Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
7/30/20 8:23 a.m.

Not much of a "build" just a bit of updating finally.

With the addition of a ‘20 Bolt to the fleet I figured it was time to personalize the Volt. To that end I’ve added 20” forged TSW Geneva wheels and Toyo Extensis HP tires 225/35-20. It also got a set of Eibach Pro-kit lowering springs. A little firmer but still comfortable and it handles so much better. I also painted the lower bodywork in body color. And finally, I just had installed a Webasto Hollandia 300 power sunroof, something the car should have had all along.

My commute pre-Covid was only 16 miles round trip (I telework exclusively these days) so the minor hit to the range was not important (besides we have the Bolt for extensive errand running and day trips). And in 40 years of driving custom cars, and sports cars, I’ve never hit a pothole or even curbed a wheel. Damn, I might have jinxed myself there! LOL! I just wanted to make something unique and fun and I think this car fits the bill.

Starting point (in 2013!):

And what I've ended up with after a month of customizing:

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
7/30/20 11:51 a.m.

Nice! Looks like the Target at Rt 40 and 695 in Westview, the urban art is a nice edgy touch.Carry on!

STM317
STM317 UberDork
7/30/20 12:53 p.m.

The painted bodywork does huge favors for that car! Love the color too.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/30/20 1:25 p.m.

Yes, the painted bodywork did wonders for the look of the car. 

iansane (Forum Supporter)
iansane (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/30/20 1:50 p.m.

That looks snazzy!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
7/30/20 1:52 p.m.

Love the moonroof. Definitely a must.. Love the pop up and over, like my old GSR, and the 92 Civic Si / EX coupes

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 HalfDork
7/30/20 2:09 p.m.

Man those wheels look great with the painted trim on that color.  Makes me want to paint mine.  I always wished it was like that from the factory.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
7/30/20 2:11 p.m.
Agent98 said:

Nice! Looks like the Target at Rt 40 and 695 in Westview, the urban art is a nice edgy touch.Carry on!

Target in Pikesville at 695 and 140 on the NW side. Good eye, though! And the before and after pics were taken at the same place, 7 years apart! I've used that backdrop for well over a decade, but this year they repainted it.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
7/30/20 2:12 p.m.
camaroz1985 said:

Man those wheels look great with the painted trim on that color.  Makes me want to paint mine.  I always wished it was like that from the factory.

Do it! They look sooo much better with the painted rockers!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/30/20 3:28 p.m.

Love it. 

dyintorace (Forum Supporter)
dyintorace (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/30/20 7:55 p.m.

Wow. What a change for the better! Sounding like a broken record, that painted lower trim is truly transformational!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
7/30/20 8:00 p.m.

I'll be honest, I was super skeptical when I read 20" wheels.  But that is pretty damn sharp.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
7/31/20 10:25 a.m.

I only wish there were tuners to get more power from the batteries into the motor, or get rid of the limiters that reduce power off the line. The ELR is basically a Volt in fancy clothing, but they did improve power delivery for it. But I can't seem to find it for the Volt. The only tuners I know for the Volt only work on the gas engine, and there is scant more efficiency to get from it as it is. The Volt uses only about 60-75% of it's total battery for propulsion, leaving 26% at the bottom state of charge as a buffer when it's says it's depleted, and the rest at the top as a buffer so that it never gets charged fully and allows a bit for regen braking even when it's "fully charged." The engineers were quite conservative with it, which is why they last so long in real world use, but it's obvious that there's potential there to be tapped. THe Bolt really shows that potential, as it's a MUCH quicker car, and uses much more of it's overall battery SOC.

DAC17
DAC17 None
7/31/20 2:01 p.m.

I had a 2013 Volt; great job!  Roughly how much range did you lose through the mods?

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
7/31/20 2:38 p.m.

In reply to DAC17 :

Don't really know, haven't had them on there long enough. I'm still able to go farther than the GOM says, so not much loss (maybe 10-15%). But my pre-COVID commute was only 16 miles round trip, so I never came close to using all the range it already had, even in the winter. And now that I am teleworking 5 days a week, I don't do ANY commuting.

The wheels are the same size as the ELR had, which was just a Volt in a fancy suit, and those had the same or longer range than the Gen1s. The tires definitely grip better, though. The ride is a bit harsher over expansion joints, however. But it's not bad overall.

We also got hit with 100 degree weather for a week after I got it, and I was using the AC in comfort mode, which uses up a bit of range itself.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
11/27/20 3:46 p.m.

Last pics before winter sets in....

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
11/27/20 4:01 p.m.

Gorgeous!!! 

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 HalfDork
12/3/20 9:14 a.m.

I'm probably biased (owning a 2014), but the Gen 1 Volt looks sooooooo much better than the Gen 2, and with the plastic painted body color, and the wheels, yours looks just about perfect.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tdLZferZ9Du0C3JKoFJMkGTNg8mFb62KYJUpQhSRlOPiONTWCSlIKXC3utx9rIYp