmlNy52eUM4grMxjpSRFOl07PPo9sxSbljkDCmA3NaE