1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 ... 109
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
8/28/20 4:29 p.m.

Tentacle-arm arm-flailing inflatable tube man?

I approve!

solfly
solfly HalfDork
8/29/20 2:29 p.m.

Woah.

mke
mke HalfDork
9/4/20 9:35 a.m.

So I finished the primer yesterday and  last night I was doing a little picking up, putting in some outlets in the walls, cleaned some stuff up in the breaker box....and just looking it occurred to me that I'm really not sure the remodel has in anyway made the space more attractive....at least to me :)

Before

After

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/4/20 9:47 a.m.

It look like it needs a car in there...

mke
mke HalfDork
9/4/20 9:53 a.m.

In reply to stafford1500 :

YES!  All I see us 4 empty bays :cheeky

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
9/4/20 2:01 p.m.
mke said:

In reply to stafford1500 :

YES!  All I see us 4 empty bays :cheeky

Till she picks out curtains & flooring then starts referring to it as "The game room"...................................

solfly
solfly HalfDork
9/7/20 5:19 a.m.
mke
mke HalfDork
9/7/20 7:40 a.m.

In reply to solfly :

I saw that and its basically exactly like mine was.....mine had crema (cream) seats too but  were shot and I switched to the 348 seats in beige that more match the carpet...so I think new it was a twin to that car....other than this car had the euro front valance and mine had the US valance which I replaced with a 288GTO valance

Syscrush
Syscrush New Reader
9/8/20 9:19 a.m.

Great, now I want a finished basement.

mke
mke HalfDork
9/24/20 11:54 a.m.

Waiting for Lowes to tell me my order is ready for curb pickup so I called the machine shop today.

Measure the rods and mains then grind the crank to match - about $350
Dust the valve so I know they're straight - about $100
Hone the cylinders in the block - like $600-800

Through the summer the shop was stupid hot so I don't mind NOT spending any time out there but its cooling down and I'm just tired of construction honestly.......The basement is consuming more than all  the money but I need to get the engine back together. .... I'll need to talk to Lana

mke
mke HalfDork
9/27/20 8:33 a.m.

Outside I'm up to stucco but the weather is not cooperating and it looks like Thursday before I have another shot at stucco weather...or perhaps it is as this means some shop time wink

Between covid meaning I have little interest in interacting with others so say sell my broken BMW and the basement project meaning I now have way less places to store stuff....the shop got STUFFED! and I'm down to a tiny little work space.  So today the plan is to play a game of musical stuff and see if I can open up room to work on an engine and perhaps even see the car again.

The one one head is STILL on the mill blush.  Once I clear some space, which is probably an all day effort, I'll be back on replacing the 3 or 4?, I forget intake seats, cut the exhaust seats and I guess drop the valves at the shop to be trued up....they said they are running a 3-4 week lead time but I'm hoping on a small hourish job they use it as a fill-in and won't take a month so I cn get the heads reassembled at least.

On that note...off to organizing, which I hate.

mke
mke HalfDork
9/27/20 10:12 a.m.

It just moving bays but still seemed photo worthy since it was out

mke
mke HalfDork
9/27/20 5:32 p.m.

Not perfect but I do have a place to work and can get to the car again. 

I did notice my 13 year old is starting to show a bit of interest as in...."It would definitely look better with yellow caliper and springs......so when I get my license can I drive it to school? "  Which of course led to the discussion...I'm not sure if I say I love you by saying yes or no.  I don't mind you wanting to drive it and I'm not worried about the car but what I am worried about is you and this car was a quite a handful at 600hp and I don't want anything to happen to you....lets hold that thought and let me see how you do driving it and then make a decision together and before that lets get it running and that means you helping be get even a little spending authorization from mama" :)

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/20 6:34 p.m.

I want a 308 so much!

solfly
solfly Dork
9/27/20 7:35 p.m.

Hopefully kiddo can help some and work on the budget side! Are you going to let him paint the calipers?

mke
mke HalfDork
9/27/20 8:43 p.m.
solfly said:

Are you going to let him paint the calipers?

I might...after the engine runs.  Not 1 cent can be spent until the engine runs, then it will be time to get back the the detail stuff and I have to agree with him that yellow calipers would look good on a blue car...yellow calipers, springs, swaybars all matching the wheel caps would look nice....AFTER the enigne runs.  

I was talking to Lana a bit about budget and the dyno came up....I would for sure let that project go to gt the engine to actually run again....last time it made noise was 2017!

mke
mke HalfDork
9/27/20 8:46 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

I want a 308 so much!

