1 2 3 ... 20
Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/22/18 11:54 a.m.

Giving away the rest of the parts car since we have now pulled everything we will need for the build. The only stuff left that might be of use is the glass (all 6 pieces are good and included) and the targa top, and maybe the windshield trim. Hood, trunk, engine cover, doors, all still there but none are in great condition. This is free because that is really close to its fair market value. 

You will get the body (with no floors) only. No engine, suspension, interior, etc. 

Ian will be available all weekend Jan 4/5/6, if it is not gone by then we are calling the scrappers. It is easy enough to lift with a few people, so if you brings some friends you can get it on a trailer no issue. Ian will even probably help you load it if you give him a beer.  

Car is located in Livonia. 

A few equally worthless cheeky pictures coming in a minute or two.   

Robbie
12/22/18 12:27 p.m.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/22/18 1:13 p.m.

Someone should put that on a VW Bug floorpan.  Just because.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
12/22/18 3:27 p.m.

ooh.  bad thoughts.  I hope it goes to screw ball home with fabrication skills.  smiley

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
12/23/18 12:39 p.m.

So Make a Legends/FSAE car Mid Engine With a Big Bike Engine and add body, It's Legal    for the challenge, There is another few pounds to remove too!

Robbie
12/23/18 1:32 p.m.

In reply to GTXVette :

Well this one has already donated quite a few parts to a bike engined challenge car build...

What is truly amazing is even with everything cut out of the middle (that center spar is 100% cut) and the targa top off, the doors still open and shut like nothing is wrong. The unibody rails on these things are SOLID.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/23/18 2:07 p.m.
Robbie said:

In reply to GTXVette :

Well this one has already donated quite a few parts to a bike engined challenge car build...

What is truly amazing is even with everything cut out of the middle (that center spar is 100% cut) and the targa top off, the doors still open and shut like nothing is wrong. The unibody rails on these things are SOLID.

They were designed with some proposed rollover regulations for convertibles in mind, the regs didn’t happen since the domestic manufacturers couldn’t/wouldn’t meet them and pitched a fit.  

Bertone/Fiat had already done the work, but it hurt the performance of the car a bit since they weigh quite a bit for their size and the US power output was a bit low due to emissions.

To be honest, the tin top cars of the time likely couldn’t meet those regs, but I digress.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/24/18 8:03 a.m.

I try not to muddy up threads with useless "OOO, I want that"s, but OOO I want that. The next couple of weeks are tough, but, if still around shortly into the new year, I'd be most interested. Have truck will travel. I'll contact when I'm able to get my ducks in a row. 

By no means am I suggesting holding this for me, just, please don't scrap it. It's Bootiful.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
12/26/18 6:25 a.m.

Is that light enough to put on a golf cart chassis...for the kids.

Robbie
1/2/19 1:06 p.m.
wheelsmithy said:

I try not to muddy up threads with useless "OOO, I want that"s, but OOO I want that. The next couple of weeks are tough, but, if still around shortly into the new year, I'd be most interested. Have truck will travel. I'll contact when I'm able to get my ducks in a row. 

By no means am I suggesting holding this for me, just, please don't scrap it. It's Bootiful.

still available! looking for it to be gone soon though. 

Robbie
1/2/19 1:08 p.m.
akylekoz said:

Is that light enough to put on a golf cart chassis...for the kids.

very likely. It is definitely between 500 and 1000 lbs right now. My guess is with doors and glass it is sitting at about 750. 3-4 people can lift it and move it around no issue. 

Robbie
1/2/19 1:09 p.m.

Another idea for this car:

If you have a friend who you owe a solid prank - get this car and put it in their house when they are away. It's only a little heavier than a pool table or large sleeper couch. 

wheelsmithy
1/2/19 7:41 p.m.
Robbie said:
wheelsmithy said:

still available! looking for it to be gone soon though. 

I'm working on it, don't want to talk E36M3, will PM when I can give solid times and dates. Don't wait for me, but 

wheelsmithy
1/3/19 4:00 p.m.

PM sent, let's do this.

wheelsmithy
1/3/19 5:03 p.m.

Robbie, my PM came back un-deliverable. 

Text is good. I can also supply an email. All this is appreciated.

Edited to remove phone #. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
1/3/19 5:44 p.m.

Build thread yet?

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/3/19 6:48 p.m.
wheelsmithy said:

Robbie, my PM came back un-deliverable. 

Text is good six one five 618-three four six nine. I can also supply an email. All this is appreciated.

FYI normally when this happens, in the email notice you received will be the recipients actual email address. So you can just compose an email & copy/paste the text from your original message into it. 

Robbie
1/4/19 9:16 a.m.

Just saw this guys, my bad. text sent!

wheelsmithy
1/4/19 10:30 a.m.

Thank You for the info, Mr Gossett.

I am in touch with Robbie, Left work early, am loading the truck, and heading North. My special lady friend is coming along, and while no weakling, weighs all of 120 lbs.

Anyone in the area up for loading on top of this?

Plan B is a U-Haul, but I'd love to load it up top, and rock on. 

Note, I am not a smart phone guy, but will update as I can.

Robbie, you are the man! 

KonaBoss
KonaBoss New Reader
1/4/19 11:05 a.m.

I live like 2 blocks from Ian, so long as I'm not working I can swing by and assist.

wheelsmithy
1/4/19 11:16 a.m.

In reply to KonaBoss :

Thank You, Sir!

U-Haul reserved. Looks like a lot to ask to get this thing up on a truck bed.

Robbie
1/4/19 11:25 a.m.
KonaBoss said:

I live like 2 blocks from Ian, so long as I'm not working I can swing by and assist.

Do you have an engine hoist? I know Ian usually uses mine, but unfortunately it is in chicago right now. 

KonaBoss
KonaBoss New Reader
1/4/19 11:30 a.m.

Unfortunately I do not.

wheelsmithy
1/4/19 10:50 p.m.

Thanks, guys, but we should be fine without a hoist. 

Pictured below is my patented Fiat recovery kit.

What we've got is about twenty tie-downs, 4-8' 4X4s, 2 small ramps, a handy man jack, come-along, skil saw, sawzall, cordless drill, wood screws, hand tools, and a 4" piece of PVC, for easier rolling. 

When last we spoke, Ian was planning get the car on furniture dollies. I have a trailer reserved, and a lack of concern for personal safety.

We made it through torrential rains, wrecks and road construction in Cincinnati. 10 hours later, we're at an Econo Lodge within 20 miles of the trailer and Ian's. Jameson has been poured, and I'm only mildly concerned someone will steal the ramps, 4X4s and PVC out of the back of the truck. Our room is on the ground floor, so I can plug the block heater in. I am thrilled the snow isn't falling. 

P.S. Kona, I believe My special lady friend and I could load this solo, and definitely with Ian's help, but swing by none-the less if you have the inclination. Everyone's help/enabling is greatly appreciated.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/5/19 8:02 a.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy :

That looks amazingly organised. We're normally looking at each other saying "is the come-long in your truck?"

1 2 3 ... 20

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
29zYlvkhX3x1T4N8aVBtPeI9D6OFTXjbB8D81FGoL7YGui0e0iMNJGtJRfCLdENf