1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
10/1/22 2:50 p.m.

I realize I didn't read the word "epoxy" anywhere in your posts. Must be polyester if you're using a wax hotcoat. I've forgotten to add the wax/styrene to my hotcoats before and wondered "why isn't this thing sanding for E36 M3?" Whoops

Box4VIR
Box4VIR GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/1/22 5:04 p.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

Yep!  Exactly this.   Unforutnely it took me 6 body panels to realize my mistake

Box4VIR
10/2/22 5:09 p.m.

Car is back on the ground and a almost complete test is in progress  still lots of trimming, sanding, painting, etc etc   The over fenders are also missing here  most of the front fenders are covered by an over fender flare

Box4VIR
10/6/22 11:22 a.m.

The test fitting continues, the over fenders turned out great.  They're still covered in wax so excuse the finish.  I've had my eye set on "finishing all the panels" but I think this trimming, adjusting, attaching process is going to be a massive undertaking.  

dave215
dave215 New Reader
10/6/22 1:12 p.m.

Looks like you have the technique down .The results are impressive .Talk about scope creep ...............

NorseDave
NorseDave HalfDork
10/6/22 3:38 p.m.
Box4VIR said:

well, the roof came out a little rough.  I hid some of the problems with these round air intakes.  I stole the air intake design off a 90s supercar.   Who recognizes the car I took the design from?

How am I just seeing this now?  And, ... EB110.  Looks great.

Box4VIR
10/7/22 9:58 a.m.

In reply to dave215 :

Speaking of scope creep....   I'm thinking of redoing the rear fenders.  Originally I made the rear fenders out of aluminum and didn't have the ability to do compound curves (I didn't have shaping tools) so I was very limited and what I could make.  I ended up with the design below and cut the back of the fenders to match the taillight shape.  Then I added a wing that required the taillights to be cut in half and all of a sudden the design didn't work

Original rear fender design.  Back of fenders matched to taillights shape

Once the rear wing was added it looked like this...

New design prototype.  This design looks better in person than it does in photos, but it still needs some work.  I'm not sure what to do with the bumper in particular.  It looks bad without the bumper on becuase of all the crap behind the motor.  One day I could relocate the oil system, and other stuff and pull off a more open look.  Any ideas on how to bring this design across the line?  The aluminum would be replaced with carbon.  

dave215
dave215 New Reader
10/7/22 2:09 p.m.

I am defiantly a very poor designer but one idea would be to make big vents .Simple tube structure to follow outside curve and compound curves of the bumper cover .Cover with a mesh or screen  . Hopefully some of the talented designers on the forum will weigh in .

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
10/7/22 3:44 p.m.

At first I thought the bumper looked unfinished and not good. 

then I started to like it. 

then I reverted to thinking something was off. 

I thought of several options that all could work but none seemed just right.  

then I think I came up with one but I'm not sure if you can do it with the stock bumper - at least not easily.   But it is a simple fix (imho):

take that horizontal surface of the bumper from the wing mount outboard and cut that triangle piece out.  Then pull the end of the bumper  cover in so the wing support continues  down into the bumper cover. 

I'll try to draw it on my phone.  

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
10/7/22 3:49 p.m.

Here is what I'm thinking:

cut the red out and then fold the bumper in along the yellow. 

and, just for aesthetics, i'd make/add a piece to the support as outlined in blue to  eliminate the incongruous line of the mount (it would be part of the mount and behind the fenders)

Box4VIR
10/7/22 7:18 p.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

I'm not sure why I didn't think of this.  Great idea.  Maybe I can cut the bumper back the yellow line and cover all the areas you mention with a carbonfiber or aluminum piece.  I could even extend it down to shield the diffuser from the air spinning off the tires. 

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
10/7/22 10:02 p.m.

That will look great!

Box4VIR
10/8/22 3:55 p.m.

I took jfryjfry's above advice and it made a big difference.  Still needs some help, maybe rounding the corners?  There's just to much flat aluminum right now I think

Box4VIR
10/9/22 6:41 p.m.

Ok finally update on this side project. I'm calling it done. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/9/22 6:51 p.m.

Hot!

Box4VIR
10/21/22 6:21 p.m.

I'm having too much fun getting side tracked with these little side projects to finish the original body.  It's beginning to be more batmobile than racecar.  

Box4VIR
10/26/22 5:36 p.m.

I've already but the brand new front fenders, rear fenders and rear bumper in half so why not cut the doors in half to?  The new design opens up the intercoolers more and adds a nice water line from the open front fenders, cut doors and rear open fenders.  I left the part of rthe door that turns back into the car and forms the top of the scoop, so it is sealed.  Only the carbonfiber part of the door opens which sits below the door bars anyways so its not any harder to get into the car.  

BEFORE

Box4VIR
11/20/22 6:12 p.m.

I'm almost done!  Here's a sneak peak od the finish.  I'm really excited about it's turning out.  I'll spend the winter working out details like the headlights but it should be ready for March.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
11/21/22 8:15 a.m.

Whoa- that's a lot shinier!  Just lots of clear coat, or some other secret?

Box4VIR
11/22/22 8:17 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Clear coat and a phone camera that isn't broken:)  

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/22 10:05 a.m.

Dude this car is insane!

TurboFource
TurboFource Reader
11/22/22 11:46 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

I will second that!!

Box4VIR
12/15/22 10:21 a.m.

Mounting all of these carbon panels is proving to a big pain.  I think I've doubled the weight of the panels in rivets and bolts buts getting there.  I couldn't get the back of the roof to look right so I just cut it off...seems to work.  the vents on the side of the roof are a little silly now and the aerodynamics will definitly be effected.  

To overcome the aero impact I might add a piece of plexiglass that curved upwords on the bottom that covers 70% or so of the opening like the Esprit rear glass.  

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/15/22 10:33 a.m.

Where exactly will this be running.  I must witness it.

Box4VIR
12/15/22 12:01 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

Hell ya!  At a minimum it'll be at all the NASA VIR events.  

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
juO5AnnpJ30zwlPvC1M04YaPeLm5QodPYdVAbifIcEYrsfrJvYLTxB7wKVr4dLtZ