1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 109
Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/4/19 1:15 p.m.

In reply to mke :

You missed the part where the MAP is only reading off of one cylinder.  No vacuum manifold to bleed down to the other cylinders.  That is specifically why the devs put that code option in there (well, for single cylinder engines and V twins)

I've worked with enough MAF cars to not believe the hype that they are "restrictive".  And I've never had noise problems with hot cammed engines, either.

mke
mke HalfDork
8/4/19 3:31 p.m.
Knurled. said:

In reply to mke :

You missed the part where the MAP is only reading off of one cylinder.  No vacuum manifold to bleed down to the other cylinders.  That is specifically why the devs put that code option in there (well, for single cylinder engines and V twins)

I'm sure it would work well on a 1 cyl application it that is what you have.  The alternative is an engine cycle time base integration of the sensor data, that also works very well and yields better resolution and faster response time but requires more processor hp.

I've worked with enough MAF cars to not believe the hype that they are "restrictive".  And I've never had noise problems with hot cammed engines, either.

The restriction shows up on the flow bench and it shows up on the dyno.  There's a  few % reason you don't see them on sport bikes or formula cars. 

With cams, I've watched guys tearing there hair out trying to get a usable MAF signal, but exhaust and intake design are in the equation too so who knows on any specific setup.  I'm not saying they can't work, just that its not a silver bullet.....if you can't get a good MAP signal the odds are pretty high that you will also struggle and perhaps struggle more with an MAF signal.

mke
mke HalfDork
8/5/19 8:46 a.m.

first pics of the painted wheels, trying to get an estimated ship date.  Near perfect timing in that I think I just sold 1 set of the 550 wheels and have serious interest in the 2nd set.  

MechWrench
MechWrench New Reader
8/5/19 9:05 a.m.

The wheels look beautiful!

mke
mke HalfDork
8/5/19 9:26 a.m.
MechWrench said:

The wheels look beautiful!

Thanks!  I'm pretty happy with how this is turning out and really excited to see them on the car.

mke
mke HalfDork
8/6/19 6:31 a.m.

now 4 ready to ship.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
8/6/19 8:32 a.m.

In reply to mke :

Spectacular! Both the wheels themselves and the service.

Samebutdifferent
Samebutdifferent New Reader
8/6/19 9:01 a.m.

That is simple amazing and look great.  You have to be pleased with the results so far.  I'm sure you can hardly wait to get tires mounted and on the car...  Of course there is that small issue of the motor, but that's "simple enough to fix".  cheeky  

mke
mke HalfDork
8/6/19 9:56 a.m.
Samebutdifferent said:

That is simple amazing and look great.  You have to be pleased with the results so far.  I'm sure you can hardly wait to get tires mounted and on the car...  Of course there is that small issue of the motor, but that's "simple enough to fix".  cheeky  

Yes, there is the issue of the engine......which makes me think when the wheels arrive I'll just mount the 15ish year old sumitomo's I just pulled of the old wheels and not even both balancing them rather that invest in proper tires not knowing when the car will actually drive.... but it will look nice and what's that they say, its not whether you win or lose, its how you look doing it!  I'll go with that for now :)

I think both sets of 550 wheels are sold so engine parts should be heading my way soon.

Samebutdifferent
8/6/19 10:19 a.m.

To quote Fernando Lamas (or Billy Crystal imitating Fernando);

"It is better to look good than to feel good"

As for the wheels?  "They look marvelous.  Absolutely marvelous!"

Syscrush
Syscrush New Reader
8/7/19 9:01 a.m.

Those look positively magnificent. You did a great job on the design, and at least in potato-quality photos the execution looks very good.

Here's hoping that they're round.

Seems like amazing value for the money for use cases that don't require DOT approval.

corradocorrer
corradocorrer New Reader
8/7/19 12:23 p.m.
Syscrush said:

Here's hoping that they're round.

This is valid point, and maybe one worth verifying sooner than later. You said you wont bother balancing the old tires, but maybe it could be worth a certain piece of mind. 

Sparkydog
Sparkydog Reader
8/7/19 12:55 p.m.

I agree with others that for now, the wheels look awesome and I am hoping that they end up being accurate and correct to what you wanted!

I apologize if you covered this earlier when you were first corresponding with the wheel vendor - but are they giving you any kind of assurance on either the metal chemistry and/or the metallurgy?

Syscrush
Syscrush New Reader
8/7/19 1:23 p.m.
corradocorrer said:

This is valid point, and maybe one worth verifying sooner than later. You said you wont bother balancing the old tires, but maybe it could be worth a certain piece of mind. 

