1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 30
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/14/21 6:39 a.m.

The msd box i wired in last night and this morning doesn't work. The way you have to wire the set up in the EFI truck requires using the points trigger of the box. I didn't realize it but apparently my box doesn't have a points trigger being an old NASCAR box. So I get to pull it all back apart. Dammit. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/14/21 10:00 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

Sorry I missed your silicone question.  Yes clear silicone.  It's sticks to glass like baby E36 M3 to a diaper.  Question is if it'll stick to the plastic.

Update time, but minor  

New ac condenser, oriface tube, and high pressure switch. Cleaned the evap and box. 

Cold air!!!!!

New cap and rotor (blue streak heavy duty brass stuff) to cure the slight miss.

Add four degrees of timing throughout the map for the 4l80e tune

Replacement alternator to battery cable due to failure 

And the big part: my heads been a serious pressure cooker lately with work, family, finances, etc. Bad part of town, and ive been struggling. Took this week off, as with the company going under its not like I'll get to carry my PTO over...

Took from friday to yesterday, with a track day, to finally relax enough to be at a little bit of peace. I k ew i needed to go for a drive. That always helps. 

So yesterday and today i did 701 miles in the truck. 45 gallons of gas for an average of 15.6mpg.

Met new people. Helped Paul vr6 get his parts from Charlotte, hugged my grandmother in law for the first time in two years, and grabbed the new billet wheels for the truck. 17x8 centerline webb wheels. Perfect shape. Tires will wait, as im not replacing the almost brand new coopers i just put on here yet.....

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/2/21 8:01 a.m.

Excellent. I'm glad you found some peace and relaxation. Also, the new wheels are going to look great.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/6/21 3:14 p.m.

I told art last fall after we painted it that if he ever got bored and wanted to wetsand and buff the truck, id give him a hundred bucks and a cheeseburger.

He picked it up this morning. 

it'll be ceramicoated when hes done. Just because ill have some leftover from the wife's van.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/6/21 3:42 p.m.

Looks great!

What happened with your wife's van?  You said you were going to replace the motor, and then said that maybe it was going to be more like the whole vehicle.

Dusterbd13-michael
8/6/21 4:31 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

Yup. Found a 2010 with 64k on it, one owner, etc for 6k. 

Dumped hers to the wholesale lot for 2k after no bites here, put that and the 1.5k i had budgeted to do her van right to it. I figure 2500 well worth it. And this one has all the bells and whistles and a clean title. Needs strut mounts, paint touch up, fluids and filters, and a good detail. Waiting for the touch up paint to cure more so i can finish that and the detail, then get it on the lift at dads for a marathon service day.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/6/21 5:21 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Sounds like that worked out just fine.

TheWraith
TheWraith New Reader
8/6/21 5:26 p.m.

Looks great on the Eagles

wawazat
wawazat Dork
8/6/21 7:59 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

The msd box i wired in last night and this morning doesn't work. The way you have to wire the set up in the EFI truck requires using the points trigger of the box. I didn't realize it but apparently my box doesn't have a points trigger being an old NASCAR box. So I get to pull it all back apart. Dammit. 

I know this feeling well!  Sorry man.  

Dusterbd13-michael
8/10/21 4:02 p.m.

Slowly but surely getting better!

Im actually shocked at how straight it looks in pictures. Haven't seen it in person. My driveway paint and body may be pretty ok!

Ceramicoat is ordered, scored a used msd 6a, and shock extenders came in so i can use my set of factory bilstein shocks  

Kinda excited about the truck again,  actually. 

Dusterbd13-michael
8/12/21 7:00 a.m.

home and washed. When it finishes drying, ill see what i have to work with. I know theres some cloudy areas, and probably a few missed spots of sanding that need buffing, but nothing glaring while washing. 

Also, i listed these eagles for sale this morning. Time to go with either my centerlines that got relayed to me, or the kmc hotwheels i horse traded for.

solfly
solfly Dork
8/12/21 8:28 a.m.

looking good, interested to see what it looks like with the other wheels

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/21 10:41 a.m.

I prefer the Eagle wheels, but it's dang sexy either way

Dusterbd13-michael
8/12/21 10:47 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Dusterbd13-michael
8/12/21 11:10 a.m.

Im sorta killing time waiting for some approvals,  so ill do a good old fashioned opinion request post!

Which wheels?

Eagle alloy 206s?

Centerline webb wheels?

Kmc hot wheels?

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/12/21 11:23 a.m.

KMC Hot Wheels.  To me it suits the look.  The truck came out "Low, Mean, and Clean".  Hope all is well with you and the family.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/21 11:41 a.m.

KMC but is it too normal for you?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/12/21 11:44 a.m.

I like the Hot Wheels for the modern addition to the truck.  This then says, "here is what makes a GM400 look good today."  But, if you want a more period correct look like, "here is what made a GM400 look good in its day" then the eagles or centerlines.  I like the "factory cap" on the eagles but I think I like the centerlines better.  Can the factory caps be added to the centerlines?  

New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/12/21 11:44 a.m.

KMC 1 

Eagles a close 2nd

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/21 12:42 p.m.

Eagles answer the period correct question

KMCs bring it up to today's spec

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/12/21 12:53 p.m.

Kmc hot wheels

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
8/12/21 1:19 p.m.

Guess I'll be the contrarian.  I like the Centerlines the best, but the Eagles are cool for capturing a specific era.  
The KMCs are alright, but to me, they just don't fit the truck as well.  I'll change my opinion if it's been converted to rear discs and the front and rear brakes fill out the empty spaces pretty well.

Edit:  Wanted to expand on my opinion on the KMCs.  With them sitting in front of an already shiny wheel in the picture, they look good to me, because that's kind of what they'll look like with a clean rotor and caliper behind them.  Since they have so much open space, I think they need that.  Won't look as good with drums or undersized disc brakes.

Dusterbd13-michael
8/12/21 2:51 p.m.

So, i think my course of action will be to test fit both the kmc and centerline once i have a pair of each ckeaned up, and im more caught up on life. 

Tire size will be wrong on both unless I find some 255/55/17 or 255/60/17 laying around somewhere. 

solfly
solfly Dork
8/12/21 3:16 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

Ac system held 30 inches of vacuum overnight. So i put freon in it. Unhook the gauges, and it all comes out of a leaking high pressure side Schrader valve. 

Really?????

Oh well. At least the 200 amp alternator works! 

And the electric fans were crossed off. Broke one of my thermostatic probes, the other stripped, and i took that as a sign that i should leave the mechanical fan alone. 

what freon are you using?

1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 30

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
C493MMTmv8WMhKie6FVoT0LCNGLwNr2xpubQoAZy3ms9wWt66vgthU2STJPeHVjP