1 2 3
ilovevintage
ilovevintage None
9/8/13 8:55 p.m.

Ok ive always heard about the screaming 302.well i want to build one.i have nothing yet but plenty of time. What all do i need to build a 303 chevy? I know alot of you say why not 327 or 350 or 400 block well i want 302 and dont care how long it takes or how much money.ive been looking at alot of heads the old double humps and these new ones on ebay nascar ones that have202 values too but aluminum.i want to be able to ride as a daily car but to almost exceed that.just on the limit.so not really want 8,000 rpms but around 6,500.i dont have a car or truck to put it in but will build that later. Another question ive always had 350's and 305's dont like the 305 just only lasts around 150,000 miles while 350's will go past 300,000 miles.how many miles you think a 302 will get if built right? Do you think the 194 values would be better and 202 too much. I really want to build this engine and car for my dad to drive one day.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
9/8/13 9:00 p.m.

Double space to get paragraphs, that is too difficult to even attempt

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
9/9/13 12:45 a.m.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-302DZ-Chevy-302-Turn-Key-Crate-Engine-/120484259711

I wouldnt do it exactly like that, but that is close enough. It looks like you can get all the parts new, so you just need a 350 block and $10-$15k worth of parts and machine work.

ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
9/9/13 2:54 a.m.

I plan on using the 327 block.kinda curios about what heads to use.i found some aluminum ones for like 700 but i can get the old double humps for around 350 ofcoarse they will need work.the site i seen the aluminum nascar heads was on ebay from dale earnheart inc.i really want small journal block.seems like if i get them oversized bearings for the crank might not take the pain.would any 283 crank work.ive

been looking and found some as low as 100.

Theres something i want to learn about maybe you guys heard of it.a plate you weld by crank to keep the oil off the bearings so it wont slow it down.ive heard people doing this just want to know how and why?

Im going to start with block first take it to machine shop.what all should i do to block to get it ready?

While im getting that done im going to look for good deal on other parts.i know cam and the heads intake is where i want to spend the most.i know i can build 350 cheap like 1000 but on this 302 im going to try it for around 2500 .thats if i shop craigslist and ebay and speedshops,but probly end up spending 5,000.

I just need ideas what to do first and what to grab if its a quick deal and have to buy then.

ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
9/9/13 3:05 a.m.

In reply to aussiesmg:

Hey sorry bout that.im new to these fourms.also didnt do good in school,but ill try keep it readable.

ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
9/9/13 3:12 a.m.

So should i just look for 327 block with small journal?

Will it make any difference if block has already been bored .60 over.im new to this so take it easy on me.i just dont want to buy one that i cant use?

So i figure one step at a time you guys can help and i can get my dad to help too.

It will probly take me over a year to do.just want to make sure its right.

Another thing what all kinds of special tools should i buy like micromitors or what?

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
9/9/13 11:21 a.m.

Use a large journal 350 block and this crank:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=111143753368&siteId=0&isClassified=false

And with your budget, vortex heads are your only decent option. Add arp hardware and good rods and pistons and that should be a good start. A 60 over block isn't worth buying, nor are camel hump heads.

ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
9/9/13 4:38 p.m.

Yeah theres no way paying that for a crank and probly still have to take to machine shop.

What i was saying about the 60 over is hoW will i know if its been rebuilt before.

The double hump heads are just like the nascar heads but cast iron right if wrong let me know?and i know aluminum heads can warp.

I keep hearing about these vortec heads.what the value sizes just wondering.

If double hump no good why do so many people use them?

Thanks for the scoop but i need to know if them nascar ones on ebay are better than double hump.they will probly take alot of work but be cool to have some from dale earnheart inc. Probly didnt come from his car but they have a bunch and i want a really good set that can run 750 holly or bigger.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
9/9/13 5:48 p.m.
ilovevintage wrote: Theres something i want to learn about maybe you guys heard of it.a plate you weld by crank to keep the oil off the bearings so it wont slow it down.ive heard people doing this just want to know how and why?

gooey stuff, like oil, that's stuck to a rotating mass adds drag. A crank scraper minimizes slinging around extra oil. Nothing needs to be welded - just a well-shaped piece of sheet metal. It's not to keep oil off bearings - that's where you want lubrication. It's to keep oil off of everything else.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
9/9/13 6:14 p.m.

This has got to be a troll...

ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
9/9/13 6:26 p.m.

In reply to oldtin:

Thanks bud just needed to know.but does it had hp?

ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
9/9/13 6:29 p.m.

In reply to Travis_K:

If you dont like chevy 302's dont post.dont you have something better to do go play with your toys im starting mine and it be all chevy.gm

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/9/13 6:35 p.m.

