Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
10/17/22 1:25 p.m.

Good news is i can buy the extended range battery at my cost for 23K....unreal

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
10/17/22 1:34 p.m.
Norma66-Brent said:

Pricing just dropped into estimating software.

WOOF

Idk, isn't that pretty normal for major parts of a brand new car? A friend of mine had a new E92 M3's engine replaced after driving through deep water (not his wisest decision), and IIRC the insurance company paid $30k for the new engine. 

By this logic, it looks like a new M4 engine costs $72,000 plus a $20,000 core charge:

https://www.bmwpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/bmw-engine-9100000p58-05748334245?c=bD01Jm49U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHMmYT1ibXcmbz1tNCZ5PTIwMjImdD1iYXNlJmU9My0wbC1sNi1nYXM%3D

New car parts are expensive until the aftermarket/age steps in.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/17/22 6:45 p.m.
Norma66-Brent said:

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

It has built in scales. I will get a picture of it next time I have it hooked up to something.

That's pretty slick.

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
10/17/22 8:38 p.m.

In reply to tremm :

8 years 100k on the original. No clue on a replacement

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
10/17/22 9:03 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

I agree the aftermarket will step in here but I think there is a real limiting factor in lithium supply. Demand is exploding and supply isn't keeping up. 

But then again battery technological advances will probably make it so this whole battery worry isn't even gonna be a factor in ten years.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
10/17/22 9:21 p.m.

^3rd world countries are going berserk looking for lithium within their borders. And finding it.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
10/20/22 7:51 p.m.

In reply to Norma66-Brent :

I saw the twin to your Lightening pulling a 5th wheel trailer heading for Texas.  I'd stopped at a roadside rest for my wife to use the restroom.  She met the wife of the family that had bought her Grandfather's resort. They had just sold the resort and we're heading down to Texas to live out their retirement.  
     Anyway we spent a good 1/2 hour chatting about everything. Finally I had to ask. 
I thought the range on big trailers behind an electric was terrible. 
      Turns out he has a generator in the bed charging the battery quietly.  While they were stopped.  She has an issue  where she has to stop every hour or so to go to the bathroom. So it works out for them.   
    Apparently he can almost get 100 miles on a charge.  Then 30-40 minutes of charging and they are ready to go again. 
 I forgot to ask if that was a Ford charger or something he bought himself.  

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
10/20/22 10:05 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

It's a interesting idea he had. Don't know the practicality. Charging that fast is supposed to be rough on the battery.

in other news the lighting is losing range like crazy. I have lost almost 40 miles compared to the rated full range. The weather seems to be dropping kWh drastically. It's been 30f at night and 60's during the day. 
need to start plugging in at night and see if having the grid warm the truck up helps. I have been leaving the truck outside unplugged at night

therealpinto
therealpinto GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/21/22 1:20 a.m.

My experience from the Mach-E is that the GOM ("guess-o-meter") quickly becomes pessimistic when it gets colder. That does not necessarily mean actual range is as bad as the car guesses it to be.

But yes, plugging in to pre-heat (with scheduled departure times) is surely wise.  I "always" plug it in, my wife...not as often. But the general idea at our house is to have it plugged in as much as possible. But we have the charge target set to 60% at home, meaning in a usual work week we "never" charge at home since we have charging included at work. It's only the pre-heating that is drawn from the wall box at home (much like the electric block and cabin heater we always have had in our ICE).

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/21/22 8:14 a.m.

The cold weather isn't so bad on the Bolt but using the heat is. I don't use it much (in an ICE vehicle either) since I dress for the weather and use heated seats and steering wheel. I definitely warm the car up before I set out in the morning via the wall power as well. In the 30s and 40s the range is barely changed with the HVAC off.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
10/21/22 10:44 a.m.
Norma66-Brent said:

In reply to frenchyd :

It's a interesting idea he had. Don't know the practicality. Charging that fast is supposed to be rough on the battery.

in other news the lighting is losing range like crazy. I have lost almost 40 miles compared to the rated full range. The weather seems to be dropping kWh drastically. It's been 30f at night and 60's during the day. 
need to start plugging in at night and see if having the grid warm the truck up helps. I have been leaving the truck outside unplugged at night

When Ford announced the truck they showed an generator in the bed. As an option. Since then I've read nothing about it. So is one available or did he make his own?  
      As far as fast charging. It seems according to a few sources the battery does lose about 15% of capacity in the first few years and then plateaus for at least a decade.  Charging method doesn't seem to matter. The high mileage Tesla's used as taxi's seems to verify that.  
    I plan on buying a small gas generator and putting it in the trunk. More for range anxiety than any serious attempt to extend range.  Sort of like having a spare tire. 

