1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 31
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/3/21 5:42 a.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

That could be amazing. But I think you should go a slightly different route and custom-form a station wagon body for it out of carbon fiber - you know, for science & E36 M3. Just be sure to include the fake wood graphics when it's done. 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/3/21 9:09 a.m.

And since you don't want to copy Jack and build a Camaro...

70 Cuda body

67 Nova body in CF

64 GTO / LeMans

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
10/4/21 5:52 a.m.

It was good seeing you this weekend...I think you are about to make a wise decision. 

Which could be the burn pit or the meeting...I'm not sure. 

I am stoked that you are considering it.  My original plan was to make a second Camaro, but doing something twice seems boring unless it's a business proposition. My next thought was to do a '67 Mustang fastback because that's my favorite year 'stang. But with a multitude of projects standing by and only having two hands, I would MUCH prefer this go to you. 
This feels perfectly right to me. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
10/4/21 6:03 a.m.

It was a good weekend. Seeing Tom, JG, Chris, Katie and Miles was great. Also, you forum guys that came by the bus...that was nice. 
Driving home last night, I had a thought that we should do a forum member cookout next year at Hyperfest...bring your cars to the bus and do a Cars and Cocktails. 
Im writing that down. 
I did a video interview with Chris on the Camaro build...fun. 
I got to catch up with Connie Nyholm (owner of VIR) who is one of my favorite people in the industry. She is awesome. Johnny from Nine Lives was there so I got to thank him for my well engineered wing and swap stories about Ed Higginbotham who was not there to defend himself. Johan Schwartz swung by as a nice surprise. 
All in all, it was a great reminder that this auto family we have is pretty darn special. It's very similar to my music family actually. 
We had a guitar display in the GRM Pavillion which was really well received. A HUGE thanks to Max, Kayla, Ian, Drew and Colton..PRS guitar builders and car enthusiasts...for holding down the fort and representing the company very well. A great fringe benefit was to be able to hang out with this gang. 
Tons of guitarists were in attendance... and the winner of the shred contest, a young man named Callaway, blew our minds. He is gifted and has also worked hard...it shows. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
10/4/21 6:04 a.m.

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
10/4/21 6:22 a.m.

The car itself...I have some good news to report. 
The re-seal on the rear seems to be good. Everything stayed nice and dry. 
a little massaging on the air intake and a new radiator cap made and the car ran cool. It was fairly cool on Test and Tune day Friday, but I stayed right around the 180-190 mark. 
I had to park the car because the clutch gave up the ghost. It has a tiny (5" I think) clutch and I have been figuring out how to drive this thing. I think I killed it if it wasn't almost already dead. 
I have been told (a) that it is a quick and easy job and (b) I have all the needed parts in a box somewhere to do the job. 
The only other thing that has my attention are the brakes. 
I could only apply slight throttle without spinning the engine because of the clutch so I estimate I was only going about as fast as my 944. And while the car slowed, it didn't bite and decelerate the way I would have thought. I did have them warmed up well at the end of each session and saw no appreciable improvement. 
I cleaned everything with brake clean before the event too...the rotors and pads are old but in good shape. The car is light...open to guidance from the herd on this one. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
10/4/21 1:28 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

I haven't done a ton of research on this, but keep in mind the wheelbase is 108" which does match a camaro and a mustang.  It looks like the GTO is quite a bit longer.  But guess what does come really close...yeah.  A Javelin.  :)

10/4/21 2:14 p.m.
jh36 said:

I haven't done a ton of research on this, but keep in mind the wheelbase is 108" which does match a camaro and a mustang.  It looks like the GTO is quite a bit longer.  But guess what does come really close...yeah.  A Javelin.  :)

You have no idea how many hours I wasted trying to find a fiberglass Javelin body.

That said, I know where there's literally dozens of them in Florida for GRM if they want to have a metal skin. Bonus points for coming with a VIN and being CAM legal...

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
10/4/21 2:27 p.m.

If I was going to make a second car, I was going to make it from a steel shell.  There are serious good reasons for doing this.  I think attaching would be easier and it could take some bumping and grinding.  And if it's just the skin, I think the weight increase is nominal.  Not a bad move.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/4/21 2:40 p.m.

Hey Jack what is the wheelbase and track of the thing? Asking for a friend.

Until Facebook got nuked I was looking around through an old GT-1/Trans-Am group and it looks like there's ocasional sets of bodywork floating around out there. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
10/4/21 3:33 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

Hey Jack what is the wheelbase and track of the thing? Asking for a friend.

Until Facebook got nuked I was looking around through an old GT-1/Trans-Am group and it looks like there's ocasional sets of bodywork floating around out there. 

Tell your friend for me...

The wheelbase is a smidge over 107.  The width outside to outside of tires is about 75".  Track as i measure it (outside to inside of tire) is 63".  I am running some ridiculously wide (12") tires.

Probably more important, I ended up at 60" for the width at the rocker.  That is easily done by cutting back to the main framerail.  60" matches up perfectly with a Gen1 body and I am 99% sure a first gen Mustang.

The popular wheelbase for pony cars seems to have been 108", so some very minor trimming gets you right there.  I did take some off the leading edge of the front fenders, but that was mainly due to the width of the tires pushing the geometry out.

JG Pasterjak
10/4/21 4:22 p.m.

In reply to jh36 :

Okay I'm going to need you to slow waaaaaaay down on replies before I make some bad decisions here.