There re some cheap ones out there....mine was one of them.  They do say the most expensive ferrari you could ever buy is a cheap ferrari and I'm not sure they're wrong frown....but to this day I would argue that least I can say I have one cheeky

CJ (He's Just an FS)
CJ (He's Just an FS) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/27/20 9:27 p.m.
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) said:

Drywalling my entire shop made me MUCH better at body filler. There's always a silver lining.

Now that's funny.  I'm just the opposite.  My work with body filler made me MUCH better at drywall ;=)

mke
mke HalfDork
9/28/20 8:20 a.m.
mke said:

......before that lets get it running and that means you helping be get even a little spending authorization from mama" :)

Oh mama is good....

Son: Mama can we get papa's car running?"
Mama: "You know if I let papa spend money on the car I'll need to say no when you ask for money for your game or want a new microphone stand or anything like that?"
Son: I understand but getting the car running would definitely be worth it...I was so proud of him :)

That seemed to be enough of a push to at least get a discussion started.  Now it did start with a repeat of of "Oh, honey, this project need to last your whole life" but I was ready with "I know and just look at this poor think, the paint will take me a couple years, I can clean the interior but that needs to be redone, before that I need to rebuild the suspension, wow, I can't imagine ever actually finishing but it will be so nice to be driving it again like when we were dating".   That all led to discussing the numbers a bit which is a big step forward.  There are still logistics concerns to get past as they are expecting a big covid spike soon and I'm not real hopeful of seeing masks at the machine shop just as there were none to be seen at the stucco store but there seemed to be hope.

The plan is start with the valves so I can get the heads finished and try to have the block ready to drop off when I'm picking up the valves.....that puts assembly in December I guess.  Not sure about the whole dyno project as that needs money.....may just rent some time somewhere....don't know....I do know there won't be any starting it inside or without a second person

mke
mke HalfDork
9/28/20 5:30 p.m.

Cleaned up the valves and setup a V block and indictor just to be sure they will cut ok.....mostly goodish, all within .004 TIR except 1 intake that was over the 008 my tenth indicator could read.....but a smack in the head with a mallet helped it back onto the straight and narrow path at .002.   so they are ready to drop off to be ground.

Syscrush
Syscrush New Reader
9/29/20 8:58 a.m.
mke said:

Son: I understand but getting the car running would definitely be worth it...I was so proud of him :)

That kid still thinks he has a shot at driving that car to high school. laugh

Looking forward to seeing those valves ground!

BTW, I thought of you when I saw this - I don't think we're far off from a time when DIYers will do bespoke designs of heads based on OEM designs for one-off projects like yours:

Syscrush
Syscrush New Reader
9/29/20 1:25 p.m.

James May's musings on selling his 308 are touching and insightful:

mke
mke HalfDork
9/29/20 1:52 p.m.

In reply to Syscrush :

funny to listen to him....the first time I drove the 308 (I bought it site unseen so it was dropped in my driveway) I literally called my father from the car and said "you HAVE to get one of these!  This is amazing!"  I'd never driven anything like it...kind of a fluidness about the way it moved.  I agreed the car doesn't do anything as well as a modern car but its kind of a sensory overload when its in motion. 

The blowers I added changed it both in hp and sound/feel.  More hp was great, but it felt quite different, I still liked it...but.....I think (hope) going back to naturally aspirated will return much of the original feeling.....if not I'll just have to learn to live with it being stupid fast in place of the fluidness it once had....but I'm hoping for both and took a few steps along the way to keep the low rpm torque down well below what is was with the 24 psi blower which felt a lot like driving a big block vette around town...push the gas, the car shakes and goes.....that should be gone with the new setup least the shake part smiley

mke
mke HalfDork
9/29/20 4:32 p.m.

A ferrari tech buddy sent me this pic this morning.

Its a 308QV with the engine in the car and running.....yes, yes, very funny.....wait.....that looks like one of my EFI converted manifolds,  where's this car from?  ...sure enough I ported the head and intake and add electronic injector and fuel rails about 8 years ago as well as modeling it to recommend the cams and compression that went in.  The guy who built it also installed a 360 crank bumping the displacement to about 3.4 and with everything else the hp to about 350 at the crank (it was 235 stock).  I'd heard it sold recently, and there it is in Wade's shop taunting me.

Anyway, Wade very kindly offered up his valve grinding services so mail lady will whisk them away tomorrow.....and I assume they will make it to Wade once mail delivery magically returns to normal around Nov 4th frown

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/29/20 4:42 p.m.

In reply to Syscrush :

I feel I'm maybe three or four more successful casting sessions away from screwing around with something like that...

But that might be biting off more than I can chew.

1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 ... 109

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qmd6CbM5mUA1Q6pzogegivl6Ay13Xc7XwY4qDG6UDBiHdGnwcSeoBVXyKS59aQQQ