CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/25/18 12:42 p.m.

I have a Volvo 1800ES that I am (hopefully) going to begin working on soon - been off the road in storage for almost 20 years.  Given that there are relatively few of these left that are more or less rust free, I am not interested in cutting it up.  I am interested in some additional power.  Problem is that the engine bay is small on these cars and fitting the usual suspects seems to require quite a bit of carving to make them work.

The B20 that is in the car can be bored out to 2.1L and, with a cam and some expensive porting by someone who really knows these heads, can make 180 hp or so -  total cost $5K - 7K .

A couple of days ago, I found a thread on another board where a 2.3l Lima (Pinto) engine had a Volvo B234 16 valve head installed.  From what I gathered (and the Internet doesn't lie), this combo produces a NA engine that will produce close to 200 hp for far less than building the B20. The 2.3 Ford bottom end is supposed to be bulletproof, so this peaked my interest.

Here are the questions I have:

Anyone done this?  What kind of power does it produce?  Perhaps as important, how tall /  wide is this combo?

I have started gathering parts for the B20, but am not to the point of total commitment... yet

Thanks

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
3/25/18 1:00 p.m.

I have no information to add but this sounds interesting, we have a few Volvo gurus here I am sure they will be along later.

Paul B

RossD
RossD MegaDork
3/25/18 1:17 p.m.

I would suggest a Volvo engine. Honestly, the volvo head on the lima engine was to try to put a DOHC head on aging tech. It really doesnt make sense if you are trying to maintain some sense of OEM continuity by not cutting up the car, i would grab a more modern Volvo and find a rwd trans to work with it. Did the Volvo that shared the Focus/Mazda3 share the Duratec/MZR engine? That would give you a "Volvo" engine and it bolts rwd transmissions.

CJ
3/25/18 1:51 p.m.

In reply to RossD :

From what I have read, more modern Volvo engines will not fit without significant changes in the engine compartment and modifying the hood for clearance - of course, that may be completely wrong, too...

My thinking wasn't so much maintaining the Volvo brand, it was picking up a inline 4 with about the same footprint as the original engine that made some more power. 

It may be that the best option is to just commit to the B20.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
3/25/18 4:14 p.m.

The title of the thread is a little misleading. Maybe try a new thread titled, "Easy engine swaps into Volvo P1800?" I agree that much money to make that power from an ancient B20 is crazy. There must be something that fairly easily fits and makes decent power. 

GPz11
GPz11 Reader
3/25/18 7:20 p.m.

Try turboford.org for info on the Folvo combo

buzzboy
buzzboy Reader
3/25/18 7:53 p.m.

Where do you live? I'll be selling some B20 hop up parts soon.

From what I've read on the B234 head swap there are some cooling passage issues that are tough to address after all the other stuff you have to modify.

CJ
3/25/18 8:15 p.m.

Yeah, clutchsmoke, guess I was too focused on that particular engine. 

I'm kind of torn about the B20. It appeals to me is some kind of twisted way to push an old tractor engine that made 120hp up close to 200hp.... but the $$$ is just silly.

Might have to re-think some of this.  Car has a BW 3-speed automatic now.  I picked up a correct Volvo OD trans, the pedals, and the correct driveline for the swap, but none of that would be needed if I found a more modern engine.  The '73 1800ES has Bosch fuel injection, but I was planning on Megasquirt, since I am sure that the existing Bosch system would not be able to keep up.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
3/25/18 8:42 p.m.

Does the whole B234 not fit where the B20 is now?  What about a turbo on the B20?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/25/18 8:43 p.m.

The 2.3 ford won't fit any better than a modern volvo engine. It you are going to swap why not a 16v volvo redblock? It has more chance of fitting since it is leaned over a bit. 

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
3/25/18 9:58 p.m.

I have had the head, and a few complete Lima's in the shop.  I never got to combine.  Having to move out of state made me sell off stuff since it was planned for a Lemons car.  You can make it work, I even went so far as to purchase GSXR carbs to run on the thing.  For what it is, it is an upgrade.  It will outflow most heads out there.  If you can run across a head for pretty cheap, get it, and try it.  Whats the worst that can happen?

The Lima has the distributor in block so, whatever is on the top will need to just have the cam timing setup.  Which, make sure ot pay attention as you need to make sure to get the proper version so it will all work out correctly.  Yes, you can just buy a whole engine, but why?

CJ
3/25/18 10:44 p.m.
pres589 said:

Does the whole B234 not fit where the B20 is now?  What about a turbo on the B20?

The packaging is a PIA. It is pretty cramped with just the B20 in there.  There was a guy making a supercharger kit that used a water to air intercooler and a Autorotor supercharger; the packaging looked to work.  The guy making them delivered a few and then became a berklying E36 M3... Takes peoples $$ and delivers no product, so that's out.

EvanB said:

The 2.3 ford won't fit any better than a modern volvo engine. It you are going to swap why not a 16v volvo redblock? It has more chance of fitting since it is leaned over a bit. 

I really need to get into a yard and do some measuring.  What I have read says no to the later motors, but the only way to know for sure is to get out there with a tape.  My thinking on the 2.3 was that the block *might* be shorter than the Volvo, making a bit more room under the hood.  Likely wishful thinking.

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
3/25/18 11:12 p.m.

2.3 are big and heavy. About the same length as a sbf and about the same weight. I used to be into tbird turbocoupes. Been awhile now but as I recall bottom end was good up to 500hp or so. I would go archaic they were good in there time but so many better options these days. 

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
3/25/18 11:16 p.m.

The whole engine was Iron though, if you swap a Aluminum head, you can shave some weight from that.  But yes, they are heavy engines.  The 2.3 with the turbo from the factory was about equal to the 5.0. 

therealpinto
therealpinto GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/26/18 4:00 a.m.

As much as I like Ford engines I see no real reason for making it so complex into a Volvo.

The complete B234F can be fitted, if you need it standing straight up you can use B20 parts (sump and oil pickup). There are several swaps here in Sweden, many B23 based but also a number of T5's.

Gustaf

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
3/26/18 8:21 a.m.

I could provide measurements.

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/27/18 3:11 p.m.

what about a whiteblock 4cylinder, from an S/V40?
you'd be making mounts and an exhaust manifold, and importing a whiteblock M90, making a driveshaft and sourcing flywheel/clutch stuff from car-part or something (from an 850/S/V/70), but it would be lighter and most likely package better.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TNP6NHNbqSWOIXa74sqfcSmh9hEskEBuFPr52LorHH96dPt7dkv8T62WApGSpvcH