Looks like GT-1 wheelbases are in the 100-105" range, which is actually smaller than I thought, although could probably be made to work without much trouble, especially if you were using a multi-piece body. C4 specs show them at 100", while third-gen Camarobirds are like 105, so that's probably doable somehow. Width could be an issue, but I think it's the Trans-Am bodywork that's super wide, and GT-1 specific bodywork is a little narrower overall.

Right now this is literally the ONLY reason I want facebook back.

JG Pasterjak
10/4/21 4:26 p.m.

Okay, looks like GT-1 has a max track width of 70" with a max body width of 80", so I'm thinking GT-1 bodywork could possibly be adapted without much more trouble than your '68.

10/4/21 4:31 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

Okay, looks like GT-1 has a max track width of 70" with a max body width of 80", so I'm thinking GT-1 bodywork could possibly be adapted without much more trouble than your '68.

This is the incorrect answer. You want a humpster Javelin shell so you can build this...

10/4/21 4:32 p.m.

I should mention that the entire nose is available in fiberglass, as well as the rear valance and bumper, decklid, and doors. You literally only need a metal roof/sail panels. Plus the whole VIN thing, did I mention the VIN thing? You could run it in CAM...

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
Gimp (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/4/21 4:54 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

Welcome to CP wink

JG Pasterjak
10/4/21 5:47 p.m.
Gimp (Forum Supporter) said:
JG Pasterjak said:

Welcome to CP wink

So it looks like for a tube car to run in CP it's got to be wicked heavy. Based on Jack's car, race weight of one of these things could be as low as like 2750 soakin gwet with a driver. For CP it would have to be like 3300. XP on the other hand... it should slot right in, and you also get real aero.

JG Pasterjak
10/4/21 5:48 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

I should mention that the entire nose is available in fiberglass, as well as the rear valance and bumper, decklid, and doors. You literally only need a metal roof/sail panels. Plus the whole VIN thing, did I mention the VIN thing? You could run it in CAM...

They all came with LS power, so while a Jav would look tough, I think it makes more sense to stick with a GM product. Plus, then you get to do this, and there ain't a thing wrong with this...

10/4/21 6:06 p.m.

I like where you're going, but honestly every race track is littered with that gen ex-GT1 car. They are cheap on racingjunk and are just kind of meh. You need to go older (think Deka Monza or IMSA 2nd Gen Crammit) or else something a little newer and way less mainstream (ex-TA Jag body) unless you do Whistler Mustang. I'll forgive Whistler Mustang.

10/4/21 6:21 p.m.

Other acceptable bodies:

4-eye fox Mustang

MN12 Cougar

Merkur XR4Ti

Celica

Monza

2nd Gen Crammit

Mustang II

Buick Somerset

Dodge Daytona

240 SX

Beretta

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
10/4/21 7:17 p.m.

I like where javelin is coming from...but I suffered through some of the same thought process and ended up thinking, if it's an LS, I should stick with a GM product.  One crazy thought I had was trying to figure out how to do an BMW 3.0CSL.  
I'm not an expert on the car above, but looking at the image, it could be that the Trans-Am body would slip right on the cage without modding the A-pillars or door bars.  That would save a ton of time and bending/welding.

Another option...I got this image from the interwebs, but originally saw it on Gimpy's thread...it caught my eye and my imagination.  Gen2 FG bodies are out there.   ***EDIT***I just saw this was on Javelin's list as well.

1981 LeMans 24 Hrs, Chevrolet Camaro, Cale Yarborough, Bill Cooper, Billy  Hagan, IMSA GTO | Chevrolet camaro, Sports car racing, Camaro

JG Pasterjak
10/4/21 9:22 p.m.

I guess I could do a Somerset, but then I'd never get any work done because I'd just be out in the garage whackin' it all day.

The cool thing about the GT-1/T-A bodywork is the molds are all still out there. Tommy Riggins i think has some Firebird or Camaro stuff, and he's just up the road in Jacksonville. Les Cannaday has al the old Rocketsports Olds Cutlass GTO/T-A molds. And ACP and Derhaag still have all their molds. Certainly someone from that list would be excited to work with a plucky car mag on a cool project...

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
10/4/21 9:37 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
Gimp (Forum Supporter) said:
JG Pasterjak said:

Welcome to CP wink

So it looks like for a tube car to run in CP it's got to be wicked heavy. Based on Jack's car, race weight of one of these things could be as low as like 2750 soakin gwet with a driver. For CP it would have to be like 3300. XP on the other hand... it should slot right in, and you also get real aero.

There was a certain tube frame fox body four-cylinder turbo Mustang that ruffled a few feathers at Nats.  It got aero and ow weight too. 
I'm not encouraging you to build one, but a lot of people were upset so it's at least a little bit funny.

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
10/4/21 9:40 p.m.

Actual real question. I'm pretty sure Optima had a rule in place like this, but is there a no "race car" rule in CAM?

JG Pasterjak
10/4/21 9:43 p.m.

In reply to Gimp (Forum Supporter) :

Well, four cylinders get a HUGE weight break, though. And I thought Rob's car had enough stock floor pan that it was still legal as a "tub" car (even though none of the tub actually supports anything)?

1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 31

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vDupplvlx0QfNpx6sul7V19jfNosgACfmdAx26IOAgRa1ApP0r5vfXgbaw6ZOAs2