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
10/23/22 2:55 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd : to get any meaningful charging your gonna need something that can run 220. Honestly as long as you have a 220 outlet at home your chargered every night so there really shouldn't be many issues

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
10/23/22 2:56 p.m.

I got a adapter to run from my welder outlet at home to the mobile charger 14-50 plug. So now I have the truck level two charging at home. Will be a game changer. Should be able to charge at night for low kw cost and be full every day

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
10/23/22 6:05 p.m.

I'm not planning on ever needed to use it. But I know it will solve my wife's range anxiety.  Just like having a spare tire does.  
   I mean they came out with run flat tires that were good for 50 miles and that solved the flat tire anxiety.   

I've got 220 all over in the garage/shop  so I can weld etc.  I just made  220 extension cords and I'm still using the same ones 30 years later. I made sure they were more than heavy enough gauge  for my biggest welder.  Even with 30ft cords I don't get any significant voltage drop.  I e got several ends on the extension cords.  But I keep meaning to standardize  everything and be able to go out in the driveway to weld. 
 I also use those for my wood working equipment.   Since everything is on wheels I can shove them out of my way and still use them anywhere  in the shop. 
  The shop is 50 x 30. And 50x36.   When I'm working on 20+ft long boards I need the whole length of the shop. 

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
10/23/22 8:47 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

I have been using a extension cord we made for our spot welder to charge the truck and it's been great. Really suprising how much versatility it brings to your spaces. In Iowa it gets cold in the winter so shop space is always a premium

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
12/3/22 10:47 a.m.

3k mile update. having my first real "problem" with the truck . I can't get the truck to update to the new OTA update. Can't get it or update on Wi-Fi or just cellar. More to come

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/4/22 2:42 p.m.

one note about pre-warming the vehicle when it's plugged in - that's recommended by Ford. It's not just making the interior comfortable, it's also warming up the motors and battery. I usually pre-warm the EV when we're going to be leaving the house even though it lives in a warm-ish garage.

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
1/20/23 10:36 p.m.

truck is about to roll over 5k miles. No real major issues other than the truck won't update to the latest update. There's a specific procedure to drive 20 min and lock/unlock all the doors and it should update. 

did have my first real oh "Berk" moment today in the truck. Someone pulled out in front of me and two large coffees went projectile shooting all over the truck. Good news Ford has drains built into the cup holder, that's kind of neat. 

Saw another lightning in the wild. Only the second one I have seen running around. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
1/21/23 2:24 p.m.
Norma66-Brent said:

In reply to Tom Suddard :

I agree the aftermarket will step in here but I think there is a real limiting factor in lithium supply. Demand is exploding and supply isn't keeping up. 

But then again battery technological advances will probably make it so this whole battery worry isn't even gonna be a factor in ten years.

Recent program on TV addressed that issue.  Roughly 50% of current lithium  batteries are in Cell phones , games, toys etc and when they are done they get tossed into trash.   Almost never recycled. 
 The car batteries 95%  ( goal of 98% )  are being recycled.  In fact the recycling plants are now getting some toys/ cell phones etc.  to see if they can figure out an economical way to recycle. 
  On a personal level I have a 8 year old lithium jump starter for cars and it's now around 65% life left.   I wonder what I'll do when it gets much lower.  I'm thinking I might pirate the battery and stick it in the Challenge car.   If it's not enough to crank over that big V12  just use a lead acid battery to jump start it?  

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
1/27/23 10:24 p.m.

did the first maintance on the truck. 5005 miles in. Rotated the tires. Tires appear to be wearing pretty poorly, this first 5k miles has been quite hard on them. Lots of WOW pulls in the truck. The independent rear suspension is wild

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
1/29/23 10:17 p.m.

What about entry height?   The biggest objection I have with my Ford is how stupid high it is.  My wife needs to be lifted up to the running board.  I have a little plastic step stool to check the engine oil and the stupid tailgate is chest high. 
  I'm average height 5'9" 

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent HalfDork
1/29/23 10:22 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd : well checking engine oil isn't something you need to do in this truck lol. I'm 6'3" and it feels as high as a normal ice f150

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
1/29/23 10:24 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

What kind of Ford?

My 94 year old father loved my F150. It was a Platinum trim- with wide retractable running boards. He could get in and out if it easier than a mini van.  Because the grab handles were perfectly located, and the running board was wide enough to stand comfortably with 2 feet (like an intermediate landing).  It was high, but MUCH easier for him.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/30/23 8:28 a.m.

Looks like a pretty standard semi-trailing arm to me. A heckin' chonker of a trailing arm, but nothing revolutionary there, other than the application being a full-size pickup.

1 ... 9 10 11 12 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KvDLvlOuRLEniQuawYVMCGbZKK5geGpqSzxkplR9ApiykvTBsxqWTzH1aLmLVLiC