1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 ... 109
mke
mke HalfDork
11/15/19 3:13 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I wasn't even looking...that went fast.

I'm off on a tangent.  I promised that this fall I'd replace the last bit of carpet in the house with wood....the day came and of course it wasn't what I thought I'd agreed too. 

Since were doing the floor wouldn't it look better if we move the door and open the wall?

ok, wall down, its floor time!  Nope....it just doesn't look good with that column....2hich means a massive beam, some structure in the first floor walls and a temp column in the basement until I can add a beam there

Now just fix the railings

and I'm back to time to install the floor.  Then back to the engine....I think.

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
11/15/19 10:57 p.m.

Very clean work on the upstairs wall move. I like! 

And continued props to you for "doing it the right way". 

jdogg
jdogg New Reader
11/16/19 3:30 p.m.

god this thing is absolutely bonkers

Syscrush
Syscrush New Reader
11/21/19 9:16 a.m.

The renos look great.

How do you feel about having so many eyes on a project as ambitious as your FrankenFerrari? It it helpful as motivation? Is it a source of stress? Or is it just something that's happening that doesn't much matter?

mke
mke HalfDork
11/21/19 11:55 a.m.

In reply to Syscrush :

In general it doesn't much matter.  I like that there are other eyes on it because I'm pretty good at jumping without thinking so others saying a version of "are you sure????" is helpful.

It's just finding time anymore....a short parts delay and I'm sucked into another project and once Lana has me she is slow to release me.  A simple floor that shouldn't be much more than a weekend becomes a month long restructuring before the work I agreed to can even start...oh and plants are 75% off and look what I got!  Go plant them... ...some thing like 40 rose bushes and 30 boxwoods from every lowes in a 30 or 40 mile radius.....and they are going where other plants already are and have been for years so an axe is the only way to get them out!......a simple floor while I'm waiting for parts.....

I'm actually working on the floor now and will have it done in a few days and most of the plants are in.....just a few more days and I'll be back to fixing heads.

Got the railings and trim in....which included cutting a hole in the dining room ceiling to add structure for the railing post.

Then things like helping with this trebuchet school project.....it took nearly a week but older son was thrilled and I hope learned a lot.  I know he learned it shoots hard enough to shatter gumballs against a wall 30ft away :)

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/19 3:19 p.m.

In reply to mke :

Is that a nerf Barrett on the wall???

I can't decide if I was born too late or too early.

mke
mke HalfDork
11/21/19 3:42 p.m.
Knurled. said:

In reply to mke :

Is that a nerf Barrett on the wall???

I can't decide if I was born too late or too early.

Yeah, the arsenal.  He doesn't really play nerd any more but for a while it was all nerf all the time.  When we bought the pegboard I bought a bunch of hooks, about 10 minutes after I said ok the hang he came down asking for hooks...back to the store.....maybe 15 minutes this time he back for hook.  Really? Back to the store for all the hooks they had and that mostly did it.  I have ne idea where all those guns were hiding before the wall but I'm pretty sure there are still more under the bed and such.

Azryael
Azryael Reader
11/21/19 3:45 p.m.

I need to build one of those trebuchets to lay siege to the deer herds that plague my property, since I'm not allowed to do anything else about them. Would at least make it entertaining.

mke
mke HalfDork
11/21/19 4:13 p.m.
Azryael said:

I need to build one of those trebuchets to lay siege to the deer herds that plague my property, since I'm not allowed to do anything else about them. Would at least make it entertaining.

For deer I'd go with something a little bigger.....this would take out a deer

Azryael
Azryael Reader
11/21/19 4:24 p.m.

Perfect. The neighbors will be none the wiser. All I need now is some chain mail, a plate helmet, and epic battle standard.

Really though, that is some neat stuff; it's one of the things I look forward to doing when I eventually have kids of my own.

mke
mke HalfDork
11/21/19 5:10 p.m.
Azryael said:

Perfect. The neighbors will be none the wiser. All I need now is some chain mail, a plate helmet, and epic battle standard.

Really though, that is some neat stuff; it's one of the things I look forward to doing when I eventually have kids of my own.

LOL.  we were building it for a pumpkin throw at karate...but we quit before and haven't quite finished it.  I'm trying to talk Lana into letting us finish it and taking to the renaissance fair,  which would mean costumes.  

It's designed to use regular weight plates and I think with the 500lbs I have it would throw a 5lb pumpkin (or rock or cannon ball) about 300 yards.  It all comes apart and folds up to easily go on the roof racks on lana's car.  The school project is basically a scale model of this and used big washers in place of the weight plates

Subscriber-unavailabile
Subscriber-unavailabile Reader
11/21/19 5:47 p.m.

In reply to mke :

The inner 12 year old me seeing the nerf guns

and now my wife is wondering why her grown a$$ husband/father is showing her nerf guns and going ooooohh looook babe

anyways almost work all around!!!

mke
mke HalfDork
11/21/19 5:49 p.m.

Shoot! 

