1 2 3 4
pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
2/28/22 8:04 p.m.

I thought there were sources for new EDIS modules so junkyard crawling wasn't required?

What's the replacement for EDIS with MS2, some kind of daughterboard with proper drivers etc and LS coils?

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
2/28/22 8:10 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

This combination sounds rather Mad Libs ish. I approve.

I wouldn't bother with EDIS - this served its purpose when the MegaSquirt code team was still working on distributorless igntion support, but the current support for distributorless ignitions is so much better that there's no need to hunt for 30 year old Ford ignition modules now.

Thanks for the advice matt. Straight from the source too. What would you recommend?

I think you've assisted me with two other ms projects in the past. Thanks for providing such good support.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
3/1/22 8:26 a.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

I thought there were sources for new EDIS modules so junkyard crawling wasn't required?

What's the replacement for EDIS with MS2, some kind of daughterboard with proper drivers etc and LS coils?

There have been, but they're getting hard to find. An MS2 with minimal mods or a MicroSquirt could read a crank trigger and run a set of LS style coils directly.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/3/22 6:55 p.m.

This should be a hoot.

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
3/15/22 6:57 p.m.

Making some progress on the ol downpipe.

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
3/15/22 6:58 p.m.

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
3/26/22 7:04 p.m.

Finished up the exhaust today.

Pretty happy with the fitment. 2.25" downpipe and 2.5" mid pipe back. 

Next up I need to bleed all the hydraulics and sort out turbo oil feed/drain.

-John

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
4/3/22 4:05 p.m.

Currently waiting for some intercooler pipe components so I tackled one of the water outlets today. 

Moving Right along. Intercooler updates next. Current mock up.

Thanks

-John

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
4/6/22 8:17 a.m.

Intercooler pipes are super simple. Nearly done.

What a pleasure to weld fresh, clean aluminum. Certainly comes out better when the fit up is nice.

,-John

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
4/6/22 9:20 p.m.

Cold side pipe complete and powder coated. Hot side still needs a little work.

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
4/9/22 8:45 p.m.

More progress today. Egr block off plate and hot-side intercooler pipe.

-John

Nitroracer (Forum Supporter)
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/9/22 10:07 p.m.

There is a ton of real estate in front of that F2T, nearly a front mid-engine layout now.

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
4/10/22 9:04 a.m.
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) said:

There is a ton of real estate in front of that F2T, nearly a front mid-engine layout now.

Yeah it's an oddly short motor. Wish I had given myself an extra inch in space between the firewall...but it'll be ok.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
4/10/22 9:29 a.m.

Looking at the shape of your hood hole, how about a 300Z hoodscoop?  It would offer extra rad points and good looks.  

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
4/10/22 10:31 a.m.
84FSP said:

Looking at the shape of your hood hole, how about a 300Z hoodscoop?  It would offer extra rad points and good looks.  

That's a great idea. I'll have to see if I can find the footprint of one of those.

Nitroracer (Forum Supporter)
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/10/22 10:29 p.m.

If not that, maybe a DSM hood bump?  Looks like someone tried it on an RX7.

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
4/11/22 10:15 a.m.
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) said:

If not that, maybe a DSM hood bump?  Looks like someone tried it on an RX7.

Dsm bump would definitely be cool. Luckily a friend has offered up a clean hood, so I can experiment with the damaged one. A plexi cover of some sort was my initial thought.

-John

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
4/12/22 8:44 p.m.

Intercooler pipes complete and installed.

Started working on the intake piping, should be very simple.

Thanks

-John

WondrousBread
WondrousBread New Reader
4/12/22 9:08 p.m.

Your work is excellent and this is a cool swap idea. Keep up the good work, it's been a joy to read.

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
4/13/22 8:20 a.m.
WondrousBread said:

Your work is excellent and this is a cool swap idea. Keep up the good work, it's been a joy to read.

I really appreciate that!

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
4/14/22 10:12 a.m.

Finished up the intake. Really like the way it turned out.

-John

r3vhappy
r3vhappy New Reader
4/14/22 10:46 a.m.

What sort of numbers are you expecting from your setup?

Cool build!

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
4/14/22 12:58 p.m.
r3vhappy said:

What sort of numbers are you expecting from your setup?

Cool build!

Thanks, appreciate it. Planning to run stock boost to start, which should be around 140/180. I'll then turn the boost up to 13psi and should be around 180/240 or so. Then maybe next year I'll get a larger turbo.

-John

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
5/2/22 9:31 p.m.

Not many visible updates but definitely getting closer. Still have some small details to work out but the motor is timed and ready for a trigger wheel. Got a great deal on an old megasquirt so I will be doing edis4. Brakes and clutch bleed and good to go. Radiator hoses done minus expansion tank. Having some issues with throttle cable but I'll sort it out.

-John

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
5/4/22 8:23 a.m.

Trigger wheel had been mounted to the balancer. Getting the sensor in place should be interesting, little closer to the belt drive than I expected but it will be sorted. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aTYXTkWe7w65zUhEUFSL36lmiHSMY2I12M8CS09IqN8Mh2Cz1bwSnOuzkRhIzGYe