1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 ... 109
mke
mke HalfDork
6/24/20 7:56 p.m.

A while back I designed and sourced a set of 17" wheels for another hotrodded 308, this one has a 355 engine.  One got list in shipping, he had a brake problem (previous owner had wheel adapters, right rear fell off for what looks like the 2nd time), but all is sorted and his new wheels installed...not bad if I do say so myself smiley

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/24/20 9:20 p.m.

Are those identical to the wheels you had manufactured for yours?

mke
mke HalfDork
6/25/20 6:44 a.m.
OHSCrifle said:

Are those identical to the wheels you had manufactured for yours?

No, these are 17" and a bit more OEM looking, which makes them a bit heavier but let things like he valve stem location be normal. He was pushing pretty hard for a factory look, I even ended up buying paint and making spray-outs to send to China to have them match the color.  His brakes are in a more OEM location too, so  I could make these more concave, again closer to original. Oh, and  these are also narrower at 8/9 vs mine at 8.5/10 so basically completely different even thought the conversation started out with "hey, could you make me a set like yours?"  smiley 

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
6/25/20 10:57 a.m.

I always thought these Rover wheels were Ferrari-esque and actually pretty contemporary in a Fifteen52 type of way 

mke
mke HalfDork
6/25/20 7:29 p.m.

In reply to OjaiM5 :

I like it, it is ferrari-esk

mke
mke HalfDork
6/25/20 7:31 p.m.

And here I was scared I hadn't left enough room to get the last trunk in next to the wall....silly me, there is litterally 10 times the room I left for me intake manifold and injectors smiley

Getting close to done...tomorrow night or Saturday I guess.

mke
mke HalfDork
6/25/20 9:00 p.m.

I should add this...I don't ever want to see ducts again as long as I live so if there are any HVAC guys reading this, I'm so sorry you had to see this in your time off....7nless you're reading it instead of working and chuckling at my pain, then I'm not sorry smiley

mke
mke HalfDork
6/26/20 4:34 p.m.

One more with the car out and about.....I'm not sure but I might like these 17s better than the 18s I did for my car????....or maybe I just like the idea of a running car  cheeky

Darel
Darel New Reader
6/26/20 7:15 p.m.

Former HVAC guy here...and I did almost have a seizure until I scrolled a little further.....

Actually I always kinda liked ductwork.  I mean, if I had to show up at that job....that'd be my choice.

mke
mke HalfDork
6/27/20 7:23 a.m.

In reply to Darel :

you know, remembering back the jackhammering was much worse, I kind of put that out of my memory.  I have to admit though that I kind of like digging...its just mindless work, can't screw it up really, you see progress in the right direction with each shovel...I don't hate that as much as I say.  The ducts, I just want them done....I'm a little happier now that its new work vs replacing stuff that worked fine already (in my mind anyway)...a lot of little cuts from handling it, that's annoying but its nearly done now and sadly there was no material breaks for engine time :(

Syscrush
Syscrush New Reader
6/29/20 8:53 p.m.

This thread is messing me up. I can't stop thinking about designing a GDI cylinder head for my motorcycle and having it 3D printed. Now, I only ever buy lottery tickets when the jackpot reaches $50M - but it's hard for me to imagine another path to actually ever doing that.

mke, those 17's look sweet. Nice work as with yours.

mke
mke HalfDork
6/30/20 10:16 a.m.

yeah...project budgets are hard to come by :(

Flipping channels the other day I saw saw the end of what looked like 3d print a mold then have it cast....they were making trim not heads but  same idea I guess.  Or you just do it my way...welding rod, $20-$30 bucks and you've got a head cheeky

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
6/30/20 11:22 a.m.
mke said:

Or you just do it my way...welding rod, $20-$30 bucks and you've got a head cheeky

Never mind the shielding gas, electricity, and time... laugh

mke
mke HalfDork
7/1/20 8:33 a.m.
Mezzanine said:
mke said:

Or you just do it my way...welding rod, $20-$30 bucks and you've got a head cheeky

Never mind the shielding gas, electricity, and time... laugh

I guess that's the difference between actually thinking it through and only thing of ways to  rationalize it .

In other news my dust work in basically done....I need a wall frame where the return will go and we're holding making the final connections to the system until the drywall is in and painted to keep dust out of the house....basement is still cool enough.  I need to wire, insulate, drywall...really struggling to find car time :(

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
7/1/20 11:29 a.m.

I only posted about the shielding gas because I had literally just emptied my own bottle. I only have to refill every few years, but it's a nice reminder about the actual cost to roll your own. I too like to rationalize my costs. blush

I assume you're doing the drywall yourself too? 

mke
mke HalfDork
7/1/20 4:40 p.m.
Mezzanine said:

I assume you're doing the drywall yourself too? 

