1 2 3 ... 109
mke
mke Dork
1/16/19 11:37 a.m.

I've been working on this build for...awhile.  Its a 1984 Ferrari 308GTS qv and now has a 5.4liter V12.....that almost runs....well runs but only on 11 cylinder at the moment.....but some day....

Some proof of life videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz-Oj4xJi2w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03hto9oANvk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cOeKkw_0JI

Edit - index

custom wheel stuff it starts about p16, more refined thoughts p25p32, ends p38

mke
mke New Reader
1/16/19 11:44 a.m.

The engine simulator (dynomation) thinks about 920hp once all 12 cylinders run....time will tell

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/16/19 11:46 a.m.

more.... we need more

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
1/16/19 12:01 p.m.

Much, much more.

rodknock
rodknock Reader
1/16/19 12:04 p.m.

What car is the v12 out of and what kind of work did you do to make over 900 hp? 

mke
mke New Reader
1/16/19 12:08 p.m.

Ok, it started like this with a sad and dirty 400i junkyard engine

and a set of Testarosa head from the same junk yard thinking it would be wrong to put a 2 valve engine in a car with a 4 valve badge on the back

mke
mke Reader
1/16/19 12:12 p.m.

Who know the head stud locations, water passage location, oil passage locations, cam firing order and timing drive were all wrong???

...thank goodness I have a welder and not much sense :)

and a milling machine

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/16/19 12:12 p.m.

Dude.... I don't know what junkyards you frequent but I never see those items in the ones I go to!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
1/16/19 12:17 p.m.

How is it geared to the transaxle, and what trans???

mke
mke New Reader
1/16/19 12:21 p.m.

No sense in making new cams with the correct firing order that have the sad little factory lobes

I made the billets from 8620, they had to be drilled end to end for oil, a buddy roughed them on a CNC lathe, then Web cam rough ground, heat treated and finish ground to the lobes I selected

The cam noses were designed to hold the 400i timing chain instead of TR belt

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
1/16/19 12:23 p.m.

Ok dude your work is amazing. That color, too! “Not red” is a good start, but that blue is incredible on that car. 

mke
mke New Reader
1/16/19 12:25 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

How is it geared to the transaxle, and what trans???

I had an x1/9 once...can you say engine conversion gone very VERY wrong.......it was a learning experience.....

mke
mke New Reader
1/16/19 12:34 p.m.

It just seemed so very wrong to have way biiger cams and not have the valves and ports to match. 

I went +6mm on the valves and used blanks intended as oversize for a gsxr1300 and used the gsxr 5mm stems, springs and also converted to the shim under bucket.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/19 12:35 p.m.

I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

mke
mke Reader
1/16/19 12:41 p.m.

The intake valves really wanted to hit each other so part of all this was increasing the valve to valve spacing from 36 to 38mm. ....I was making billet cams anyway right?  what I probably should have but didn't expect was the relocated port breaking into the water jacket....yuck.  But I still had that weld and leaned that make some tiny tig torches that will kind of sort of fit into a port so and I still had no frikin sense

mke
mke New Reader
1/16/19 12:46 p.m.

Another thing I didn't really thing through was the intake.  I knew I want ITBs but the TR heads were made for a flat engine with ports the point nearly straight up....when I put them on a V engine they pointed nearly straight at eachother....hmmmmmm...there really wasn't room to do anything decent......

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/16/19 12:48 p.m.

Wow, the neighborhood just got a higher end inmate than usual! This is gonna be great!

About 30 years ago, a guy local to me did a similar conversion to a regular 308 with a Daytona four-cam engine. This was before Daytona engines were worth more than 308's. He documented it on paper and sold the instructions. For some reason I bought a copy and have spent a few hours enjoying a vicarious thrill with it. One of the things he did was show how to widen the stock 308 wheels with a big-ass lathe and a really competent welder. Crazy stuff...

tjbell
tjbell Reader
1/16/19 12:48 p.m.

Oh my...... now this, this is a build thread.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/19 12:50 p.m.

If the ITB intake becomes a cross-ram I'm going to need a moment alone...

mke
mke New Reader
1/16/19 12:51 p.m.

Luckily I still had the mill and welder and STILL had no sense...wait does the sketch show it will break into the cam galley?

Yup it sure will

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/16/19 12:51 p.m.
mke said:

The intake valves really wanted to hit eachother so part of all this was increasing the valve to valve spacing from 36 to 38mm. ....I was making billet cams anyway right?  what I probably should have but didn't expect was the relocated port breaking into the water jacket....yuck.  But I still had that weld and leaned that make some tiny tig torches that will kind of sort of fit into a port so and I still had no frikin sense

We need a "hair standing on end" emoti... Holy Toledo!

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
1/16/19 12:53 p.m.

What kind of insane sorcery is this???

mke
mke Reader
1/16/19 12:53 p.m.

All righty then....best fix that

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
1/16/19 12:56 p.m.

So my current project is trying to cheaply get power out of a sbc, and this dude walks in like charlie sheen

See the source image

Seriously though, mke, keep it up.

mke
mke Reader
1/16/19 1:16 p.m.
rdcyclist said:
mke said:

The intake valves really wanted to hit eachother so part of all this was increasing the valve to valve spacing from 36 to 38mm. ....I was making billet cams anyway right?  what I probably should have but didn't expect was the relocated port breaking into the water jacket....yuck.  But I still had that weld and leaned that make some tiny tig torches that will kind of sort of fit into a port so and I still had no frikin sense

We need a "hair standing on end" emoti... Holy Toledo!

Yeah, that came much later  when I filled the coolant and found it in the TB the next day...which led to yet another tear down and more welding....but I got it this time and pressure tested prior to reassembly. 

1 2 3 ... 109

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WpwR3joADzsDD4bXx5hOz21qV03QHScT4cEJkVLTCHpBdy069bzMvnPf9Xll1TYA