1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 109
mke
mke Reader
1/29/19 8:52 a.m.
StuntmanMike said:

Wow this is an amazing project! Thinking about the to-do list on my project car makes my head hurt but compared to this makes my brain melt. Keep up the great work and it sounds awesome too!

Thank and the task list makes my brain melt too.  I just focus on 1 step at a time and try not to even think about the next step, just finish the one I'm doing and then go have a drink and be happy its done.  Eventually they all get done.  There were hmmmm......several drinks on "It frikin RUNS!" night. :)

mke
mke Reader
1/29/19 8:53 a.m.
smokeysevin said:

I might have missed it, what is the estimated compression ratio you are planning for? Beautiful work so far.

Sean

its 10.7, measured and checked

mke
mke Reader
1/29/19 9:19 a.m.
te72 said:

Also, I see a wedding ring in one of the pictures. Your better half must be a saint. :)

Yeah.....

The f'g Car

The F'g Ferrari

The money disposal

You're such a .....its a long list

There is a bit of give and take though.  To build the garage I had to remove a walkway going to the patio and I agreed to put a powder room in the garage for the pool/patio space but it didn't line up....."you break it you fix it" then applies as does the unspoken rule that allowed a complete redesign of anything that gets touched for pretty much any reason followed by "do you think your bother would help you build a pizza oven?" (brother from Texas Ovens)...and BAM! 6 months of new unplanned, unbudgeted work that somehow all counts against the car time/spending?????  But, but...but.... ...yes dear.   

Oh, and a trip to philly that killed last Saturday to pick up the tiles for said powder room that basically match the patio and I'm hearing talk of tiled walls when I'm supposed to be done and back to fixing the valve seat????.....  yes dear.

ryaneg6freak
ryaneg6freak
1/29/19 9:53 a.m.

And here I am beating myself up over taking a couple years to finish a lowly Nissan.......

mke
mke Reader
1/29/19 1:28 p.m.

There is a thought rolling around my head that involves sawzalling the the spokes out of my wheels and welding in new billet centers to get me wheels that have the correct offsets and more 308 appearance for very little money......probably a bad idea..........probably......

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
1/29/19 2:26 p.m.
mke said:

There is a thought rolling around my head that involves sawzalling the the spokes out of my wheels and welding in new billet centers to get me wheels that have the correct offsets and more 308 appearance for very little money......probably a bad idea..........probably......

dude.  how hard could it be?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/19 3:31 p.m.

This made me laugh... . . 

But, but...but.... ...yes dear.

300zxfreak
300zxfreak New Reader
1/29/19 4:12 p.m.

AAAAARRRGGGGHHHH !!!!!!  I can’t believe I just saw pics of Fram oil filters on a Ferrari. Enzo would croak. Oh wait, he already did.

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
1/29/19 5:15 p.m.

In reply to 300zxfreak :

Baldwin makes nice red ones that actually do their job.

We sent a 250GTL to a show last year and one of the first things we did was "fix" the oil filter problem.

mke
mke Reader
1/29/19 5:55 p.m.
Kendall_Jones said:

That's exactly what I was thinking!  I just reached out to see if I can find a CAD model of a 308 wheel....that would save a lot of design time.  The spokes means they can be packed pretty tight on the billet to reduce material waste which would save a lot of money......hmmmmmmm

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
1/29/19 6:00 p.m.
mke said:
Kendall_Jones said:

That's exactly what I was thinking!  I just reached out to see if I can find a CAD model of a 308 wheel....that would save a lot of design time.  The spokes means they can be packed pretty tight on the billet to reduce material waste which would save a lot of money......hmmmmmmm

we're just here to help. :)

slefain
slefain PowerDork
1/30/19 8:17 a.m.
mke
mke Reader
1/30/19 8:30 a.m.
slefain said:

You made it on BangShift, bravo: https://bangshift.com/bangshiftapex/most-incredible-garage-engine-build-we-have-ever-seen/

What the heck is bangshift I'm now wondering????  I'll need to have a look at the site

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/19 8:32 a.m.
300zxfreak said:

AAAAARRRGGGGHHHH !!!!!!  I can’t believe I just saw pics of Fram oil filters on a Ferrari. Enzo would croak. Oh wait, he already did.

Insider info:  they’re all the same.  

