1 ... 26 27 28 29 30
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/15/21 4:27 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

So, dad just called me. Puddle under tbe pitman arm shaft of power steering fluid. apparently the seal no longer does. Yay steering box time....

You're opposed to changing the seal rather than replace the box? 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/15/21 4:41 p.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

This one has play that cannot be adjusted out. Figure this is asgood a time as any.

9/15/21 5:34 p.m.

So your next challenge is to find a decent quality replacement steering box. That's an uphill battle. 

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/15/21 6:09 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

This one has play that cannot be adjusted out. Figure this is asgood a time as any.

My experience with a similar generation Suburban is that play is normal.  You sure it can be tighter?

9/15/21 6:28 p.m.

The rag joints on GMT400s are problematic too as far as sloppy steering.

Dusterbd13-michael
9/15/21 8:36 p.m.

Ive checked the rag joint. No play noted.

Ive had ok luck with eventually getting a tight box from cardone. But I've had to adjust every one ive had.i eventually got no dead spot in the red truck. 

solfly
solfly Dork
9/16/21 9:58 a.m.

redheads are supposedly the felines sleepwear

Dusterbd13-michael
9/16/21 1:33 p.m.

In reply to solfly :

Supposedly! 

However,  a local lifetime warranty carries a lot if weight for me with some failure prone parts. New box arrived at oriellys this morning. $140 and done.ill get it in this weekend  

9/16/21 2:12 p.m.

I'm definitely watching close. I'm deep into a GMT400 project right now and it has sloppy steering that I need to address. I just wish I knew if Cardone actually replaced any hard parts or whether they just blast, clean, and reseal. Their power steering pumps have burned me and so many other people that I struggle to put faith into the company. 

Dusterbd13-michael
9/16/21 2:51 p.m.

Yeah, i agree about the pumps. Don't know who else to try though. 

The boxes i have used have been decent so far, honestly  i destroyed two with siezed ball joints and a defective pump, so i can't blame that on cardone. And the worm gear needs adjustment straight out of the box. 

Opti
Opti Dork
9/16/21 4:27 p.m.

A proforged idler bracket, idler and pitman, greatly reduced slop in my GMT400. Better than most GMT400s ive driven, still has a small dead spot.

I plan on trying a red head box when mine gives up the ghost.

9/16/21 5:49 p.m.
Opti said:

A proforged idler bracket, idler and pitman, greatly reduced slop in my GMT400. Better than most GMT400s ive driven, still has a small dead spot.

I plan on trying a red head box when mine gives up the ghost.

I've got a parts collection on my shelf for the thing (Moog mostly). I'm mired down in an engine swap on the truck that I wish I'd never started. Once I dig enough to see daylight I'll get everything installed.  I also plan on the Redhead if I have to get a box.

solfly
solfly Dork
9/16/21 8:07 p.m.

Cunningham machine steering shaft is a nice upgrade too

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/21 8:29 p.m.

Instead of buying Cardone parts, just smash your junk in a car door. At least with the latter you don't have any false hope that it's gonna be OK.

Opti
Opti Dork
9/17/21 11:17 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

We still joke Cardone means "paint it black and put it back." I have seen a few parts houses move away from them, and I have seen some junk from them over the last 10 years, BUT In the last year or two I have seen much higher quality from them and their reman catalog seems to be much bigger than anyone else's and on some less common stuff it's the only option. If it was the only thing available I'd be less hesitant now than I was a couple years ago.

As far as the GMT400 I'll probably try a redhead based on reviews and its only a few hundred dollars.

A buddy found a rebuilder that was big in the Mopar community, I can't remember their name, that either used the same gearbox or a similar one to his K5. It was 800 IIRC and he swore by it saying it felt better than any other gearbox he'd driven. I believe he ran one in his nova race car also.

Dusterbd13-michael
9/18/21 2:12 p.m.

im feeling like im starting to get the hang of this paint and body and detailing thing. 

Im dsmn proud of how this thing looks, honestly. Damn proud. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
9/18/21 3:09 p.m.

Impressive!  It took a few seconds to realize it was the truck.  I was wondering why you were showing a picture of a bent truck cab.

Dusterbd13-michael
9/18/21 3:47 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Thanks! Hard to believe that i got this result with cheap materials, my bodywork skills, and art shooting it in my gravel driveway. Theres flaws, runs, trash, and fisheyes. Theres some dings i missed. I know where every single blemish is. 

But its a damn nice daily driver truck that i can be damn proud of. 

9/18/21 5:31 p.m.

That really does look crisp and fresh. Too nice for one of my daily drivers ! I'd be a nervous wreck.

Dusterbd13-michael
9/18/21 7:19 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) said:

That really does look crisp and fresh. Too nice for one of my daily drivers ! I'd be a nervous wreck.

That is seriously high praise coming from you. 

Thank you. Youa re one of my build heros. It means a lot to me.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
9/18/21 7:28 p.m.

Looks quite amazing.  Keep up the awesome work!

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
9/19/21 2:04 p.m.

Wait, that's a berkeleying reflection?!?!??   Holy crap!

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
9/19/21 9:01 p.m.

"Wait, that's a berkeleying reflection?!?!??   Holy crap!"

And it's that effen good you can read newsprint  in it......and it's black ....Very well done Michael C!!!.....oh and that ain't no twenty footer brah...late

Dusterbd13-michael
12/27/21 9:34 a.m.

finally got the centerline billet wheels on. These are 17x8 webb wheels that duke bought for me in Delaware, paulvr6 met me with in Richmond, with Michelin ltx bought from a trailer park in statesville. 

Im stupid happy with these. 

Time tonsee if i can turn the eagles and coppers into a cowl hood to go with a gmc grill and diesel bumper. 

Dusterbd13-michael
12/27/21 5:18 p.m.

I also replaced the melted Nylock nuts on the header collectors with all metal lock nuts and tightened up all the exhaust clamps today. Trucks much quieter and more rattle free now. Still need to figure out why my sub seems to be cutting in and out. Tomorrow will be a 400-mile day in the truck to see Stampy and race truck run and get challenge car parts

1 ... 26 27 28 29 30

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jxE8NRfUVJTytN2YY7onpQys4qa2XA7uOSixhYXHjeuyGSO3fvLNudqI7mAUOBqC