1 2 3 ... 11
ElectricSuperCar
ElectricSuperCar None
7/29/19 12:11 p.m.

Hello all, I am new to the forum. I thought I would start a build thread. I am just starting on a K1 attack kit car build.  I have started the assembly a few months ago.  My plan is to have a Tesla drive train.  I will definitely reach out to the forum for advice along the way. I am also documenting in YouTube. Feel free to follow along.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-Uk13BnLTGAO5APsfuT9uw

I will need all the help I can get.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/29/19 12:13 p.m.

Sweet!

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/29/19 12:26 p.m.

How did you come across the K1 Attack to use as your starting point?

Sounds like a fun project.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
7/29/19 4:11 p.m.

Subscribed.

What batteries are you planning to use? I know the Chevy Bolt cells have turned out great, as they're liquid cooled and have a high discharge value. And what year of Model S motor are you using? There's some changes you want to watch out for.

ElectricSuperCar
ElectricSuperCar New Reader
7/29/19 5:02 p.m.

I have not yet committed to which batteries yet.  I was leaning towards the LG Chem 16S 2.6kWh Battery.  I was thinking 12 of them for ~30kWh.  I am open to suggestions. I am getting the rear motor of the "p" performance version of Tesla model S.  

ElectricSuperCar
7/29/19 5:07 p.m.

I have been looking for a car build for a long time.  I have been looking at kit cars to cure my build bug.  I was really close to getting a factory five.  I figured if I was going electric I would be blazing a new trail.  I liked the looks of the K1 better than the factory five, so I took the plunge.

ElectricSuperCar
7/29/19 5:09 p.m.

ElectricSuperCar
7/29/19 5:12 p.m.

Mine has a ways to go

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/19 12:39 p.m.
ElectricSuperCar said:

I have not yet committed to which batteries yet.  I was leaning towards the LG Chem 16S 2.6kWh Battery.  I was thinking 12 of them for ~30kWh.  I am open to suggestions. I am getting the rear motor of the "p" performance version of Tesla model S.  

I'm no expert - I wish I was - but generally the problem with using a small number of large batteries is that they can't dissipate enough heat, which is why the OEMs always use a huge number of small batteries, so you might want to look into that. 18650s like the Tesla S uses are a straightforward option that will work well with liquid cooling.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
7/30/19 3:36 p.m.

I would be cautious of using a model S motor if you want to track it. They apparently do not have an internal cooling design that supports continuous high speed use. I think the model 3 motors do a better job. IIRC they have switched the newest model S's to the 3 style motor, but I am not sure when they made the switch. 

sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
7/30/19 4:16 p.m.

Have you found a decent (less expensive) source for the LG Chem batteries?  I know that $8800 from EV West for a 30kWh pack isn't outrageous, but used Bolt/ Volt packs are pretty enticing at their price point.

ElectricSuperCar
7/30/19 10:14 p.m.

You guys make some great points.  I have gone back and forth, mostly between a used Volt battery pack and and the LG Chem batteries.  I have been looking into adding a coolant circuit if I go the LG Chem path.  It seems easier to me.  I do like the all in one option of the Chevy Volt battery.  It does limit placement options.  I have more research to do.  Please keep the comments coming

ElectricSuperCar
7/30/19 10:22 p.m.

It does have cooling however the inherent design is not great.   My goal is to be able to do a couple of hot laps, or an auto cross, or a couple of times down the drag strip.  By that point my batteries will also likely be needing charge.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
7/30/19 10:44 p.m.

Is that tube on top left of the motor the coolant exit from the motor?

BTW-Share your stuff you are posting about chassis design elsewhere-this group is pretty qualified to give educated input.

ElectricSuperCar
7/31/19 9:15 a.m.

Here is my motor

ElectricSuperCar
7/31/19 9:18 a.m.

The coolant exit is just left of center, pointing to the orange cables.  I believe the one that you are referring to is for lubrication.  This is where you put in 2 quarts of transmission fluid.

sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
7/31/19 9:58 a.m.

Would it be possible to just...reverse the flow of coolant so it hits the inverter first?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
7/31/19 12:01 p.m.

I think I saw a post recently on the FB DIY build group where a guy was using and external oil pump and cooler (also adding a Quaife Limited slip)-Was that you? If not it might be a good contact to reach out to for ideas about cooling.

ElectricSuperCar
7/31/19 1:05 p.m.

Good idea about switching th flow of the coolant direction.  I will have to do some research.  

It was not me with the oil pump.  The Quaife differential is debated quite a bit for these drive units.  What I figured out is that it depends which motor controller is used.  Some strongly recommend it others strongly discourage.  I think it comes down to the CAN messages that are being sent and that some have figured out how to power the motor so that it is not needed (or wanted)

ElectricSuperCar
8/4/19 11:12 a.m.

For those wanting a few more details

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_DMu-_KCpY

ElectricSuperCar
8/11/19 9:30 p.m.

Hey all, I got the front brake lines installed.

For those wanting more details
https://youtu.be/nIyKVcABzVE

mke
mke HalfDork
8/12/19 6:18 a.m.

In reply to ElectricSuperCar :

Is that a double flare?  It looks like a single in the pic but I'm guessing thats just the picture.

Love the project.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
8/12/19 7:27 a.m.

Cool project.  It'll be fun to watch it progress. 

ElectricSuperCar
8/12/19 10:27 a.m.

Yes, double flare

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
8/12/19 12:30 p.m.

I wonder too if you can 'simply' reverse the flow to cool the motor more, though I don't know if we know what the inverter can take heat-wise. One of the many reasons why I can't wait for more Model 3 motors to flood the aftermarket.

I also remember that the use of an open diff on the Teslas was intentional, as the computer could handle torque to act as a kind of "automated" LSD. Not sure where the aftermarket is on emulating that, and I haven't heard the over/under on the Quaife unit or how good it is.

1 2 3 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nSGjSMtzBmB2uEptKuZqG87br6fgL3DtNFQQHezsPFXkWIIawR7WSdBSQCNW0ZoL