1 2 3 ... 12
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/8/21 11:02 a.m.

Adding this to my other "Family 4-Runner" thread was a bit of a mistake.  Enough has happened with this that I can really see it needs its own thread.  If you were interested, there's a few pages here:

The Hungary Family 4-Runner

(it starts about half way down)

That covers everything in great detail, but the short and sweet of it is, I bought a VERY used First Generation 4-Runner for about $6000usd.  Exact year is unknown at the moment as the Europeans go by when the vehicle was first registered (1989) and none of the VIN decoders I find can translate a European VIN.  Ah well...  My only issue here is that 1989 had a generational difference in it, right in the middle.  Calling it a 1989 here has already caused me to get the wrong part more than once.

This thing was an exercise in bodge by its previous owner.  Trucks like this are bigger than anything out here barring agricultural equipment and they share all the same uses.  Duct tape and mud pretty much were stuffed everywhere and maintenance was non existant.  Plug wires were burned, manifolds were cracked, diffs were puking fluid...  all fun stuff.

These things make me happy though, so I soldiered on and that brings us to present day.

She's up, she's running, and she just got back from paint:

(she's dirty, I promise I'll do plenty of pretty shots when summer rolls back around)

The bull bar bumper is gone, the LPG kit is gone, all the fluids (save for the coolant) have been changed, all the bodge has been unbodged.  Most recently I had to change a throttle position sensor because the old one wouldn't recognize "idle".  The problem with that is, if it doesn't know it's idling then it kicks the timing way advanced and you cant put a timing gun on it.  When all that was fixed, I found the timing needed to be advanced about 5-degrees from where it had been set these last two years.

All was good for about a day, until I started having shifter issues.  I've replaced a leaking clutch master cylinder, verified there are no cracks in the clutch fork or the clutch pedal bracket, and am currently waiting on shifter bushings from Marlin Crawler to try to fix it.

These two little chunkies (below)

Came out from where the shifter (above) meets transmission.  There's a bushing in the area that could be the cause of the issues.  For more, here's the advice thread on that one:

Diagnose my shifting issues

So there we are!  All up to speed.  Goals for the truck are simple:

1) Load family

2) go on adventures.

Begin smiley

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/8/21 11:29 a.m.

Holy berkeley those are expensive there. 

1/8/21 12:50 p.m.
Mndsm said:

Absolute unicorns, man.  I saw one (singular) other Toyota 4x4 of this generation about 6 years ago and it was over $10,000.  Most of the people I talk to say they were used until they were used up, and then sent to Africa to be used some more.  Kind of cool as a conversation piece, but a pain when it comes to finding parts.

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/8/21 1:48 p.m.

Those are neat, but here on the east coast they are definitely unicorns. 

Give the european EPC a shot, will not give you the exact year but with the frame number it will give you the correct parts:

Toyota Europe EPC

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/8/21 2:23 p.m.

I'm just happy to read about Bill playing with cars and looking forward to family pictures again. His threads are the best. 

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/8/21 3:36 p.m.

Very cool!

There is a special sticker coming to you. It's from the Tacovatos in southern california. They are a bunch of Toyota overlander/desert runners. I knew you'd have a place for it.

I look forward to more and may have to show off my Tacoma here one day.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/8/21 6:13 p.m.
Mndsm said:

Dude, have you priced them here?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/8/21 6:16 p.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) :

Let me take a look at my left over parts and make a list. See if there's anything you can use. Mine was a grey interior 5spd 22RE. 

Wonder what shipping is to Hungary?

OneSickGNX
OneSickGNX New Reader
1/9/21 4:22 p.m.

Nice find. They are getting pricy just about anywhere if they are in decent shape. I had an 89 Sr5 with the 3.0 v6, 5 speed, and 4x4. I really, really miss that truck.... (May have to buy another one day soon, before they are priced like fj 40s and the like.) I had a shot to buy an 88 v6 auto with about 40k on it for a song a few years back and I'm kicking myself for not getting it. 

1/11/21 8:09 a.m.
Slippery (Forum Supporter) said:

Those are neat, but here on the east coast they are definitely unicorns. 

Give the european EPC a shot, will not give you the exact year but with the frame number it will give you the correct parts:

Toyota Europe EPC

I bet!  Salt and sand are not kind mistresses (mistressessesses?).

I tried the link but it looks like my chassis number is close, but doesnt directly match.  RN610 is what I was able to find on my paperwork, but I might be missing something:

RN61LG or LV looks to be the closest, I think:

Good times

1/11/21 8:10 a.m.
preach (fs) said:

Very cool!

There is a special sticker coming to you. It's from the Tacovatos in southern california. They are a bunch of Toyota overlander/desert runners. I knew you'd have a place for it.

I look forward to more and may have to show off my Tacoma here one day.

