1 2
maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/2/18 7:34 a.m.

The G did a funny thing this week. I picked up some lunch and went to start it, and nothing. No click, no struggle. Lights and everything worked. I got someone to jump me, and same thing. Nothing. I took apart some of the plastic panels near the battery in the Jimmy Johns parking lot and found a push connector going into the fusible link had wiggled loose. It looked a bit melting, so the snaps didn't hold it in. Gravity and vibration must have let it drop to disconnect the starter lead. I pushed it back it and it fired up like normal. This also seems to have solved the "haunted windshield wipers" problem I have noticed lately. They turned on for like no reason and you had to jiggle the stalk to turn them off. 

Anyway, here are some day-after-flood glamour shots.

Chappers
Chappers New Reader
3/2/18 9:40 a.m.

Glad you got it going again!

Which road was flooded?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/2/18 10:16 a.m.

In reply to Chappers :

The one in front and to the right of the car.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/2/18 10:54 a.m.

I picked up a 350z last year and that motor is a damned peach. Revs well. Very, very good power. Solid like an anvil. You've got a good find there. 

$1200 is very little to pay for so much car. Since it's so cheap..have you considered a cheaper turbo system? You can get a pair of Ford Ecoboost turbos used for under $300 a piece these days. 

maschinenbau
3/17/18 12:17 p.m.

Good news! My local SCCA region got their venue back...which means autocross next weekend! Since I only have 3 more weeks left with the G before I chop it into pieces, I plan to give it a good try in D-Street. That means new tires. I went with Riken Raptor ZR 300tw in 225/45R17. They are silly cheap, less than $300 shipped to my door, and are a sub-brand of Michelin, so they can't suck that bad. Supposedly they have bad noise quality, but are pretty sticky. Perfect for a Challenge car. They're overall a little wider and shorter, which looks a little small in the G35 wheelwells but will look better on the Datsun. So far they handle great!

Then I made a new grill using leftover stucco lathe I bought for the Rice Rod's grill. Certainly looks better than the broken plastic pieces that keep falling off, and only took about 20 minutes to make.

Now all I need is mad camber so I can live that V I P  L I F E #BallerOnABudget. And yes, the hood is shut all the way.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/17/18 5:55 p.m.

ahh... cooling dents... they're like vents, but easier to make cheeky

I'm interested to hear how this combination does at the autoX, good luck!

maschinenbau
3/20/18 4:31 p.m.

Spring has sprung...a snow storm that blew a piece of garage off my garage. Luckily the Infiniti was there to catch it.

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/20/18 6:15 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Perfect parking lot cruiser. 

maschinenbau
3/25/18 9:09 a.m.

My SCCA region is amazing and will run almost any weather. It's 35 degrees. There aree 3 inches of snow on the ground and a solid sheet of ice on the tarmac. I have brand new summer tires. I'm still gonna send it.

Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy SuperDork
3/25/18 2:17 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Is that Walesboro?

Weather man said we got more snow yesterday than the rest of the year combined.

maschinenbau
3/25/18 3:14 p.m.

Yep! Columbus (Indiana) Region is back at Walesboro airport. Surprisingly, the ice melted and dried by the 2nd heat so I had clean dry runs! Tech was a little challenging, given the elevated position of the hood, but all was good because yes it all the way latched. This chassis handles great, but wow that powertrain! It would burn a 300TW tire through 1st and into 2nd if you let it, albeit on cold tires with an open diff. I had the coolest looking launches. Almost won D-Street, which included all the local FRS/BRZ's and a Cooper S. The $300 set of Rikens are a fantastic deal. Very competent autocross tire. Can't wait to try them in warmer weather under a lighter, older car...perhaps an old Datsun wagon...

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
3/25/18 6:17 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

...perhaps an old Datsun wagon...

Oh man am I excited to see this!!

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/25/18 8:50 p.m.

Now I  am doubly sorry that I was out of town this weekend....

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
3/25/18 11:14 p.m.

It's going to be a shame to watch this thing get chopped up in the end. What parts are worth a lot, other than the obvious (lights, panels, etc)? Any weird options?

Chappers
Chappers New Reader
4/3/18 7:54 p.m.

So when is the big dissection happening? 

Give me a shout, I’ll be glad to help out.

4/3/18 7:57 p.m.

In reply to Chappers :

This weekend. Come join in the fun!

4/3/18 8:00 p.m.
maschinenbau
4/6/18 9:54 a.m.

Today is the last day this Infiniti will ever traverse a road under its own power. It took me to work this morning; tonight it takes me to the next level of automotive creativity. The legacy of this great machine will live on forever as the core foundation of my next Challenge car build, which begins this weekend with the combined help of fellow GRM'ers. Though our time together was short, I am grateful for everything this Infiniti was and eagerly look forward to everything it shall become. 

To Infiniti, and beyond...

Also I have already posted the part-out ads and have been negotiating offers. 

4/6/18 11:03 a.m.

R.I.P.  G35

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/6/18 11:34 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

Today is the last day this Infiniti will ever traverse a road under its own power. It took me to work this morning; tonight it takes me to the next level of automotive creativity. The legacy of this great machine will live on forever as the core foundation of my next Challenge car build, which begins this weekend with the combined help of fellow GRM'ers. Though our time together was short, I am grateful for everything this Infiniti was and eagerly look forward to everything it shall become. 

To Infiniti, and beyond...

Also I have already posted the part-out ads and have been negotiating offers. 

quoting because that's a great bit of writing

maschinenbau
4/16/18 5:48 p.m.

Said my final goodbyes and signed the title over to the scrap man, thus concluding this chapter of my automotive life.

I let it go for $40. I still have a garage full of body panels and other expensive parts to sell and my El Camino has its garage spot back. I probably would have let it go for free just to get my truck out of the rain. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Pt2CVRLi1DbtLAnkOzDWT80n6iG2ZaIGfodKAjuVUyjY2KzdnAdpFx95DvOJdt4b