1 2 3 ... 30

Since a few of yall know i got this, and EVERYONE has been ask where the build thread is,  im starting it. 

1995 c1500 extended cab,  short bed. 5.7 tbi. 4l60e. Beige on beige. 163k

Dirtier and smellier than two hobos berkeleying in a dumpster in july.

Brakes are a mere suggestion, and when the build pressure will violentlyshake the truck. I think theres a large chunk missing from a rotor, and rear shoes are into the rivits. Trans shifts hard. No tire is balanced or round. No brake lights. 

Paid $1200 and drove it the 50 miles home on Saturday. 

Plans: clean. A lot. Fix whats broke. See what the trans is. Assess what it needs. What it wants, and how best to accomplish it. Assuming that it is my keeper truck (munchkin wants the stepside) ill paint it black, lower it a little,  etc. 

By the way: these pictures were taken after the seller ckeaned the stuff they wanted to keep out, and filled their curbside trash can. I also filled my curbside can before these pictures. I mean, its that bad. Two hobos....

And just because they are both in the driveway:

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
9/1/20 9:44 a.m.

Nice.  I wish GMT400s that solid were easy to come by up here.  

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/1/20 9:56 a.m.

Spices last for years, I wouldn't throw that out

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/1/20 10:06 a.m.

In reply to Placemotorsports :

Nope! I'll happily do some crazy E36 M3, but ive had food poisoning four too many times. Think id rather clean a jam out of a running wood chipper. Feels like better odds.

Tim: these are unheard of around here with that few a miles, that much paint and sheetmetal, and this few a problems for this price. Its Its legitimately a $3500 truck as it sits here. Without any more cleaning. 

New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/1/20 10:17 a.m.

That's a great score. So many options from a couple hundred dollar brake job and drive it like it is to full out fancy like your other truck. All of them are winning options too. 

NYN

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/20 10:26 a.m.

dumpster-berkeleying hobos are the worst-smelling of all the hobos. but in July? i didn't even know that E36 M3 happened.

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
9/1/20 10:57 a.m.

I'm definitely watching this as I stare out the kitchen nook window looking at my '91 ext cab SB 5spd on jack stands awaiting  a new clutch(for over six years)...... frown   

"Think id rather clean a jam out of a running wood chipper. Feels like better odds."  BWaHahahaa this is a true classic Michael.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/20 11:14 a.m.

Calling it beige over beige is being kind.  That's baby E36 M3 brown over beige.  I fully approve of black plus LS all the things.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/1/20 11:22 a.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

Ls is a definite maybe. Or, a when. If one fails in my lap at a screaming deal.....

(Waiting to see what animals are found.)

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/1/20 12:25 p.m.

Maybe that hobo smell was Cumin spice.  I hate when the wife cooks with the stuff

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/1/20 12:38 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

Dude.... finding a GMT900 here that clean ain't easy. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
9/1/20 12:50 p.m.
bobzilla said:
eastsideTim said:

Dude.... finding a GMT900 here that clean ain't easy. 

Ain’t that the truth.  It’s a major reason I’m still holding on to my S10 - finding a project as rust free as it is would not be cheap or easy.

Ran by the tire shop on lunch. 

Started pissing coolant out of some shoddy installation work on the radiator. 

Also, the tires are now balanced properly. Took a quick look at the brakes, and i think someone put the wrong stuff on the rear drums causing almost all the problems. 

It also needs pitman and idler arms and bracket, shocks, and a hell of a lot more cleaning. Sooo much mud under there on everything. 

So, anyone know how to determine which size rear drums its supposed to have? Vin? Option codes in glove box? This is assuming that its possible to mismatch the stuff. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
9/1/20 2:42 p.m.

At first I was thinking "man, these dudes, why are they wanting to pull a mid-90's 5.7 Vortec, that's an awesome truck motor" and then I remembered the injection setup those have on them and how well some of them aged...

GM got a lot of things right on those trucks, I think, especially with the '95+ interior over the previous years.  Will be fun watching you go into another of these projects.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/1/20 2:54 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

95 was the last year TBI. 96 was the first year of the vortec injection and good heads.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/1/20 2:55 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

also why Im holding the 78. Find ANY c10 in the midwest this rust free that hasn't already had a frame off.

I personally love the tbi. However,  they are definitely antiquated at this point, and way down on power, emissions, and economy vs an ls. That being said,  if theres nothing wrong with the drivetrain ill leave it be. If the trans dies, etc ill swap it. Or i find a wrecked 6.0 van with good trans for 700....

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/1/20 3:01 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

they're simple, durable and easy to fix. But 195hp and 280 tq kinda sucks. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/1/20 3:09 p.m.

I like this truck.. you shoudl see what I just bought for $3k in the midwest.. crazy prices here.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
9/1/20 3:19 p.m.

2wd in the Midwest usually sells for less but that clean and straight that's still an easy 4500 bucks. I got a "deal" on my truck and it's pretty much all surface rust with a few holes!  Looking forward too watching you clean it up. A lot of you guys spend way more time on details then I do. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
9/1/20 4:25 p.m.

Ah yeah.  In my experience, the TBI will work forever, but they're not powerful as they could be.  Could drive this for a couple of years while waiting for a good deal an LS donor. 

So,  my other truck has drums that match the backing plate diameter. Looking like wrong parts....

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/1/20 6:56 p.m.

What a find! I’m with the other northerners, amazed at the state of that body. Should be a great truck when you’ve got it sorted. If your other projects are any indication it will be nothing short of awesome.

I like the tbi 350 in my wagon. Its slowness is endearing, but that’s only cause I don’t try to tow anything significant with it.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/20 7:00 p.m.

Sorry late to responding but the glove box option codes will tell you.  IIRC it's the J codes.  Like JB6 is the big drum.

1 2 3 ... 30

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2M1PxCzp1CYuspfrZutYvLZsXN26zltgmeqZQbix7llAWG0HpwtbkzlQiQRwWcHy