1 2 3 4
beanco
beanco New Reader
5/5/15 12:24 p.m.

Here it is. How did I manage to get to find myself owning a full size van?

Somehow I got my wife to agree to travel from Illinois to Utah/Colorado next year with these 3 knuckleheads. We have minivan, but that's what it is, mini and not offroad capable. So I set out to find an AWD astro. Then I found out from you guys that they make a AWD full size express van !!! The search was on. Everyone I found was near Chicago and beat, or wasn't sure by the ads if they were AWD. Then last week while out on a service call( I never go, usually have one of my guys do it) I drove past a heavy equipment dealer in town and spotted some vans. So I stopped to look around, what's the chances they would have one. There on the end was a 2007 1500 AWD Express cargo. Looked good and found some oil change receipts in center console box. It was owned by local rail road and oil was changed around 5K-7K miles intervals. It has 238,000 miles,but it fired right up and sounded good. More later, got to get back to work.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/5/15 12:44 p.m.

"Moby Dick" if shooting for the obvious.

beanco
beanco New Reader
5/5/15 2:07 p.m.
Ian F wrote: "Moby Dick" if shooting for the obvious.

Nice, made me laugh. The "White Whale" maybe?

beanco
beanco New Reader
5/5/15 2:10 p.m.

More pics, now I know why they left the shelves. Bolted through the floor with 2" bolts and nylocs! Still haven't removed all.

First thing was to remove all wiring dangling from console(Hot BTW). The 2/0 cable ran from battery behind the bulkhead on drivers side to nothing.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/5/15 2:11 p.m.

Is this even a question?

beanco
beanco New Reader
5/5/15 2:21 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Is this even a question?

I'm from "downstate" The capitol city of Illinois. Although my dad use to drink Old Style

beanco
beanco New Reader
5/5/15 2:30 p.m.

I found the widow sticker in the owners manual. Posi trac rearend, high output alternator, 3.73 gears, thing I knew that were optional: drivers side rear doors, power locks, power windows front,all glass- not a creeper van.

So far I've cleaned all the garbage out of it. Replaced drivers mirror with swap meet score. New wipers.

Wife has yet to look at it. My daughter went for a ride and this is what she said.." Wow, it doesn't even smell". Apparently she's used to the junk I drag home for parts vehicles.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/5/15 3:40 p.m.
beanco wrote:
Ian F wrote: "Moby Dick" if shooting for the obvious.
Nice, made me laugh. The "White Whale" maybe?

Equally obvious.

Nice score on the options. You can probably sell the interior bits on CL and get back a few $100. Those set-ups aren't cheap.

chiodos
chiodos Reader
5/5/15 6:28 p.m.

You should totally bolt an old couch inside with all the appropriate seat belts. The dogs and kid won't even realize they are on a road trip

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
5/5/15 6:52 p.m.

Needs a paint job and a few more travel companions, but this came to mind...

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/5/15 7:16 p.m.

Nice! Are you getting rid of the bulkhead? I've been thinking about getting one for my '98, not sure if yours would fit though?

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/5/15 7:37 p.m.

Name it the bean machine?

beanco
beanco New Reader
5/5/15 8:23 p.m.
petegossett wrote: Nice! Are you getting rid of the bulkhead? I've been thinking about getting one for my '98, not sure if yours would fit though?

It's a universal fit bulkhead. Top has a plate that faces the rear and fastens to the closest roof brace. Where are you located? I don't need any of the inside stuff, make offer.

beanco
beanco New Reader
5/5/15 8:26 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Name it the bean machine?

Wow, how did I not think of that! My daughter approves. I'll change title once I figure out how. Thank you.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/5/15 10:17 p.m.
beanco wrote:
petegossett wrote: Nice! Are you getting rid of the bulkhead? I've been thinking about getting one for my '98, not sure if yours would fit though?
It's a universal fit bulkhead. Top has a plate that faces the rear and fastens to the closest roof brace. Where are you located? I don't need any of the inside stuff, make offer.

I'm 15-miles north of Danville. I have a friend in Niantic who could possibly be an intermediary for us. Not sure I can use any of the other cabinets though. I have them on one side of my van, but I'm tempted to take them out since the eat up so much cargo space. They definitely are handy the rest of the time though.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
5/6/15 1:00 a.m.

So what are your plans for it? Lift? Knobby tires? Overland setup? Just the basics? I like road trip buggies, so I'll be following along!

beanco
beanco New Reader
5/6/15 7:29 a.m.

Plans are 3" lift-new torsion keys up front,Tahoe leaf springs rear. Maybe one tire size bigger. Build front and rear bumpers with receiver for winch. Inside, two rear seats with built in belts(Sienna)bed platform in back. Lots of storage. I grew up traveling the country in my dads construction van, so I have a good idea whats needed.Right now I'm just trying to get the inside stripped and clean. We traveled in beanbag chairs and lawn chairs, 30 years ago........

beanco
beanco New Reader
5/6/15 9:01 a.m.

The van is in good shape for a company vehicle, a few scrapes and one big dent in passenger door. You can see the paint flaking off the door tops and hood is peeling. It also had a remote control spotlight on the roof, removed ,leaving 5 holes filled with silicone. I will weld them shut when I do the holes in floor from cabinets.

Whoever removed spotlight took the switch and remote toggle, but left the dash plate. This bothered me, seeing 3 holes in the dash.

So I dug through my stash and found a power plug and a dash insert from a GEO Tracker.

Drilled a bigger hole with step bit, cut and filed keyway. Cut ears off the back of the dash insert, superglued it on. Installed.

Bad picture, but it turned out great. I'm trying to get something done each night.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
5/6/15 9:17 a.m.

Nothing useful to add. But I love this build. Can't wait to see it progress

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
5/6/15 6:13 p.m.

Great build--the bean Machine--like that too, and family friendly as well

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
5/7/15 5:20 a.m.

Bruce (Jaws reference)? How about Yetti?

My friends ride dirt bikes professionally and my wife's uncle must have 70 of them on his lots so I've seen my share of white vans! Mostly Fords though.

Can't wait to see how yours comes along. Very jealous!

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/7/15 6:51 a.m.

awesome. wish you were closer, i'd love all the work guts for my 07.

beanco
beanco New Reader
5/7/15 7:38 a.m.

Finally got all the cabinets removed. Didn't find any treasures, just dirt. Vacuumed and wiped down interior.

I'll be scrubbing the interior this weekend. Yuck.

1300zuk
1300zuk New Reader
5/7/15 11:39 a.m.

I'm slightly jealous, I want something similar

beanco
beanco New Reader
5/7/15 2:11 p.m.

Saw this on the Hotlink thread, this would give me plenty of room. Although the rear departure angle would suffer greatly.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EUvshTuzvzrYsJFALBDonFm1sBX2tmhzxJQTCQCtVBG3jOFJ7GcdChe547XAx1vU