1 2 3 ... 5
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/3/21 11:43 a.m.

my daughters have insisted that we name all our cars.  with the recent passing of the Queen of the 'Ring, they agreed with me that this one shall be called Sabine. 2010 328, RWD, 6MT, sport package, heated seats, *no iDrive*, just shy of 72k miles.

back story: in 2003 my buddy bought a new Mazda6 and I bought his 1996 Probe GT. Then in 2010 he bought this E92 CPO with 5k, and I bought his Mazda6. I've been bugging him for a few years about falling behind schedule, and about a month ago he said "it's time." He's lived within a couple blocks of the Pentagon City Metro since 2010 so the car has mostly been in the parking garage. Dealer service since new, clean PPI, new PS4's, aftermarket 16" rims with winters. Given how good the 224k N52 in my E60 runs, I'm pretty confident that this much simpler car will be a good ride for several years to come.

AK1 just finished her first year of college, so I planned this fly and drive to be just for her and me. one-way tickets were cheap, and cheap is my second-favorite price. i took a vacation day Friday and drove up to get her from school, and Saturday morning we headed for the airport.  best gate ever:

ready to push back from the gate:

Mike picked us up at DCA and drove us back to his house in Pentagon City to do the paperwork. He was sad to let Sabine out of his driveway, but he knows I will give her a good life, as i did for Probee and Mazduka before her.

we crossed the Key Bridge into a gridlocked Georgetown, where I got to develop pro-level muscle memory with the clutch pedal, then got through town and on about our day. visited with family and friends, cruised my childhood neighborhood, past my elementary school, some old hangouts, etc.  Killed some outstanding ribs and had many laughs with old friends at Adam's Taphouse and Grille in Edgewater, then crashed for the night at a friend's house in Chesapeake Beach. Looked out the window Sunday morning and damn I love this car! You can almost see in the pic below that the rear seats are folded down and there are four winter tires bagged and stowed.  The folding rear seat was a surprise and delight feature that I honestly didn't know she had.

Hit the road from Chesapeake Beach around 9:30AM Sunday, and had a surprisingly clear drive around the Beltway and up 270 to 70 West, stopped for a brief visit with my sister's fam, and headed for Breezewood PA and the PA Turnpike just after Noon. After a couple hours in the passenger seat, AK2 decided to face her fear of stalling the car in public and declared her desire to take the wheel.  She did great for a first-timer! One stall in a toll booth, followed by a deep breath and another push of the Start button, and we were back in motion.

Sabine rolled over 72k on the way home, and I got her unloaded and tucked in for the night at about 9:30PM.

for now, the only planned changes are to delete the front plate and add matte black grilles, then stay on top of routine maintenance and enjoy her for years to come.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
5/3/21 2:52 p.m.

Awesome, I'm liking those and will follow along

wawazat
wawazat Dork
5/3/21 3:02 p.m.

Nice score Patrick!   

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/3/21 3:29 p.m.

Sweet new car!  What did your buddy pick out for you to drive in 8-10 years?

Did your daughter call you childish for the gate number pic, or does she share your sense of humor?

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
5/3/21 3:47 p.m.

Nice car, with the right options (or lack thereof). FYI, you can either order the Whiteline rear subframe bushing inserts now, or wait until you've been driven crazy by the rear end feeling like it has a mind of its own when cornering. Easy installation and a world of difference.

newold_m (Forum Supporter)
newold_m (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/3/21 4:35 p.m.

Yeah, another thumbs up for those subframe bushings. Eliminated the live axle feel when you hit a mid corner bump. Great looking car!

Unfortunately, it looks like my next car is a 2021 Acura RDX :-(

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/3/21 6:31 p.m.

Excellent! My 76 2002 was also named Sabine since that was my German teacher's name in high school.

Kudos on her driving three pedals!

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/3/21 6:35 p.m.

Looks great!

I say leave the chrome grills alone, I had those flat black aftermarket ones and the fit was so loose that they scratched the hood. Went back to the factory ones. 

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/3/21 7:21 p.m.

I've been stalking the E90/92s, so I'm excited to see you pick this one up. Sounds like it's equipped perfectly!

In reply to TVR Scott :

She pointed it out, then got embarrassed when I took the selfie.

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/4/21 4:14 p.m.

Perfect "tribute" car. Sabine would have laughed that glorious laugh.

Mod 1 complete. Before:

And after:

also, dang the lighting changed a lot from 7PM to 8PM.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/4/21 7:19 p.m.

Great car! Nice pick up. 

it has been _zero_ days since your last BMW dash light

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
5/5/21 5:53 p.m.

Do they make USA size "Ring" license plates  for a front plate ?

rothwem
rothwem Reader
5/6/21 8:40 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Just FYI, you can do some coding to make it so your car uses the rolling diameter/ABS style TMPS rather than the in-wheel sensors.  I've done it on three E91s now, and its a bit different between different production years, but its a 10-15 minute process once you have the INPA/NCSexpert stuff downloaded.  I think its worth doing because you don't really get the benefits of the in-wheel sensors on the E9x chassis--no individual tire pressure readout is available on these that I'm aware of.

UPGRAYEDD

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 HalfDork
6/4/21 11:44 a.m.

Sweet looking car! I really like the wheels / whole package. 

I drove a 135i manual the other day and really enjoyed it. Now I am looking for an inexpensive 128i-6. 

In reply to OjaiM5 :

i almost bought a 135i 6MT from another friend, but it was not a Sport package car which struck me as odd.  honestly, i do not miss the additional grunt.  this car is just about perfect to me.  i'd like a more boomin' system, but that's about the only change i'd make.

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 HalfDork
6/4/21 5:14 p.m.

I totally agree. 

My e61 has a factory system called the pro logic 7 in it. Best sounding stereo I have ever had, including huge aftermarket systems ect. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/12/21 11:52 a.m.

Another upgrayedd: AK1 got a job as a receptionist at the local BMW dealer, so she got me a sweet discount on a roof rack kit. Towers and crossbars $150. I got the bike trays off FBMP, $100 for the pair.

Wind noise is terrible IMO, but that's the price we pay for sticking stuff out in the airflow.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/12/21 1:04 p.m.
rothwem said:
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Just FYI, you can do some coding to make it so your car uses the rolling diameter/ABS style TMPS rather than the in-wheel sensors.  I've done it on three E91s now, and its a bit different between different production years, but its a 10-15 minute process once you have the INPA/NCSexpert stuff downloaded.  I think its worth doing because you don't really get the benefits of the in-wheel sensors on the E9x chassis--no individual tire pressure readout is available on these that I'm aware of.

Any clue if that can be done on an e70 X5? I've been having intermittent TPMS warnings for a while now. 

superfund
superfund New Reader
6/12/21 2:09 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Gas is temporary, scene points are eternal. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/12/21 2:17 p.m.

I have the same roof rack on my e46, want to get one of those bicycle mounts, are there any part numbers? Are they generic or BMW? 

And, yes, the noise is bad. Maybe one of those deflectors help. 

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
72UmoQ3LLZTEUHOsIhrxO0tIZzUc7acaw44BsuPLZGPc5ytZK3cn4oPYr8v8Xt9e