UPS just brought me a new project.  It looks like I'm building a door for the pizza over that is supposed to match the grill and will let me bake/roast in the oven.   I suspect this is required to be completed for Thanksgiving as in Lana's expecting me to cook this year

Azryael
Azryael Reader
11/21/19 5:56 p.m.
mke said:

LOL.  we were building it for a pumpkin throw at karate...but we quit before and haven't quite finished it.  I'm trying to talk Lana into letting us finish it and taking to the renaissance fair,  which would mean costumes.  

It's designed to use regular weight plates and I think with the 500lbs I have it would throw a 5lb pumpkin (or rock or cannon ball) about 300 yards.  It all comes apart and folds up to easily go on the roof racks on lana's car.  The school project is basically a scale model of this and used big washers in place of the weight plates

300 yards? That is impressive! There's a Renaissance Fair that happens every year up in McDade just outside of Austin in a little medival themed village. Realy neat; we've gone twice as just regular people, but the effort people put into their costumes is fantastic.

Syscrush
Syscrush New Reader
11/28/19 12:46 p.m.

I decided to review the start of this thread, because I was sure that there was some radical stuff that I'd react to differently re-reading it with more context, and I found this gem:

mke said:

Wife - Oh, that project needs to last the rest of your life, I think you should work on the bathroom and save the car.

You know, I think that there's an awful lot of wisdom in that. I'm on team Lana for that one. :)

mke
mke HalfDork
11/28/19 1:41 p.m.

Gotta love wives :)

Made the oven door this morning and the turkey just went in.  It's pretty windy so I decided to leave coal down the sides and gap the door about 2" to let the coals burn and block the wind....fingers crossed. 

2_3
2_3 New Reader
11/28/19 8:31 p.m.

How do I build a trebuchet? I'm an adult, therefore I'm probably responsible enough to build and operate a siege weapon, right?

mke
mke HalfDork
11/28/19 9:25 p.m.
mke said:

Made the oven door this morning and the turkey just went in.  It's pretty windy so I decided to leave coal down the sides and gap the door about 2" to let the coals burn and block the wind....fingers crossed. 

It came out AMAZING.  Best Turkey EVER!!

I warped the snot out of the oven door welding it......I'll need to fit that but was really rushing to make it this morning.

mke
mke HalfDork
11/28/19 9:34 p.m.
2_3 said:

How do I build a trebuchet? I'm an adult, therefore I'm probably responsible enough to build and operate a siege weapon, right?

LOL

it's not that hard it turns out.  The hardest part on mine was there was a $300 material budget rule and a need to easily transport it so everything needed to be standard lumber and folding/ pop-apart.  The deck is 2 sheets of luan glued and screwed to 4  1×4x8's with a 6'piece of 2×4 across the end.  The uprights are 1x3x8'.  The arm is a pair 1x4s hinged to a 2x6 frame in back, ratchet straps take the te sion loads.  That's it. 

I planned to add some aluminum flashing down the center of the deck to make it slipperier....just a couple little thing to finish up.  If we do a renaissance fair I guess stain it to look old and replace the straps with rope...I guess.

mke
mke HalfDork
12/1/19 12:20 p.m.

Made some chips this morning!  Sadly they were wood chips but I think its car time now, just clean up the mess and onto the cylinder.....unless lana calls......

mke
mke HalfDork
12/1/19 1:54 p.m.

Can't remember the last time I saw the bottom of the chip try??? Or oiled the ways???

I'm ready to cut!  ....now lana has been showing me pics of refrigerators that match her stove and the replacement dishwasher I installed last week ( old one matched the fridge) but do not in any way fit the space in the cabinets so I'm sensing another delay coming.....but right now it's time to bore out this cylinder to 85mm.  Finish bore is 86 but I'll do that in a jig on the mill so the chuck doesn't distort it.  yeah, I learned that lesson already.....

mke
mke HalfDork
12/1/19 6:46 p.m.

Lathe work done. 

And because I cleaned the lathe before I started I know I cut off this much

mke
mke HalfDork
12/2/19 7:08 p.m.

I got the cylinder mostly done.  The piston goes in but I need to hone about another 0.001 with the fine stones.  I forgot what q bother it is...it get stupid hot, which make it want to taper so i final started dunking it in a bucket.  When I was doing all 12 I just went done the line an it was cool by the time I got back to it.....but the bucket works too.  Finish it up tomorrow  I guess.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/19 7:31 p.m.

You: "Have to rebuild my engine...  Here I am making new cylinders"

Me: "Have to rebuild my engine... damn, car-part.com doesn't show any pullouts cheaper than $300"

mke
mke HalfDork
12/2/19 7:46 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

LOL

This morning I was pondering 29mm exhaust valves...its all apart and I know the 28mm valves I have came up a little low on flow....then Google said the 29mm ferrea valve ate frikin $40 EACH....that's not happening.  I have limits too  :)

1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 ... 109

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0HYeUoEA6WplhfXFuLnEkHCcthVCwaYPZIb0RZN5EHqwkKHsFHiPcUFNztV6VT5W