1 2 3 4 ... 19
crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/12/13 9:54 a.m.
mndsm wrote: What's happening to the remainder of that front clip on the GC8? I have a buddy that has a legit RHD GC8 STi- Japan tags and all, might want stuff from you.

I actually parted it out and made a good deal of the investment back luckily.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/12/13 10:00 a.m.
Raze wrote: Dude, seriously, AWESOME! My buddies and I have always joked (in a why-the-hell-not sort of way) about doing what you're doing for serious. Since I am indeed right down the street as you eluded to on my build thread, and I work over in Marietta, if you ever need a hand with that, let me know, I have no shame helping others in their pursuit of automotive sanity...

Thanks for the offer and I will definitely take you up on it! Progress can be slow at times with limited space and hands. When I get a friend or two over for beers and wrenching the most seems to get done. So any handyman Atlanta people feel free to co e by!

Hoop
Hoop SuperDork
1/12/13 10:05 a.m.

Absolutely brilliant!

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/12/13 10:41 a.m.

I'll be in the garage all day as we are getting a weird 72 degree day here in Atlanta. One more picture to show I'm down for the cause.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi SuperDork
1/12/13 11:44 a.m.

Roofrack = awesome

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi Reader
1/12/13 12:51 p.m.

This is great!!!

Cole_Trickle
Cole_Trickle HalfDork
1/12/13 7:33 p.m.

Too cool. I am loving this build!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/13 8:16 p.m.

Fubaru is an excellent name.

Love the project. Post more details and pictures please, we eat this stuff up.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/12/13 11:20 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Fubaru is an excellent name. Love the project. Post more details and pictures please, we eat this stuff up.

You guys are great. Keith - Flyin Miata and Slowcarfast fame? I read the MG v8 blog at work one slow work day about a year ago. Super cool!

Closer than ever now. ALL dimensions are right and the mounts are ready to be welded in!!

Suggestions always wanted as well too.

A buddy had to get creative with positioning by this wall. Bonnet shuts, ducting fromt the side scoops will go to the intake and intercooler

Axles are happy

Plugs will be easy!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
1/13/13 9:40 a.m.

I would SO love to see what the Ferrari-ista think when it blows them away.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel HalfDork
1/13/13 5:16 p.m.

Everybody's been too dazzled by the other awesomeness to mention your licence plate, so I will: 8AVETTE is perfect.

Please resume blaspheming.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/13/13 11:03 p.m.
Stealthtercel wrote: Everybody's been too dazzled by the other awesomeness to mention your licence plate, so I will: 8AVETTE is perfect. Please resume blaspheming.

Ha! I've had that obnoxious plate for years! I love Corvettes but that tag has been on my former 400 hp Galant VR4, 911 with turbo rotary, FD rx7, r32 skyline to name a few weird ones. Who knows if i'll actually run it on this car. One last update for a while, test fitting the stock 350z muffler.

RossD
RossD UberDork
1/14/13 7:34 a.m.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/14/13 7:43 a.m.

Great build, but you loose points here because you modified the motor for 2WD instead of the Ferrari for AWD.

Enyar
Enyar Reader
1/14/13 8:15 a.m.

Everything going on here is superb, even the roof racks!

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/14/13 8:43 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Great build, but you loose points here because you modified the motor for 2WD instead of the Ferrari for AWD.

I still have the Subaru center differential if you want to come over and figure that one out!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/14/13 11:42 a.m.

When you're done you need to take this to a Ferrari-only track day and beat some real Ferraris!

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
1/14/13 12:27 p.m.

Or bring it to the GRM Challenge as a lark, we would crawl all over that E36 M3.

So much win in one car

cdowd
cdowd Reader
1/14/13 12:33 p.m.

there is alot of want in this project.

Chris

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/14/13 1:42 p.m.

I love you.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/13 1:55 p.m.
crankwalk wrote:
pinchvalve wrote: Great build, but you loose points here because you modified the motor for 2WD instead of the Ferrari for AWD.
I still have the Subaru center differential if you want to come over and figure that one out!

Ha! "Put up or shut up!"

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/14/13 2:07 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
crankwalk wrote:
pinchvalve wrote: Great build, but you loose points here because you modified the motor for 2WD instead of the Ferrari for AWD.
I still have the Subaru center differential if you want to come over and figure that one out!
Ha! "Put up or shut up!"

Can you flip the differential in the housing? If so, then you could mount it backwards and run the shaft to the front with a reversed pumpkin.

Otherwise, a transfer case style solution with a chain drive to route the output 180 degrees to the front could work as well.

I think an Audi transaxle could be made to work and get you away from the horrible sounding pig of an engine (sorry, I love the project, but I really don't like the sound of suby 4's. A flat 6 would have been cool though.)

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/14/13 2:18 p.m.
turboswede wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote:
crankwalk wrote:
pinchvalve wrote: Great build, but you loose points here because you modified the motor for 2WD instead of the Ferrari for AWD.
I still have the Subaru center differential if you want to come over and figure that one out!
Ha! "Put up or shut up!"
Can you flip the differential in the housing? If so, then you could mount it backwards and run the shaft to the front with a reversed pumpkin. Otherwise, a transfer case style solution with a chain drive to route the output 180 degrees to the front could work as well. I think an Audi transaxle could be made to work and get you away from the horrible sounding pig of an engine (sorry, I love the project, but I really don't like the sound of suby 4's. A flat 6 would have been cool though.)

This drivetrain has no room to be flipped whatsoever, that being said, I have had plenty of AWD cars and this one is staying RWD. I want to drive it eventually and not just make crazy EXPENSIVE custom stuff forever for the sake of being "that guy". As far as the flat 6, I like them but the tuneability isn't as good as the 4. If I couldn't have a V8, I needed BOOOOOST. Also I'm not a millionaire or and engineer unfortunately so I'm taking the easiest way out as possible (in my head) to have the car moving under its on power. At least I didn't put a 1600cc air cooled motor in it. That would have been a little sad.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/14/13 2:21 p.m.

EDIT: double post

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/18/13 6:07 p.m.

Thanks to Raze on here for coming up and hanging out today we got a lot of the wiring sorted out and the downpipe cut. Now just to figure out what to do with the other 11 ft of wiring I wont need.

1 2 3 4 ... 19
Our Preferred Partners
sUoxqcx0dEG2uq98JX1vXhnlj1KY2XeVLk52AzkAXNvY589SZnLXrOJ1NBszdbMj