1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 ... 109
Syscrush
Syscrush New Reader
8/14/19 8:48 a.m.
mke said:

The closet re-frame will begin tonight. angel

Have you heard of "Want, settle, get?"

We want Ferrari updates, will settle for dyno updates, get closet updates. laugh

Good luck, and have fun!

mke
mke HalfDork
8/14/19 12:52 p.m.

In reply to Syscrush :

LOL.  

The closet is a small job as jobs go lately...I learned about shelves and cabinets last night but still small......and I got permission to order a piston and rings so it's worth the time as it leads directly to what I want :) 

The quote says ship in  12 business days so this is clearly the right time to buy race parts.

mke
mke HalfDork
8/16/19 6:43 a.m.

Wheel update...it looks like they are on the ship that left 8/14 and they generated UPS shipments...I don't think they will be in the US until the week of 9/8 but it looks like the UPS labels are ready and waiting.  

Then there is the closest....thought I wold start Monday, actually started last night, hopefully it will be done this weekend....just removing a little piece of wall then patching everything up....oh and "can you look at the mower, I hits some rocks now the thing is wobbling and it won't mow"...yes dear.  She bent the shaft on one of the blades which looks to have destroyed the bearings since there don't appear to be any balls or rollers  bearing left in the bearing...one more thing.

Here's the closet so there is something to look at.  My 12 year old helped and decided it was more fun to smash the drywall to tiny bits than rip it off in chunk...what a mess.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
8/16/19 7:57 a.m.

At least your wife mows the lawn, mine never has...

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 HalfDork
8/16/19 8:39 a.m.
docwyte said:

And you have never had to fix the mower because of that.  Win some, lose some...

mke
mke HalfDork
8/16/19 9:53 a.m.
camaroz1985 said:
docwyte said:

And you have never had to fix the mower because of that.  Win some, lose some...

yeah, help with the yard is very helpful and since she started mowing her opinion on the importance of weed control has completely changed....it was viewed as a waste of money when I was suppose to keep the yard neat, now its critical :)

So that's a the good.  The not so good is deciding to mowing the garden that got over grown and forgetting about the rocks she got to hold tarps down in the spring not so helpful.  A couple hours and a  hundred $$ and it will be all better and since money not just my time is involve in the fix I doubt this mistake will happen again.

mke
mke HalfDork
8/25/19 1:08 p.m.

I need to get the seats and valve blanks on order and get rolling on the heads I guess.

The standard type gaskets I need (cam covers, timing cover, exhaust, etc) are on their way from GT parts...$250

They also had and shipped the 400i Auto trans adapter that bolts a GM auto trans to the ferrari 400i block which I think will let me use a GM bellhousing with the dyno rather than having to make something....$100.....kinda wish I hadn't throw out the one I had a few years back while cleaning up....  Doh!

Not sure what I'm going to do for the splined shaft the bolts to the dyno and slips into the clutch...I need to reach out to the go-power people and see what they have but I'm guessing I'll need to make that part.  I made the shaft the connects the drop gears to the clutch so I know how to do it...but it takes some time without all the special cutters and machines that are made for jobs like that....but its possible with just a lathe and mill so.....

mke
mke HalfDork
8/26/19 6:10 a.m.

So I'm trying to actually finish my toolbox swap....I still had stuff on the floor which I whet through and and got off the floor and last is the work table is covered with sockets.  I have about 6 or 7 each of the unpopular sized and sometimes none of the common sizes so basically thr opposite of what you'd want but I guess the expected outcome....still not sure how I got to 6-7 of what must have started as sets.  I have the same thing going on with wrenches but I just put them in order in the draw and figured good enough as I didn't want to think about throwing out wrenched but the sockets really aren't useful rolling around the draw like that....I'm going to make 2 sets of each (1/4, 3/8, 1/2, long short, etc) I guess and will need to go buy a few of the missing then.....I probably can't bring myself to ditch the leftovers....I guess a box on the shelf I'll probably never look in.

mke
mke HalfDork
8/26/19 12:03 p.m.

Valves and seats order. .....$396.41. Ouch.  200 is 24 exhaust seats because I know one is wrong but don't know which one it is so the plan is change them all before it falls out and repeats all this damage.

Syscrush
Syscrush New Reader
8/26/19 3:38 p.m.
mke said:

I guess a box on the shelf I'll probably never look in.

We all know that box.

mke
mke HalfDork
8/26/19 8:18 p.m.
Syscrush said:
mke said:

I guess a box on the shelf I'll probably never look in.

We all know that box.

