1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 31
Mule22
Mule22
7/14/21 9:56 a.m.

Awesome project! Awesome car!

I've been kicking around a similar idea for about a year now, but was thinking a TA 2 camaro body.  I think i like the gen 1 version better.  Glad you took the plunge and posted here.  Now I know it's "doable" and you provided some instructions, thank you.

Now I've got a crazier idea.  Dropping a camaro body on my EVO X time trial car!  Yep, an AWD, turbo, gen 1 camaro!

I've been racing or time trialing with NASA for close to 20yrs, and had close to that many different cars.  I've always liked the turbo AWD platform.  Pic of my current car below.

Again, welll done!

Mule22
Mule22 New Reader
7/14/21 4:11 p.m.

Oh I almost forgot.....your radiator intake situation. I raced a C5 for a while and the trick I learned from the vette crowd is to lean the radiator forward. Keep everything the same in your sketch, just lean the top forward. This allows the air which is traveling upward at say a 45 degree angle, hit the radiator square. Then continue the air box after the radiator and out the hood. Creates a lot of front down force. And with the LS motor you can position the air filter right behind the radiator. Make sense?

heres a thread from the vette board about it. 
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/4363414-c5-lay-down-forward-radiator-3.html

and a couple pics

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
7/14/21 6:49 p.m.

In reply to Mule22 :

Glad you like my project! A TA2 body is something I've toyed with for my spare chassis also. Putting that on an evo platform would be something. Old Camaros  are about 108" and new ones are 110"...I think your wheelbase is a bit shorter so something would need to get get chopped. One of the reasons I chose my path was my feeling that wheelbase was tough to adjust to, but I could find solutions for width. But...anything is possible. 
Regarding the radiator, that's interesting. I also have a C5, and the Camaro radiator is much more perpendicular to the ground...but you are right...leaning forward seems like it would add flowing goodness with the angle of my incoming air. Because I've already created my plenum and it is working ok, I will stick with my current deal, but remember your suggestion. Appreciated!!

I've popped in tracspec  vents which seem to be evacuating the high pressure pretty well. More testing ( in a few short weeks) is needed to know for sure, for sure. 

Mule22
Mule22 New Reader
7/14/21 8:12 p.m.

Yep, wheel base is a big one. My wheel base is 104.5". Five star bodies go from 102-105". Not sure how there's 3" of play. Just going from their website. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
7/14/21 11:29 p.m.

In reply to Mule22 :

Right you are...a modern Camaro is 110. Didn't realize they were so different. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
7/15/21 5:46 a.m.

I am signed up for the August 14/15 NASA MA event at VIR. I should have most, if not all, of my critical list done with time to spare (knock on wood). 
For anyone running that weekend, drop on by. I should also have the bus ready to roll for the weekend. 
I will be running a DE but plan to go through tech for a logbook so we can compete when the car and I are ready. 
My first sessions will be sans aero and as I balance the car, add back the splitter and wing when the timing is right. This will be interesting...I am really looking forward to it. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
7/15/21 7:51 p.m.

The splitter is all tucked in. The 1/8" material that was suggested by Gimpy and Asphalt  is great. I've used this before but it was thinner and more malleable. This stuff should work very well. 
The quick disconnect is genius. Really like that. I still need to run lines to the front to make it ultra easy to disconnect but this will make loading so much less a hassle. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
7/16/21 3:50 a.m.

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
7/16/21 3:51 a.m.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/21 5:32 a.m.

In reply to jh36 :

Oh wow, that makes total sense seeing it like that. Such a simple & elegant solution!

Are the quick disconnects the only thing that attaches it to the car?

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
7/16/21 8:26 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Thank you, Pete.  The two quick disconnects are just behind the radiator and they are SUBSTANTIAL.  I don't know what they are rated for but they are basically made like car door latches on a y axis instead of an x axis.  They also have a very positive latch system on them, and there is a lock as well.  So I pick up those two points toward the rear of the car, I have the 4 supporting rods on the front of the car and I have one through bolt running through the fiberglass body, the air intake and splitter tying all that together.  I'll give that whirl and see if there is a loose link in the chain.

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
7/16/21 8:27 a.m.

7/16/21 8:55 p.m.

In reply to jh36 :

Ah ok, that makes sense now. If I reach the point of making a splitter for the DSM I'll definitely revisit your thread!

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
7/17/21 6:36 a.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to jh36 :

Ah ok, that makes sense now. If I reach the point of making a splitter for the DSM I'll definitely revisit your thread!

Just spent some time on your DSM thread and will be following carefully now. Your car would lend itself nicely to this setup. I'm going to play with an external release for the disconnects this weekend. Stopping by the local hardware store to get inspired. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
7/17/21 8:29 p.m.

Carbon fiber rod, safety wire, hardware store d-ring and racer tape. I have a feeling the carbon fiber rod won't last forever but it was laying around. 
But, the quick disconnect works with one tug and a then a pull of a four cotter pins. This will make loading the trailer much quicker. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
7/17/21 8:32 p.m.

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
7/17/21 8:34 p.m.

One of my Nascar bars was not welded all the way around. So I cut an access hole in the plate steel to get a 360 weld in. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
7/17/21 8:36 p.m.

Tough to make this picture out but it was tight. Just in front of the driver rear....got some with my right angle grinder but had to do a ton with a dremel and a cutting wheel. 1/8" steel plate. 

7/17/21 9:56 p.m.

In reply to jh36 :

Ok, that's a really slick setup on your splitter!

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
7/17/21 10:02 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to jh36 :

Ok, that's a really slick setup on your splitter!

Thanks Pete!  I'm happy with the speed an ease of attaching/detaching it. It is fun to just put on and take off!  

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
7/17/21 10:05 p.m.

I was going to use braided wire but I think having a rod has a more positive feel. 
Reviewing my list for VIr...the welding is the biggest one and I would like a better front tow strap. 
Tomorrow hopefully is as productive as today!

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
7/18/21 8:21 p.m.

Today was church in the morning, restoring a cast iron park bench in the afternoon and my son James came by and welded my problem Nascar bar for me. 
Next up...tow hook on the front.
My front tow strap is not the best. Just a wheel strap looped around the frame and a tow strap looped to that. It would work probably, but it's not great. 
There is not a great spot to weld or bolt a tow hook near the front. There is a pretty large gap between the frame and the fiberglass front. The metal there is fairly light and is either supporting the bumper or the square tubing that holds the body. It would be nice to not weld a ton of steel just for the tow hook. 

Originally, the ASA stocker had a tow hook up through the hood. I could go back to that idea...I could keep the straps. Opinions welcome. I'm looking forward strength, neatness and lightness. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
7/18/21 8:25 p.m.

7/18/21 9:15 p.m.

In reply to jh36 :

I don't think I've ever seen a tow hook through the hood before. It sure wouldn't look good with the new Camaro body. 

Is it a straight shot from a solid mounting point to somewhere out the front of the car? Or do you have to route it around ducting/cooling/etc.?

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
7/19/21 5:14 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Well, it's not my first choice, but it looks like the most practical right now. I could make a straight shot from the frame rail but it would require welding about 8" of extra plate, then welding the tow hook to that. 
I've seen it on IMSA DP cars and some time attack cars. It may be considered a style point in some crowds. Some drag cars pick up at the corner of the windshield with a post presumably connected to the cage. Those guys actually have a similar problem to mine...no robust steel out front.  
Open to ideas. I can run my daisy chained strap for testing...I just don't think it's the permanent solution I seek. 

1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 31

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3MMemqFgGTdKtyOziqteLbPcuKzsy5MDSArGpAPW3kENFvAlIPV942EyGFABNAiL