Even just mounting them and putting a runout gauge on 'em would go a very long way towards piece of mind. If they're true, they should balance just fine.

mke
mke HalfDork
8/7/19 1:48 p.m.
Syscrush said:

Even just mounting them and putting a runout gauge on 'em would go a very long way towards piece of mind. If they're true, they should balance just fine.

That is the plan.  They were supposed to be working on getting them shipped today, hopefully it happened

mke
mke HalfDork
8/7/19 1:50 p.m.
Sparkydog said:

I apologize if you covered this earlier when you were first corresponding with the wheel vendor - but are they giving you any kind of assurance on either the metal chemistry and/or the metallurgy?

The forging is claimed to be 6061-T6....beyond should be there is no way to know for certain without destructive testing.

mke
mke HalfDork
8/8/19 2:20 p.m.

I'd nearly completely forgotten just how much I despise the ebay/paypal team and hadn't used either in quite some time.....now I remember and I suspect the customer service person I was chatting with has a new found despise of me....they generally don't just disconnect you so I must have pushed the right button. 

Will that fix my issue?  No guarantee because its just a review and we'll spend 24hr trying it?  Can we review it now while I'm right here to answer any question or provide any info you need?  No?  Why exactly?  Oh because it is called a 24 hr review and I should feel lucky its not a 72hr review (they literally told me that...twice!).  But we agree its my money right? and we agree you have my money right?  and we agree I want my my right?  ........Round and round it goes in circles.....I'd like to ship the old wheels but wheels go nowhere while money goes nowhere I guess.

edit:  forgot the best one "why would we change it just becasuer you don't like it?  Lots of people don't like it".

Syscrush
Syscrush New Reader
8/9/19 1:36 p.m.
mke said:

edit:  forgot the best one "why would we change it just becasuer you don't like it?  Lots of people don't like it".

As someone who designs and writes software for banks, I feel like that motto should be carved in stone over the threshold of the building. :D

mke
mke HalfDork
8/9/19 5:34 p.m.

LOL....I assumed it was ;)

I got my money today, just after the fedex guy left but I ran over to a drop point and all the wheels are gone!

....now with any luck useable Chinese wheels will arrive.

Head gaskets arrived.

mke
mke HalfDork
8/10/19 6:50 a.m.

I just got a shipping update on the wheels.  Its 3 days factory to port, into a container for the next ship, then 25-30 days but I'm not sure if that includes US port to me.  5-6 weeks I guess total.  The wheel will be leaving port on Wed 8/14 so mid Sept. to me.

Syscrush
Syscrush New Reader
8/12/19 8:51 a.m.

Mid Sep? What are we supposed to do until then? Work on our own projects or something???

You've already given us interesting stories on your pool, pizza oven, and driveway... Am I really sitting here thinking "I hope that Frankenferrari guy's house needs a new roof or something." laugh

mke
mke HalfDork
8/12/19 9:27 a.m.

In reply to Syscrush :

LOL...I should be up to my eyeballs in engine repair by mid Sept.  I was trying to clear bench space yesterday then that led to finish painting the inside of the compressor room door so I could pick up all the paint stuff...anyway, a little more clean up and its time to finish tearing the engine apart.

Now that the old wheels are sold, as promised, the funding should be released to place the engine part orders but when I tried to proceed this morning I was told there is "just in case they aren't happy when they get them" a delay so a few more days.

Edit - it just occurred to me that this might also be linked to a request I received and rejected to reframe the coat closet in the mudroom.  Lana had me remove the doors a few weeks ago and now wants the doorway removed......perhaps that is the only path to engine part approval.......

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/19 9:44 a.m.
mke said:

Edit - it just occurred to me that this might also be linked to a request I received and rejected to reframe the coat closet in the mudroom.  Lana had me remove the doors a few weeks ago and now wants the doorway removed......perhaps that is the only path to engine part approval.......

I have found similar funding path restrictions, seems like a lot of times the path leads down a one-way street called "what the wife wants".   make it so!

Samebutdifferent
8/12/19 11:49 a.m.

I have found similar funding path restrictions, seems like a lot of times the path leads down a one-way street called "what the wife wants".   make it so!

^^^  Yes dear...

mke
mke HalfDork
8/12/19 3:25 p.m.

The closet re-frame will begin tonight. angel

1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 109

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9ts7x31a5MHmKT7VCYvwj72EPi7Vu1nvWfpqHvFYEjVaBMy0fJvP4U0Cer7HNxjU