You convinced me....I put them in the trash along with a set of wrenches I've probably owned for 30 years and never used

and now the engine is on the bench!

mke
mke HalfDork
8/26/19 8:36 p.m.

I also think I understand what went wrong.  I knew a couple of the guides felt tighter than they should but I didn't understand why.  Today I went shopping for a new sharp reamer...then got wondering what people like for the job....carbide?, cobalt? Straight? twist?......so I googled and discovered that the material I chose for the guides, C630, while great guide material basically can't be reamed to size because it tears up the reamer (which happened) and comes out undersize, you need to hone it to size using lots of oil.  So guide hones are on the way....I also need to get an appropriate hole gauge. ....and then no more sticking g valves.

mke
mke HalfDork
8/27/19 11:59 a.m.

I ordered a small hole gauge set and a 5mm minus pin to be a go gauge and I can borrow a 0.197 minus pin to be the no-go gauge...between the 2 I think I'll be certain the guide clearance is right.  This stuff should be here by the time I get the heads torn down so I can inspect and confirm the issue was what I suspect it was.

Followed up with the cylinder people today....and learned they've been back in stock for a couple weeks.  It seems the sales guy did call me but I tend to ignore numbers I don't recognize and he didn't leave a message....but now the cylinder is order and will arrive in about a week.  The heads won't be done in a week I'm pretty sure of that so now I'll have a pile of work to knock out.

mke
mke HalfDork
8/28/19 8:11 a.m.

Head 2 is off and nothing awful inside.  #5 is a bit black and gooy....but so are 8, 9, 10, 11 so maybe the "problem" with 7, 12 looking so clean is that they were running right :)

The chamber in the head oddly doesn't match the pistons, all the cylinders are a bit black and gooy looking at the head

Then there are the cylinders themselves...they should not have these vertical lines.  Best guess is they are too tight but I know that unlike the guide clearance I measured the piston fit.....time to measure it again I guess.  I bought new ring so at a minimum I'll re-hone.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/19 8:27 a.m.

i have to talk about two cars simultaneously to say "cylinder eleven"

Syscrush
Syscrush New Reader
8/28/19 1:32 p.m.

Wow, that's even better than the closet update. :)

It's great to have a lead like that. Here's hoping that you feel better about this when it's going back together.

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
8/28/19 1:42 p.m.
mke said:

I also think I understand what went wrong.  I knew a couple of the guides felt tighter than they should but I didn't understand why.  Today I went shopping for a new sharp reamer...then got wondering what people like for the job....carbide?, cobalt? Straight? twist?......so I googled and discovered that the material I chose for the guides, C630, while great guide material basically can't be reamed to size because it tears up the reamer (which happened) and comes out undersize, you need to hone it to size using lots of oil.  So guide hones are on the way....I also need to get an appropriate hole gauge. ....and then no more sticking g valves.

Sucks that things went bad, but finding out *why* and how to prevent that from happening again is so rewarding. 

mke
mke HalfDork
8/28/19 1:49 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

At least its ONLY 2!  The poor miata owners need 3, unless one is an LS miata then just 2  :)

Maybe weld a couple of the corvair engines together anf join the club?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/19 3:07 p.m.

In reply to mke :

i don't have any corvair engines!

mke
mke HalfDork
8/28/19 3:13 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

In reply to mke :

i don't have any corvair engines!

What?  AngryCorvair?  but no corvair engines?  I'm soooooo confused..... but I know welding together whatever it is you do have is the answer :)

mke
mke HalfDork
8/30/19 10:27 a.m.

Its pretty torn down now.  Luckily the trash bag I dropped all the extra sockets into was still in the shop as mid tear-down I realized I never made a set of standard length 1/4" drive metric sockets...oops.

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
8/30/19 11:20 a.m.

Still love that engine stand. 

mke
mke HalfDork
8/30/19 12:19 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

It was easy to make and wide enough the work with the trans on.  The only issue is the diff has to be off....I need to take the time to put a jump in the grey side arm for the diff.

I cleaned it up a little, time to pop the pistons and crank out.  

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
8/30/19 1:08 p.m.

Oh good, it's shop rags.

That pile on the floor looked like a puddle of melted aluminum for a second. laugh

Azryael
Azryael New Reader
8/30/19 1:16 p.m.

I still daydream about putting a V12 in my Mercedes, but I guess watching others work with 12 cylinders will have to do for now.

1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 ... 109

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R1vPpcSrtEwvczEVvwy8hxAU8nSLSvx0ja1EX37xRaJMHNIPc0XPTyk6leIiU3qK