1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 31
jh36
jh36 HalfDork
7/19/21 5:35 a.m.

Did some sweet googling. 
It seems this is popular with Nissan folks.  There are a few through hood tow hooks offered and seems to be prevalent among the 240sx crowd...and a few are made for Miatas.  
Most  attach to the strut tower, same as a tower brace bar.  
I am not sure I would want the safety crew pulling me out of sand anchored to that. 
If I did it, I would be attaching directly to the tube frame. Still, not my first choice. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
7/19/21 8:23 a.m.

I've been side-barring with HalfFast.  When not tooling around the track in his NASCAR Truck or M3, he is head EV dude at Summit Point.

He has nixed the through-hood idea.  

I'm going to dwell on ways to protect the current strap idea (with a better tow strap) from severe angle damage.  Also I will also consider beefing up my shade tree bumper mounts enough to take the abuse possible in a sandtrap pull.

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/19/21 9:12 a.m.

Some argue against pull strap hooks on hood, etc. , because if the strap breaks it might come whipping into the windshield.

YMMV

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
7/19/21 9:53 a.m.
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) said:

Some argue against pull strap hooks on hood, etc. , because if the strap breaks it might come whipping into the windshield.

YMMV

Darn good point.  Thank you.

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
7/20/21 5:25 a.m.

I've decided to go with a simple solution. Racequip has a 24" adjustable tow strap that can attach directly to the tube frame. The only concern is "severe angle" damage, but I think this is the way to go until I can do some more serious welding up front. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
7/20/21 5:29 a.m.

There was a request for a full car shot with splitter on...

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
7/20/21 5:30 a.m.

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/21/21 11:48 p.m.

Wow, the wrap really transforms the look of the car! Looks great!

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham UberDork
7/22/21 2:46 p.m.
jh36 said:

If I were a funny guy I'd put TOW stickers next to those when you weren't looking.

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
7/22/21 5:53 p.m.
Ed Higginbotham said:
jh36 said:

If I were a funny guy I'd put TOW stickers next to those when you weren't looking.

Ha ha...funny guy.  Your mother's son.  

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
7/26/21 6:33 a.m.

I have posted this question in the aero section, but there is less traffic there...I will also place it here for opinions. 
I'm considering cutting a 3 or 4 3" holes in my rear lexan to help cabin comfort/airflow and reduce parachute effect. 

What are your thoughts?

Have you tried this?

Will this (significantly) negatively effect the flow and the effectiveness of the wing?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/26/21 6:40 a.m.

In reply to jh36 :

Spec Miata guys that have a little flapper door they put in the rear window of their hard tops. You may want to look at that application and see if they're reporting issues with wing flow

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
7/26/21 8:12 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Sweet. I will look into that. I do have a couple of chums who run SM. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/26/21 11:20 a.m.

Seeing Ed on the forum makes me smile. :)

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
7/26/21 8:18 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

So glad that's your reaction!  :)

Mine as well.  Usually.

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
8/3/21 9:00 p.m.

I'm out of town for a week on a working vacation...of course, my mind is wandering to the car.  We will be testing at VIR in 1.5 weeks and I have a pretty good list to knock out before leaving next Friday.   Maybe posting this will help keep me organized.  I haven't run the bus (other than bring it back to my house) in aboust 15 months, so there's some extra stuff there to do.  

RACE CAR 36

• Fill in Fire Wall
  • Add heat shield to fire wall
  • Passenger door jamb
  • Coolant bleed
  • Shift Light (call again)
  • Reassemble dash
  • Bolt torque check
  • Install Tow Strap
  • Drill hole in roof for wedge adjustment
  • Drill holes in rear window ****

BUS

• Check oil
  • Check coolant
  • Tire Air Pressure
  • Wash
  • Check lights
  • Check propane, fill?
  • Fridge, gas on?
  • Water, fill
  • Battery for genny

PACK

• Spare slicks on roof
  • Edward's BMW stuff he's selling at VIR
  • Logbook
  • Race License
  • Race Gear
  • Clothes
  • GoPro
  • RacePak
  • Food/Drinks
  • Water
  • Tools
  • Gauges
  • Notebook
  • Chairs
  • Grill

OTHER

• Have Edward help set up RacePak
  • Test GoPro 
  • Test Trailer Lights
  • Wash #36
  • Apply GRM/PRS decals
2Girlsracing (Steffi)
2Girlsracing (Steffi) Reader
8/4/21 4:46 a.m.

I was racing with a guy two weeks ago with a polycarbonate rear window in a datsun that had four 2" holes across it, he told me that without the holes it blows out.

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
8/4/21 7:23 a.m.
2Girlsracing (Steffi) said:

I was racing with a guy two weeks ago with a polycarbonate rear window in a datsun that had four 2" holes across it, he told me that without the holes it blows out.

Thanks...relieving the parachute effect is my main concern, and that helps my decision. It may disrupt the flow to the wing, but even if that's true, it seems the lesser of two evils.  And, I see that wasn't on my punch list...double thanks!

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
8/5/21 11:14 a.m.

SpeedwayMotors informed me that my shift light is back ordered to late August, so we will be without that for the test next weekend. I don't have much lifetime experience with them but I will say, ordering is easy but follow ups are not the best. Once I get a human on the phone, they are great...but if that human transfers you to another human, it crashes and you start back over. I am very familiar with their classic rock hold playlist now. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
8/8/21 11:56 a.m.

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
8/8/21 8:30 p.m.

I got a few items crossed off the list today. 
Four 2.5" rear vents for anti-parachute and hopefully aiding cabin airflow. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
8/8/21 8:43 p.m.

While I had the drill warmed up, I popped a hole in the roof to make adjustments to the Watts Link and used a 1" firewall plug to seal it. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
8/8/21 8:45 p.m.

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
8/8/21 8:48 p.m.

Next, I fished my tow strap through the front and fastened it to a 1.75" heavy duty exhaust clamp around the tube frame. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
8/8/21 8:50 p.m.

1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 31

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
htPoHPRqPAYZWJvRCfVSlzGDFCEarSV6Z2vHHgD1Nm9m6FNBWHwQp7BhwDL1ulnF