1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 109
Martini
Martini New Reader
3/17/19 9:23 a.m.
mke said:
Martini said:

Or drop a mail to Christian von Koenigsegg, just in case?

Personally I wouldn't trust the thoughts of a sportscar builder who doesn't race sportscars.  The race teams all seem to understand this is a terrible idea :)

That's a valid point but I don't think his cars could enter in any category (and it would probably have a very marginal impact on sales).

You don't see LaFerrari, the P1 or the 918 in competition anywhere.

Dyno idea laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQWZDcswcMI

But wouldn't a nice piece of road and a datalogger be sufficient?

mke
mke Reader
3/17/19 7:51 p.m.

In reply to RossD :

I hadn't seen that thread, thanks for sharing it.

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
3/18/19 8:03 a.m.

I think the lack of composite wheels in racing is probably more to do with rules than it being a good or bad idea. Love the build.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/24/19 7:34 p.m.

Saw these, thought of this thread

https://forgeline.com/wheel/nt3c-concave/

mke
mke Reader
3/24/19 8:09 p.m.

In reply to gumby :

They are nice....about double what I thought I wanted to spend but nice.  Funny because one of the ideas I was getting ready to draw up was spokes with webbing the the drops similar to these, but smooth like the 308....I need to get bck to that.

mke
mke Reader
3/28/19 7:06 a.m.

I'm still playing with the forged monoblock design and its getting close....currently 26.5lb, the 18x10.5 550 wheel is 25lb on my bathroom scale to compare, the 17x9 BMW wheel 27. I'm close.  The top pic is the available forging with the wheel profile laid inside.....there are a few things I'd like to do different but I have to color inside the lines :)

Syscrush
Syscrush New Reader
3/28/19 9:49 a.m.

How does this work? They forge a blank and then CNC machine it to your final design?

Looks beauty. Let it be 27lbs and fill the tires with Helium. :)

mke
mke Reader
3/28/19 10:42 a.m.

In reply to Syscrush :

Pretty much.  They have standard forgings they work with so I need to stay in the lines with the design, then they can CNC it.  The Ferrari wheels have a raise cap area, but that for example is not possible without making it a separate part if i decide to try and keep it.

Martini
Martini New Reader
3/30/19 4:23 a.m.
mke said:

In reply to Syscrush :

The Ferrari wheels have a raise cap area, but that for example is not possible without making it a separate part if i decide to try and keep it.

Bit of welding and grinding and bob's your uncle!

mke
mke Reader
3/30/19 2:32 p.m.

In reply to Martini :

LOL

I'd hate to weld on brand new wheels :)

I think a press fit....I need to measure the front to see how much the bearing cap sticks out, just moving out to clear the f430 brakes might do it and flush is fine.  For sure it's fine on the rear but I'd like them to mostly match....so the front will drive the design.  I think these will be just what the car needs and I gave the wheel guy a link to this thread and he's thinking this project NEEDS to be on his wheels and is ready to go and just waiting for final drawings to start but I've been absoluletly slammed time wise all of a sudden...another week or 2 I guess but I'm pretty excited to get this rolling so it killing me not having time.

Martini
Martini New Reader
3/31/19 11:23 a.m.

A 512/355 design like this one would work on a blue 308: https://www.bidgodrive.com/vehicle-details/10370

mke
mke Reader
3/31/19 5:52 p.m.

In reply to Martini :

There are lots of very nice wheel options out in the world and  I  kind of feel silly obsessing over a specific look.....but I want it to look 308 originalish hence the custom wheels eating my time and budget.

mke
mke Reader
4/5/19 4:32 p.m.

Still arranging in the shop....his took a ridiculous amount of time but I like it now plus I emptied 3 draws in my tool box!

mke
mke Reader
4/5/19 4:38 p.m.

Upstairs is ready to be stuffed

And I deliver on a promise to Lana for a place for shovels

Randy_Forbes
Randy_Forbes New Reader
4/5/19 6:10 p.m.

Mke, so glad to see you're still at it!

I followed along with the build on F-chat (when your Master Machinist was a NewBorn) but lost track of you.  Rediscovered again on (I think?) Ferrari Life, but lost again.

It really makes me happy to see you've stuck with it all this time and gotten meaningful results!  I'll have to make it a point to go through the whole thread (only pages 1-5 so far) but as an aspiring home taught machinist/weldor, I've always been blown away by the fact you accept no limits to what you can do!

