Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/16/23 8:08 p.m.

box 3, pump 4. 

Not any more fun this time.

Opti
Opti SuperDork
1/18/23 7:25 p.m.

Whos boxes have you used? I planned on doing a redhead when mine died.

Dusterbd13-michael
1/18/23 7:59 p.m.

Bought a lifetime cardone from oriellys. Same with the pump. 

The syepside took a few tries to get good parts, and this one is no different. But the steering feels the best it has yet!

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/19/23 10:13 a.m.

Nothing like a good box to make you feel good.  Chuckled at the Mopar fender cover.

Dusterbd13-michael
2/4/23 1:19 p.m.

To afford to do track stuff, i scored a $40 camper shell for sleeping at the track. Its ugly, but functional. Ill take it off and put it back for track. I'll beed to figure out a lot more. But its a start.

Opti
Opti SuperDork
2/4/23 4:09 p.m.

I got my camper top with the truck and I thought I'd take it off and only use it when I needed it. A year or so later and it's still on. I love it. Now if I get too lazy to unload my stuff, it won't get rained on or stolen.

Dusterbd13-michael
2/5/23 6:14 a.m.

In reply to Opti :

Yeah, im seriously debating now. Its super ugly, but very convenient. Moreso than the soft tonneau. Maybe the solution is to clean/paint this one, replace the missing back window with some lexan, and use it for a while. If i still love/hate, find an old snugtop or one that i like the looks of better. 

I kinda like it, then again, I have weird taste.  Cleaned and painted, maybe not so bad.  A sheet of plywood raised to the wheel arches, in the bed, an air mattress, and a roll out under the ply for tools etc.  I think you get the idea.  Don't discount the value of the raised roof, more head room is nice.  By the way, how's the steering box doing?

Opti
Opti SuperDork
2/5/23 1:17 p.m.

I think its rad. Very period correct. To me it matches the wheels. Ive seen a lot of gmt400s and 800s with a camper top and centerline-esque wheels driven by old timers over the last 20 years.

Dusterbd13-michael
2/5/23 3:02 p.m.

The current steering box and pump are happy. It ate an alternator and belt tensioner though, and that has been replaced with good used stuff from runions. 

The shell will get shot in black by art next time he sprays something black, and then bolted back down. I'll have to make a back window, and will probably use the used lexan from the nascar body after polishing it. Its free, after all. Then, make some screens for the sliding windows, etc. I hate the looks less today.

Dusterbd13-michael
4/8/23 4:04 p.m.

jenny and I went to martinsville va today and got a good cap i like the looks of. Apparently i really like the functionality of the cap.

My GMT 400 is getting a cap in the near future.

Dusterbd13-michael
4/8/23 6:17 p.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

It was suprisingly difficult to find the non raised roof version. So, keep your eyes open! I had a 5 hour round trip for this one.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/8/23 7:10 p.m.

I drove 4 hours round trip last week to get a cap for my f150. I'm loving it so far.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I've got a few spotted that look likely. Remember I'm a long bed guy so I fish in different water when it comes to camper shells. Currently my truck is all torn apart and I'm trying to get it back together so I can actually drive the thing to go get a camper. 

Dusterbd13-michael
5/20/23 7:26 a.m.

Dash was a whole bunch of pieces flying together in close formation. Used a hot stapler to give some structure back, amd a dash cap. Came out pretty good!

I also swapped the beat up 95 steering wheel for a late 90s leather wrapped blazer wheel. Much nicer. 

Now, check fluids and air pressure, reinstall cap, clean, and head to the challenge!

Opti
Opti SuperDork
5/20/23 7:37 p.m.

What brand is that dash pad? Also on the wheel, are you talking about an S10 blazer? My stock wheel is similar but it had the leather wrap option from GM, and its not near as nice as this, It looks like a poorly executed aftermarket leather wrapped wheel.

Dusterbd13-michael
5/20/23 8:04 p.m.

Yes, s10 blaser. Late 90s or so. Came through runion looking minty. So, 20 buks later....

And its a dashskin cover from off rbay. Made in usa, fit way better than whatever i used in the red truck 

Another fine job.  Have fun at the Challenge.

Dusterbd13-michael
5/24/23 7:25 a.m.

i see a red ap and i want it painted black.....

Its good enough for the challenge run, but we need to respray it to make it right. And reseal the windows. And....

But, its doing it jjob!

OneSickGNX
OneSickGNX Reader
5/28/23 10:05 a.m.

I just got caught up on this build after about a year and holy crap you've got this truck looking awesome! I can't wait to read thru your cup car build now. Also, thanks for posting your builds there among my favorites to read.(also the AMC was what got me hooked on GRM, the challenge, and the forum as a whole.)

1 ... 28 29 30

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oqfjcZ1efKF48c4VdqTj7Pj1zbW9sL59hvsFQ9aNR5Vtg8cBoabVnOyU3mffSToq