NermalSnert
NermalSnert Reader
1/30/19 8:40 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IymeBUq4sI (oil filters)

slefain
slefain PowerDork
1/30/19 9:48 a.m.
mke said:
slefain said:

You made it on BangShift, bravo: https://bangshift.com/bangshiftapex/most-incredible-garage-engine-build-we-have-ever-seen/

What the heck is bangshift I'm now wondering????  I'll need to have a look at the site

Cool website run by some distance acquaintances of mine with a fellow GRMer as well. It was originally David Freiburger's site, but when Source Interlink cut him a deal he couldn't refuse (or blackmail) he changed the name to BangShift and handed it over to Brian and Chad. It is a legit site with great content, one of the few I read daily.

Richard73
Richard73
1/30/19 10:36 a.m.
cryingmke said:

No sense in making new cams with the correct firing order that have the sad little factory lobes

I made the billets from 8620, they had to be drilled end to end for oil, a buddy roughed them on a CNC lathe, then Web cam rough ground, heat treated and finish ground to the lobes I selected

The cam noses were designed to hold the 400i timing chain instead of TR belt

Guy makes his own cams...I’m stoked when I make a double flare that doesn’t leak...

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/19 10:41 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:
300zxfreak said:

Insider info:  they’re all the same.  

Not historically, Frams were always known to be poorly made and caused low oil volume on many different motors.  I know on the Chrysler 2.2/2.5L motors, people would complain about valve train noise due to collapsing hydraulic lifters.  Put another brand of oil filter on and the valve train noise goes away.  Every. Time.

Here's an actual study (its old, but I suspect much of the info is correct): http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

Richard73
Richard73 New Reader
1/30/19 10:44 a.m.
mke said:

No sense in making new cams with the correct firing order that have the sad little factory lobes

I made the billets from 8620, they had to be drilled end to end for oil, a buddy roughed them on a CNC lathe, then Web cam rough ground, heat treated and finish ground to the lobes I selected

The cam noses were designed to hold the 400i timing chain instead of TR belt

cryingGuy makes his own freaking cams....I’m stoked when I make a double flare that doesn’t leak...

sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
1/30/19 10:50 a.m.

Will your brother help me build a pizza oven??

mke
mke Reader
1/30/19 11:36 a.m.
sobe_death said:

Will your brother help me build a pizza oven??

Probably...its what he does

http://texasovenco.com/

I did the base and finish work and he did the brick work for me.

mke
mke Reader
1/30/19 12:08 p.m.

Concerns about Fram filters noted and thank you for the information...but can we leave it here?

Here is what 308 wheels look like (internet pics)

Here are a couple pics of the ferrari F550 wheels I have (also internet pics)

Here is something I stumbled on...its a land rover I thing.  The shape of the rim itself looks a whole lot like the 550 rim, but the spokes are quite similar to 308 and lind of what I'd endup with if I make new hubs for the 550 wheel, but mine would be set back into the rim an inch of 2. 

Not bad and not real hard to do.....I'll need to CAD something. 

Don't know if you've found this place but its a decent free online CAD...everything is public but its free and works pretty well so....

https://cad.onshape.com/signin

mke
mke Reader
1/30/19 12:16 p.m.
Richard73 said:

cryingGuy makes his own freaking cams....I’m stoked when I make a double flare that doesn’t leak...

Wait, you made a bubble flare that didn't leak?  I very honestly don't think I ever have so that is no small accomplishment in my book!  

ValourUnbound
ValourUnbound New Reader
1/30/19 12:18 p.m.
mke said:

Don't know if you've found this place but its a decent free online CAD...everything is public but its free and works pretty well so....

https://cad.onshape.com/signin

Hmm. I have a school email... let's see how far I can go. I initially used SolidWorks in my undergrad, but that's since expired. I tried using Sketchup but found it... difficult. Primarily because I couldn't find how to spec a line length after creating the line. That kind of kills iterative design if I have to start from scratch every time I decide a shelf needs to be in a different place.

I'll give this a try :)

Edit: It works just how I expected it to work. Found my new cad tool! Now to find a mill and lathe...

mke
mke Reader
1/30/19 1:36 p.m.

Here's a quick guesstimate of the 550 rear rim don e in onshape.  I'll do a center section and assembly next

1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 109

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ep3rQFCTeDBSKmEpm0UTbtnyXTUmJgqgSNpXZNcnObYW3cf1CtEejyHxInHhE9BM