1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 ... 109
mke
mke Dork
11/26/21 9:09 p.m.

Spent a lot of time today fixing the car I broke with the stump but that did give me a chance to push the ferrari out and get it turned around so if it again becomes a flamethrower it will be pointing in a harmless direction.  I also pulled the radiator and found about a pint of fluid hiding in it that I got cleaned out.  Hoses and clamps arrived today, tomorrow morning I'll grab a battery and see if I can get this thing running.

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/26/21 10:42 p.m.

​​​​​​

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/21 7:25 a.m.

Who else would toss in $5 for a live stream?

mke
mke Dork
11/27/21 7:46 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Lol, I have no idea how to do that blush

Did get the battery, duralast gold to replace the Optima, web site say say cranking qmps but 4lbs lighter!

Realized the heater cores must have red coolant, there will be an hour delay while I figure out how to get that E36 M3 out plus I'm all out of sorts with the car pointing the wrong way...I keep going wrong directions.

mke
mke Dork
11/27/21 9:04 a.m.

Heater cores drained

BL
BL
11/27/21 10:01 a.m.

This so exciting you are almost there. I've been watchin this for a few months now since someone on my motorcycle forum told me about it. Although I have no where near your skills, I'm on a similar track as you, it's a franken build (shovelhead top end on an ironhead sportster bottom end) and I've been at it (between other projects) for about 12 years now. 

i finally figured out how to sign up to this forum to follow this thread for real. And now, like most others here, anxiously waiting to see you fire it up. 

mke
mke Dork
11/27/21 12:08 p.m.

Installing way more than my fair share of coils, then fill the coolant, load the ECU program....close.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
11/27/21 3:00 p.m.

The suspense is palpable.

mke
mke Dork
11/27/21 3:20 p.m.

Not today...throttle is not working, looks like a cap fell off the driver board.  Try again tomorrow 

mke
mke Dork
11/27/21 7:44 p.m.

Put the cap back on but that was not the issue...it was the tach pulling too much power on the 5V buss so the tach is off-line for now to the throttle is back on.   

A couple other little oddities...cranking I see about 10psi oil pressure which made me happy until I notice I was also seeing about 10psi fuel pressure with the pump off and no fuel in the tank...which left me with no confidence in the oil pressure.  For sure when I first added oil it pumped the tank down about 2 quarts then stabilized which I assumed mean both feed and return pumps were pumping and thought the pressure reading confirmed that.  Tomorrow I will add fuel and see what fuel pressure does and maybe disconnect the oil return line to see oil flowing....just to be sure.

I need to tie up a few wires in the wheel well so I can installed the rear wheels.  I need to fill the coolant.  I think the question tomorrow is how eaier do I try to make noise on a Sunday morning...10am I'm thinking.

Nader
Nader New Reader
11/27/21 7:56 p.m.

Don't forget the spark plugs.  (you're welcome)

CBaird
CBaird New Reader
11/28/21 11:57 a.m.

OK - it's almost 10 am PST and I understand you are in PA but there are about 500 folks hitting refresh on their computer waiting for the startup video. The excitement in the air is almost palpable. I've been following this feed for some time now and finally registered an account to weigh in on the excitement the masses are feeling this AM. Here's hoping things went smoothly and more importantly an update is coming soon!

mke
mke Dork
11/28/21 12:23 p.m.

Sorry, heading out to add fuel now and do final checks.

Oil system was plumbed wrong so I was trying to reverse flow the filters and they weren't having it.  That took a a little while to figure out then sort out then more time to get the feed and return pumps primed but I believe the oil system is working correctly now and I'm seeing north of 20pis cranking so good.

Getting the coolant is was also a challenge.  I had to drop the front to the ground and raise the rear  and that got it 1/2 full, then it was just a waiting game for the thicker evans stuff to leak through the pump and t-stat..slowly.

To the shop. Add fuel, pressure test and look for leaks.  Plugs in, roll it out and pray.

CBaird
CBaird New Reader
11/28/21 12:33 p.m.

In reply to mke :

We're all praying with you! Good luck!

mke
mke Dork
11/28/21 12:40 p.m.

Silence from the fuel pump....more troubleshooting frown

11/28/21 12:50 p.m.

In reply to mke :

mke
mke Dork
11/28/21 12:51 p.m.

Pump on, fuel on the ground....its just that kind of day

CBaird
CBaird New Reader
11/28/21 12:53 p.m.
mke said:

Pump on, fuel on the ground....its just that kind of day

Arrrghhh! Hopefully it's just a loose hose somewhere. 

mke
mke Dork
11/28/21 1:09 p.m.

In reply to CBaird :

That and the fuel rail spraying into the V somewhere.....clearly saying "sacrifice a large male goat" and actually sacrificing a large male goat are not the same things, the intakes need to come off.  I'm done for today as this is 5-6 hours best case so it can't run today anyway.

CBaird
CBaird New Reader
11/28/21 1:40 p.m.

In reply to mke :

Ah bummer. Hopefully something simple like a pinched injector o-ring or something. We'll be standing by for updates when you address the leak. 

Rigante
Rigante Reader
11/28/21 1:44 p.m.

oh man, keep trying it will all be worth it and you will be able to hear the internet cheer you on from your garage when this finally roars into life

11/28/21 3:22 p.m.

In reply to mke :

Good choice to step away, after making sure there are no fire hazards.

Syscrush
Syscrush Reader
11/29/21 10:12 a.m.
mke said:

Installing way more than my fair share of coils, then fill the coolant, load the ECU program....close.

I'm just gonna say it: that's an obscene amount of coils! surprise 

Sorry about the challenges you're facing getting this thing fired up, but it's great to see that you're continuing your careful, methodical approach where those of us with failed projects would get over-excited and start cutting corners.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/29/21 3:17 p.m.

The excitement is real but do not rush and berkeley something up.

mke
mke Dork
11/29/21 5:16 p.m.

Pulled the manifolds off and didn't really see the smoking (or leaking) gun but o-rings didn't look great so I ordered all new, be here Wed.  In the meantime I'll get everything cleaned up and ready to install and maybe have another look at the tach.

1 ... 77 78 79 80 81 ... 109

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VS0Bk21LWdab4pZnyUGeU35HRcxG9iAwLUajxOqfLjSIt7Wc6ICFjaJRR8CkbTBo