In reply to ilovevintage:

I'm guessing you are either a troll, or about 13. In case you are serious, then no, double-hump heads have absolutely jack-nothing to do with NASCAR, especially not Dale Earnhardt. You don't even know what a DZ302 is, or really anything about engines. It kind of sounds like you read Car Craft a few times and wanted to spout of a bunch of car terms to sound cool. Unfortunately for you, you landed on a forum full of real car builders, including people who have built literally dozens of engines.

ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
9/9/13 6:44 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

Hey javelin is this site only for professionals if so guide me to the text.you ever want to build something for years and years but never had funding? I asked simple questions.dk you know how long as searched sites to even find a place that is active and fast replys.dont know what your talking about troll because people that hatE are trolls.quess ill have to search for another who knows how long for a fourm.yeah ive only had have the heads off engines but you tring to say i cant.i dont have 50,000 to through in my dream car i have to manage and do alot of work my self. Why dont you define troll.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/9/13 6:51 p.m.

In reply to ilovevintage:

Okay, I guess you are serious then. How old are you? What kind of automotive experience do you have? What engine do you currently own and have the heads off of?

It's not that this site is just for professionals, it's that you came on here typing out dozens of terms like one yet you clearly have no idea what they mean. Don't be embarrassed to be new or have no knowledge, we all started out that way!

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/9/13 7:07 p.m.

<== this guy still has no knowledge about cars. Feel free to ask about artificial insemination of elephants, though

ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
9/9/13 7:08 p.m.

I dont have any engine or parts yet.ive mostly done transmissions not rebuilds but take out install.and mostly done tune ups,head gaskets ect.nothing major that needs machine work.but i know i can do it just may take who knows how long.i really want a 85-90 transam to put it in but dont want it to be a auto.i like them years transam because had a few and love the look but right now just need a block and to know what to look for.i might run across good deal and have to buy then before gone.

Dont ask why 302 but thats what i want to put in gold writing on side of car. And i want to blow the mustangs away.

Not forsure on car or truck to get but if i runacross 30's chevy truck in pieces i might pick it up. Im only working with 500-800 bucks each time ill buy something. They really have these heads on ebay nascar heads is what they say and if i run across good set like to get .most of them have same intake values 202. And 165 and sounds just like double hump old ones.really like to know difference. Any info be great if im talking and saying something wierd really want to know so ill know what im talking about.

Got a nice machine shop down the street.and know they will be getting alot of money from me,because no way i can do that stuff i could maybe polish values and stuff thats it.

ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
9/9/13 7:12 p.m.

In reply to JoeyM:

Maybe not alot of knowledge yet but how much will i have when done.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/9/13 7:33 p.m.

1) that was an arrow pointing at me, showing out that I don't know much, either. That hasn't stopped me from trying, though.
2) Yes, that link was to a conversation where I discussed elephant insemination
2) you are correct; you will be able to learn a lot by trying. We learn by doing.
4) welcome aboard.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
9/9/13 7:44 p.m.
ilovevintage wrote: Dont ask why 302 but thats what i want to put in gold writing on side of car. And i want to blow the mustangs away.

With statements like this, I'm sure you'll fit in well around here.

(facetious)

ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
9/9/13 7:46 p.m.

In reply to JoeyM:

Really i didnt even click on it.like your avatar.
Only i know is i want to do the work and do it right.no matter if i got to spend weeks on one piece.i could always do the 350 but cant has to be the 302.
I really like the 302 fords too.but chevy guy.
Ive never heard 302 chevy run and cant wait.just hope when i break it in it dont blow.and when i say break in im not talking about grannying it.

ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
9/9/13 7:52 p.m.

In reply to irish44j:

Use to race mustangs and they always seem to win against the 350 stock in transam,camaro.dont know if it was the gearing or what. Just dont want to pull beside one and not have power,and i do know 350 built has power but going another direction.

Thanks everyone.ive found some 327 blocks forsale but just dont know.

I really need to learn how to read the numbers on blocks and heads,what they mean by date and stuff and good place to look numbers up.that may be a good place to start so ill start there.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
9/9/13 8:02 p.m.

You will do fine here, listen and double check, but you will get great advice in here.

Somebody in here knows everything about anything

I like how you stood up for yourself.

ilovevintage
ilovevintage New Reader
9/9/13 8:17 p.m.

Heres my plans for future do the 302 chevy put it in something then i want to build racing Volkswagen. I know that will be exspensive but seen old vidio's of them little motors and cars pulling wheelys.but ill save that for another thread.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
9/9/13 8:41 p.m.

The 302 belongs in a early Camaro, but would be wicked in a Fox Mustang, just because...

"What's it got in it?"

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mve45hxlYIxNbsrV1FECEJCeDJLSSBLG7azoGXMVWd8ZSusu1HbModTajOQtB86R