Awesome!   and thank you!  I shall display it with pride laugh  I've got a special trip coming up in almost exactly a year.  I shall do the Tacovatos proud and take lots of pictures.

1/11/21 8:12 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Let me take a look at my left over parts and make a list. See if there's anything you can use. Mine was a grey interior 5spd 22RE. 

Wonder what shipping is to Hungary?

Hey, whatever it is it'd be worth it for peace of mind and I'd gladly pay it.  To put things into perspective, I ordered the Marlincrawler shifter bushings before winter break and they've yet to arrive.  So yeah, if you find any spares, let me know for sure!

1/11/21 8:15 a.m.
OneSickGNX said:

Nice find. They are getting pricy just about anywhere if they are in decent shape. I had an 89 Sr5 with the 3.0 v6, 5 speed, and 4x4. I really, really miss that truck.... (May have to buy another one day soon, before they are priced like fj 40s and the like.) I had a shot to buy an 88 v6 auto with about 40k on it for a song a few years back and I'm kicking myself for not getting it. 

Man, back when I was in highschool (late 90's) I had more than one buddy with an FJ.  Two had 40's, one had a 60.  Those darn 40's have gone through the roof!  I had an opportunity to buy one my Sophomore year with a 327 swapped in for like $2000 (this was 1996 bucks) and have been kicking myself ever since.

Cant touch a rusted tub out here for under $10k these days.

1/11/21 8:19 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

haha, thanks!  Admittedly I've been a bit salty towards projects after the Alfa.  Working for 5 years on something and only getting to drive it twice was kind of rough and a bit of a motivation killer if I'm honest.  Now that we've decided to settle down again I do have plans for another build, but I have to finish our house first (currently in the "demolish" state of renovation).  But you'll be happy to hear, I've still got the Hungarlings busy at work.  Here's a few pictures of the youngest when we changed the oil in the trans and transfer case (back when the shifting issues first started):

Good times laugh

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/11/21 9:16 a.m.

I know I have a 22R block heater for the winter, lots of front seat bits, and MAF in good condition. As soon as I get my toolboxes sorted, I'll take a pick of the spares. 

2/4/21 8:10 a.m.

Finally!!!!!

Lets recap:  ordered in mid-december, this little bad boy cost me $25.

Shipping to Hungary: $45

Border tax: $40

I once hauled some Suzuki 4x4 body bushings to Australia with me on a work trip.  After seeing the $5 shipping to my house in the states, plus the $12 in shipping to that person's house within Australia, i really had a hard time understanding how i could possibly be saving him any money...

Now i understand surprise

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/4/21 9:13 a.m.

I think any Toyota sport ute or truck that hasn't fell victim to the frame rust issues from the 80's-2000's are going to be worth hanging onto.  A 4runner is one of the only vehicles that I have bought over and over again.

2/4/21 9:28 a.m.
Placemotorsports said:

I think any Toyota sport ute or truck that hasn't fell victim to the frame rust issues from the 80's-2000's are going to be worth hanging onto.  A 4runner is one of the only vehicles that I have bought over and over again.

This is my third Toyota from this era.  My first was an 87 4x4 i bought in 2003.  These and things with rotary engines...  i dont know what it is.

2/4/21 9:32 a.m.

Ok, installation:

Old vs new

Installed:

And installed!

Now in the before times there'd be a test drive post that follows, but this is the COVID era...  

And in the COVID era, we're quarantined...  again...

To be continued...

2/5/21 12:02 a.m.

You know what?  Covid quarantine be darned.  It's like Jack Burton always says:  "When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, looks you crooked in the eye, and asks you if you paid your dues; you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and take your new shifter bushings out for a test drive!"

Looks like 3rd gear might still be a bit of an issue... indecision

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
2/5/21 12:17 p.m.

I lol'd hard. So is third gear really an issue? Or just in your comprehensive test video? 

2/5/21 1:10 p.m.
Mezzanine said:

I lol'd hard. So is third gear really an issue? Or just in your comprehensive test video? 

Only in testing so far.  Real world results to follow, pending negative COVID test results on monday.

2/9/21 11:09 a.m.

Bleh.  Test came back positive...  The delays continue. 

Good times.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/9/21 11:12 a.m.
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) said:

This makes me happy. Very happy. Keep on doing things. 

2/11/21 3:08 a.m.
Appleseed said:

I know I have a 22R block heater for the winter, lots of front seat bits, and MAF in good condition. As soon as I get my toolboxes sorted, I'll take a pick of the spares. 

When you say "front seat bits", might you mean the mechanism that allows the seat recline to be adjusted?  Because that would be an absolute godsend  (the driver's seat is currently tacked into it's present position with a couple tack welds). 

Good times.

1 2 3 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eiEC5HqdBlbCBcxkodqnsGv8FgtXd2HjfcwU2mSqdc7wmpkoYPL3KQUGixKYWwaY