Yeah...the "budget", which is all the money I have in the bank and expect to have in the coming weeks/months, won't cover material (if I ACTUALLY count everything wink,  not sure when there will be a floor other than the concrete or a bathroom, no way the money will go that far) so I'm the labor.  When I did the shop I bought  harbor freight drywall lift as Lana was already talking basement and it saved me calling in more favors for more hands...its a pretty poor quality tool but it got the drywall on the shop ceiling and I assume will do the same in the basement, then I will throw it out cause it is junk.  I also bought a rolling scaffold that I used to stucco the shop, then used to tape and mud the ceiling, so that will help too...I might keep this one when the job is done, its pretty handy and surprisingly decent quality...but I think I got it at homedepot so there you go.

anyway, ripping the 2x10s down to an actual 8 1/4 (I decided the original 8 3/8 just made the ceiling too low) and figuring out where tot screw them to the ceiling too mis the ducts and lights...so the spacing is very weird, which is going to suck for the drywall guy.......

Syscrush
Syscrush New Reader
7/3/20 12:08 p.m.
mke said: 

anyway, ripping the 2x10s down to an actual 8 1/4 (I decided the original 8 3/8 just made the ceiling too low) 

Please tell me that you're ripping them down from 9 3/8, not planing 1/8" off. laugh

rustomatic
rustomatic New Reader
7/3/20 12:48 p.m.

Today marks the first day I checked out this thread.  I'm theoretically working right now, but my chin is on the floor, so my progress has waned.  Thank science for creating mechanical maniacs!

mke
mke HalfDork
7/4/20 8:43 a.m.

In reply to Syscrush :

Yes, ripping them down and the scrap is becoming garden stakes

The first one I did was the 8 3/8"....and it's going to stay that way ...shhhhh.    it kind of had to be because I had  duct joints under joists, by the 2nd run I started cutting if need be to prevent that which made installing better and easier and saved 1/8"....so the ceiling in not completely flat...but there is also variation with how straight the boards are and such so I decided to just ignore it figure by the time the mud is on all will be well.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
7/4/20 12:32 p.m.
mke said:  harbor freight drywall lift .... I will throw it out cause it is junk. 

Yes, they're junk, but someone else will be happy to pay -some-money for one, instead of full price, for the one job they need to do with it.  I had one, plus the drywall-lifter-extendifier to do my 13.5' ceilings in my shop.  Scary as Heck, but it got the job done. Facebook Marketplace, and it will be gone within hours.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/4/20 12:33 p.m.

In reply to SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) :

I'm actually sitting here wishing he wasn't on the other side of the state so I could get it cheap

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
7/4/20 1:31 p.m.

If he's intending to just throw it away - how much gas is it for you to go pick it up?

mke
mke HalfDork
7/4/20 2:02 p.m.

Just let me get the ceiling done first, then its free wink

mke
mke HalfDork
7/15/20 7:11 p.m.

nothing interesting, still stuck in the basement.  Putting up lights, about 1/2 are up.  I wanted plenty so it didn't feel dark....so yeah....I'll probably need to add dimmers now or require protective eyewear to enter   laugh

Drywall should start in a few days and as i finish up wiring I was looking at projector specs trying to figure out  where to put power and signal for that when it hit me that the only thing better than a 130 inch movie screen is a 130 inch screen race simulator and I need a driving seat in the front row..this is going to be awesome!.....once i save up enough money to actually buy any of the stuff I found  sad

mke
mke HalfDork
7/17/20 8:23 a.m.

today its sad news, my sentence has been extended.  The insulation and drywall are going tomorrow which should mean I'm almost ready to hand this project over to the designer but yesterday the build sheet suddenly shows a requirement for a heated floor...wait what????.....that is not a small change and I don't see it taking less than 2 months.  But its apparently my double my fault, 1st I put pipes in the shop then I brought lana to the basement to go-over details and she realized that even mid-summer it "cold" down there.  

When I put the doors in I raised the threshold 1" because I guess in my heart I knew this day would come, I just didn't imagine it coming so soon.  I was on to picking out a projector and realizing my plan to hide it neatly on the ceiling in front of a beam was an issue in that it was too close to get the planned 130" image and everything I looked at was around 100-110 at that distance or was a total budget buster but I had just found this guy:
Optoma - UHD52ALV 4K

and if I tuck it all the way back into the "I "section of the beam to get me every last bit of distance will give me 129", its bright enough for my a non-walled theater area, 3/4 decent colors,  and its got a fast enough fps rate to make the kids happy gaming (part of me getting the race chair involve me calling it the mario kart chair :) ).  I could already see myself on the sofa with a drink....or in the race chair at least pretending I have a running race car.......now I see myself grinding the paint off the floor and then mixing oh...about 180 bags of concrete.....

1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 ... 109

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6vhh4Od9Jn5h83E7onSX6FS4fbLtGr8lUElQuV7MY8ZJxCCNompKzrJTbvK2xnbE