Quick story: a friend wanted an XMSN drain plug drilled/tapped for a temperature probe and when he asked a machinist, he said it couldn't be done; "no way to hold it."  Not knowing any better, I tapped a chunk of Delrin, srewed the plug into it and drilled/tapped it for his sensor.  I'm not a real machinist, so I didn't know I wasn't supposed to be able to do it.  You take that concept to an unbelieveable elevation (PLEASE don't think I'm saying you're not a real machinist, but not many would take on a decade-long project like this).

I'm looking forward to reading about the rest of the story.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/5/19 6:28 p.m.

Nice organization.

I'm enjoying this thread on many fronts!

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
4/5/19 6:47 p.m.

I have that same sand blaster.

#1 best improvement was a pair of 100W LED bulbs:

http://www.gwellwood.com/tools/sand-blast-cabinet-upgrades/

#2 improvement was the hookah pot.

mke
mke Reader
4/5/19 9:06 p.m.

In reply to SkinnyG :

Mine came with an led light...but could be brighter.  I got it to bead blast some of the plugs sets I fouled . ...i figured clean the plugs 3-4 times and its paid for, so its paid for.

So far I haven't run it enough to worry about the vac but if/when my suspension rebuild happens and I'm blasting real parts I'll have to get after those upgrades!

Speeddog
Speeddog New Reader
4/6/19 12:32 a.m.

I got an el cheapo vacuum at the local big box HOME store, fits on top of a 5-gallon bucket.

Seems to work fine on my el cheapo HF bead blaster. frown

That hookah setup works good?

Does it have an array of small holes on the 'in' tube under the waterline?

mke
mke Reader
4/6/19 6:42 a.m.

I remember my grandmother having a vacuum cleaner that was like the hookah setup....the only one like that I've ever seen, 40s or 50s by the styling.

mke
mke Reader
4/6/19 6:54 a.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

Nice organization.

I'm enjoying this thread on many fronts!

If you had any idea how un like me an organized shop the work  it took me would be more obvious...I about 1/2 filled a trash bag with stuff like a side handle from a grind I haven't owned in 30 years....I hate to throw out tools and it did fit the newer grinders but I finally had to realize 1 grinder handle is plenty and I found taking space in my tool box.  I had 3 4.5" rubber sanding backing pads and 0 nuts to go with then so for 10 or 15 years I've been stacking an old grinder disc+2-3 old sanding discs under the new sanding disc to make it work.....so yesterday I picked up a washer and nut while I was grabbing pegboard hooks and made a nut for 1 of the backing pads and ditched the other 2.  Anyway, it took for ever.

Edit...wait, it's got to 20 years since I've had a nut for the sanding pad, but now I do, and a place to put it away.

Martini
Martini New Reader
4/6/19 8:57 a.m.
mke said:
Martini said:

Or drop a mail to Christian von Koenigsegg, just in case?

Personally I wouldn't trust the thoughts of a sportscar builder who doesn't race sportscars. 

I just discovered they very nearly did: https://www.koenigsegg.com/car/ccgt/

In fact, that was the ambition all along. 1000 kg, 600 hp with the restricter, 600 kg of downforce for Le Mans

mke
mke Reader
4/9/19 9:37 p.m.

In reply to Martini :

Nearly racing and racing are not exactly the same ;)

Not as exciting as racing but I installed a plug for my MIG and made a 10g extension to reach anywhere in the shop.  I made it 30A thinking  I'd like a plasma cutter some day.  The welder came with a 50A plug...but it says its 20A and I had it sharing the 20A compressor plug for years so th IG s should be fine.

mke
mke Reader
4/23/19 7:57 p.m.

I've been trying to fix the warning lights on the BMW....no luck yet.  Crazy busy starting a new job and they moving and had an auction where I scored a like new tool box for $76

but I think I'm happier with this.....a hyvac 45 vacuum pump for $1.  The best I can tell its the 2 stage model that pulls down to 0.1 Torr and moves 500l/min.....just in case I do decide to make wheels, not that I will...but just in case :)

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/23/19 8:06 p.m.

I know this sentiment has been shared before, but it bears repeating: 

Waterloo toolboxes, and Craftsman stools in a build of this scope are WickedAwesome. 

Carry on.

1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 109

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Po4SOAhxMpt1IVjqf8s3xesIeVD5ASyF8TnGyT9Dd6e74XaAaypmgYNlsZeVtxSF