1 2 3 4 5
java230
java230 UltraDork
10/19/18 11:44 a.m.

So much awesome!

Kasstastrophy
Kasstastrophy New Reader
10/19/18 9:03 p.m.

Driving Conservatively, what kind of gas mileage are you expecting to see from this kind of build?

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/20/18 6:38 a.m.

Those are pretty cool responses from the state inspector. Like they wanted to help find a way to get it legal rather than try to prevent it. 

exotruck
exotruck New Reader
10/22/18 6:18 a.m.

When i first went turbo 5 or 6 years ago, i was a bit of an ass at first, drifting everywhere, launching ,etc... but the honeymoons overs. Most of my leg stretching now is just the occasional highway on ramp where i can open it up away from traffic.  

I'm runnin pump gas (93 octane) in it now because the weather, well probably around E25 or so. There was about 2 gallons of E80 in it when i added 5 gallons of gasoline. E85 wont ignite below 50°, i could have went and got some new e85 which is probably around 65% by now. Its full flex fuel so it would run on any blend. On full E85 i got 16-17mpg when it was in my Forester. On pump gas i should be around 20-22. I havent really optimized the pump gas tune since i never really use it. I think i still got about 17 on gas. My timing real conservative, AFR's are real low. Its pretty much only set up to run on gas in safe mode. But I'll probably change that. Im going to try and get more timing out of it, maybe even get to my E85 timing levels, then i know i can go even higher on E85. It put down 415awhp last year at 27ish psi. It should be closer to 450 at that boost so theres room for inprovement.

The state guys are pretty normal guys, not out to kill the sport. They just have a job like most of us to protect their liability. I followed the building code the best i could but im sure they could have found something to drag the process out but they didnt. They just wanted to make sure if I broke down on side of road or ran into surprise weather that i was prepared and wouldnt get hit by another motorist or something. 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/22/18 2:45 p.m.

That thing is awesome!

exotruck
exotruck New Reader
11/8/18 10:00 a.m.
jmc14
jmc14 Reader
11/9/18 4:44 p.m.

Nice!

CLynn85
CLynn85 HalfDork
11/10/18 7:31 p.m.

Love it! I've been scheming something similar, but you really nailed the proportions and everything with this!

HyperspaceTurd
HyperspaceTurd New Reader
11/10/18 10:59 p.m.

Work of art.

This thing is beautiful. 

MOAR DETAILS NOW! This has potential to be the all time coolest DD/Racecar. Which has never ever been done.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
11/11/18 5:39 p.m.

Snowmobile heated everything clothing DO IT!!!! What winter!?!?!!!

orthoxstice
orthoxstice New Reader
11/11/18 6:20 p.m.

I watched the video for the woosh-y noises but then things started looking familiar and I realized you were going through the Ft. Pitt. 

I'm gonna keep my eyes open for this thing come spring time.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
11/11/18 6:33 p.m.

I'll admit, I've scrolled past this thread a bunch of times assuming this was the start of someone's build that they were unlikely to complete.

Now that I've clicked... woah!  Awesome.  I bet that thing would be a blast on the autox course and probably the only mod car driveable to an event that can carry its own tires without a trailer.

exotruck
exotruck New Reader
11/12/18 10:21 a.m.

ya winter can suck it. Havent hauled tires yet but did bring some wire wood home from work.

hopefully this winter i can work on "aero" a little bit. Id like to add a splitter and defuser to smooth out underbody flow. The top, well that's a waste of time.

exotruck
exotruck New Reader
12/12/18 8:32 a.m.

Started investing a lot of mental capacity into Aero, and a little sheet metal and HDPE

more playing with CFD virtual wind tunnel on my better machine.

Run at 120ft/sec

Blues are negative pressure and on the bottom side equals downforce

and reds are positive pressure and on the right surfaces equal downforce, on the wrong ones its just drag

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/12/18 8:47 a.m.

Man I dig this!

The "truck" designated plate puts it over the top.

orthoxstice
orthoxstice New Reader
12/12/18 7:21 p.m.

I can't believe it got a Z plate hahaha

exotruck
exotruck New Reader
1/14/19 10:00 a.m.

icy driveway mix

http://youtu.be/bXRxpEk-dIM

artur1808
artur1808 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/14/19 10:09 a.m.
exotruck said:

[...]

and reds are positive pressure and on the right surfaces equal downforce, on the wrong ones its just drag

[...]

I noticed that despite sticking out past  the sides of the "body", the tires aren't responding to the model. Any idea of how the exposed tire, along with the rotation of air in that area, would affect everything behind the tires? 

exotruck
exotruck New Reader
1/14/19 11:57 a.m.

In reply to artur1808 :

I actually need to rerun this. The STL file i used is in units that loaded as mm, so its 25.4x too small. Shouldnt matter but i got better data when i scaled it to actual size. Its also still in "transient" state. If i let it run for like an hour, it changes to "stabilized" and i get better data as well. I'll rerun one now.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/14/19 12:06 p.m.

In reply to artur1808 :

Looks like this model assumes static tires, not rotating. It does make a big difference in absolute results, but in the relative case of splitter vs no splitter, it's still a valid model.

exotruck
exotruck New Reader
1/14/19 1:28 p.m.

I reran it. And yes, static tires. Flowdesign was almost a beta software for there super expensive CFD software so free has its limits

the splitter and the rake angle made very large differences in the model, and i felt these in real life. Once when i added the splitter and even more so when i raised rear end up a bit more for more of an air wedge underneath. Obviously i take the results with a grain of salt. Exo isnt a porsche and it still feels like a deployed a parachute when i let off so i dont know about that drag figure. This test was at 100ft/sec

carwhisperer
carwhisperer Reader
1/14/19 1:41 p.m.

I love everything about it. 

artur1808
artur1808 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/14/19 1:54 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau and exotruck :

Makes sense. My knowledge of CFD is very limited, but I've dealt with it enough to be interested in details and ask questions.

Very cool build! That thing must be an absolute riot to drive.

exotruck
exotruck New Reader
4/23/19 2:30 p.m.

woot woot. First TNIA event tomorrow! Cleaned off all the much and wood chips, checked the oil. Ready!

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/23/19 3:38 p.m.

Something tells me that you'll be the only one there who had to clean off mulch and wood chips before track time...

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mcH2dNoKooPxeZOjMqmUAlhSPEabtFp3zJBLqqgoZJDQCrsh6IsZYN12r8JlIB7V