1 2 3 4
NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/14/20 3:58 p.m.

Engine and Volvo 740 wagon are secured. Proof of concept was done when we were building the 760 challenge Volvo as shown in the pic. This should start tomorrow. I mean what could go wrong?

Pete

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/14/20 4:01 p.m.
NOHOME said:

I mean what could go wrong?

Pete

I'm not going there, just make sure you have more than one key! laugh

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/14/20 4:03 p.m.

Well, this will be interesting

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
3/14/20 4:06 p.m.

Two thumbs up!

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/14/20 4:54 p.m.
gumby said:
NOHOME said:

I mean what could go wrong?

Pete

I'm not going there, just make sure you have more than one key! laugh

Burn!

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/14/20 5:11 p.m.

Drove the donor into the shop before harvesting the hear. Should be ok. 

OR I get to learn some new E36 M3 that I dont even know that I dont know yet!

Time budget is three months, so expect regular updates.

Azryael
Azryael Reader
3/14/20 5:36 p.m.

If you can accomplish this in three months, there's no reason I can't do what I need to do in a similar amount of time.

What trans are you going with?

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/14/20 6:50 p.m.

In reply to Azryael :

Manual 5 speed.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/14/20 7:15 p.m.

Fantabulous. Looking forward to seeing this happen!

I can't see what I can't see, but is that as tight as it looks in the exhaust manifold department with the strut towers?

Azryael
Azryael Reader
3/14/20 7:30 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Following with further increased interest.

orthoxstice
orthoxstice New Reader
3/14/20 11:44 p.m.

There's at least two of these documented in 240's on Turbobricks but I don't think I've seen a 7/9 series car with one. As with anything Volvo, I'll be watching with interest!

Azryael
Azryael Reader
3/15/20 8:31 a.m.

In reply to orthoxstice :

I'm gonna have to look those up. If this can be done in a 200-series Volvo, it can be done in what I would be interested in doing it in.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/15/20 10:28 a.m.
Ransom said:

Fantabulous. Looking forward to seeing this happen!

I can't see what I can't see, but is that as tight as it looks in the exhaust manifold department with the strut towers?

Am optimistic it can be done with stock manifolds and positive it can be done with some effort.

What you cant see , because the exhaust ports are UNDER the head, is how far inboard the exhaust ports are. Not really wider than the 302 in that respect.

In a perfect world, this should be as simple as dropping a Mod engine into a Fox body; mostly nuts and bolts.There is hope that the entire y pipe from a 96? Mustang cobra will bolt on to the back of the stock exhaust manifolds. Or can be made to do so!

We already know how to activate the clutch using the same Miata pedal cluster and cylinders that we used on the Challenge volvo  760( kept those when the car was parted out) so that is done.

Question is if the brake booster can be kept or what path will be availble other than manual brakes.

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/15/20 10:40 a.m.

The biggest "why not" I suspect is because the LS motor is smaller + more powerful for the same (less?) money.

But if you've got everything lying around and are willing to put in the work, the rest of us certainly appreciate you sharing what is sure to be a cool and unique car!

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
3/15/20 10:43 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Challenge friendly?

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/15/20 6:16 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

It could be, but to be honest, if the car is to have a life as a "Real" car I would rather not try and cut challenge corners. Besides this one belong to one of the other Petes, so no real interest in doing the budget accounting.

Day one, we got the fleet shuffled to make way and the 740 drove into the shop. Almost a shame to kill the 4 banger cause it sure was a sweet runner.

Engine is ready to be plucked out. 

Will yank the lump out tomorrow night, power wash the rust protectant oil and most likely have pics of the mockup engine in the bay. Fingers crossed this does not get too complicated.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/17/20 6:59 a.m.

Couple of hours in the shop last night and this got done.

Out with the old

In with the new

Looks mostly happy in there. Both exhaust manifolds are on. DS clear everything with room to spare

Couple of tight spots but they might cancell out. 

The exhaust on the PS does not quite clear the frame. Not too far off what we had to deal with  when doing the 302 swap,

Good news is that the exhaust is steel and can be cut and welded, so if need be the collector can be cutt off and a downpipe added to the end. That might be a good idea even if we find clearance by moving the engine over a bit to the DS.

And the reason that the engine should be able to move over is because this booster has to go. Looking like manual brakes for this ride. 

Looks right at home in there. All kinds of room up front due to the way the mod engines mount the accessories. Note that the genertor is in place and there are no engine bit that will stick out further than this.

And if anyone is wondering if the hood will close

This has been a fun build so far. Because the owner is an avid collector of parts, the budget including the real engine waiting to go in has been $0.  I think the goal is to have it done for around $500 with the driveshaft being the most expensive item on the shopping list.

Next up is to build  and weld engine mount pedestals off the cross member. Kept the transmission crossmember when we parted the challenge car and it should be good to go with this one. 

Pete 

Will
Will UltraDork
3/17/20 7:54 a.m.

Can you go with hydroboost brakes in place of the vacuum booster? Should be able to use all factory parts.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
3/17/20 8:06 a.m.

Why not clearance the frame rail on the pass side in order to keep the brake booster?

orthoxstice
orthoxstice New Reader
3/17/20 8:24 a.m.

Hey before you go to manual brakes you should look into the 16 valve booster. The 1989-1991 7/940 GLE cars had a 16 valve engine that used a much thinner brake booster. Looks like Rockauto has it for about $80.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
3/17/20 8:55 a.m.

Out of curiosity, what is the advantage of the 4.6 over a 302?  Dollar per HP, weight, etc? 

If the answer is "Because" that's totally fine, too.  laugh

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/17/20 8:57 a.m.

The challenge car had the thinner booster

You can see in the picture below that the PS exhaust had a very similar interference issue that was fixed with a hamer and by grinding the bejeeeeessssuusz off the collector flange. If we weld a tube to the manifold, there wont be any need to maneuver wobble sockets up to the collector to attache the sumbeech.

The trade-off is that it was a much larger diameter and I am not sure it will clear the back of the valve cover. It might.

We did test fit the mod engine in the challenge car when we were cleaing up the bay, but the location was not as precise/defined as the current effort

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/17/20 7:56 p.m.

agree, see if you can find a 16V booster.  

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/17/20 8:05 p.m.

Maybe a hydroboost system?

I've also seen electric boosters before.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
3/17/20 11:23 p.m.

Cool project, but if this was a 240 thread I'd buy the one ive been staring at on CL and put a v10 in it. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wAcwZOKPLO4srBXcrQmqmk6jOS4f6YCdZSCa3EYXarRPIKBhNN3VNZ9Ohl7PVm9S