1 2 3 4 5 ... 31
slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
10/24/20 9:44 a.m.

The naked chassis looks fast even sitting still. I love the chrome wheels, are you gonna keep those or switch to a different style?

jh36
jh36 Reader
10/24/20 11:55 a.m.
slowbird said:

The naked chassis looks fast even sitting still. I love the chrome wheels, are you gonna keep those or switch to a different style?

It is fast. In the backyard that is.  I like the chrome also. I have normal black Nascar wheels too...many sets, so we are going to powder coat one set white and see what looks best. We can have a forum debate!

jh36
jh36 Reader
10/24/20 12:10 p.m.
jh36 said:
slowbird said:

It is fast. In the backyard that is.  I like the chrome also. I have normal black Nascar wheels too...many sets, so we are going to powder coat one set white and see what looks best. We can have a forum debate!

One other thing regarding style...these are normal GM bolt patterns, so not the Wide5. I could use other wheels. I have a set of z06 wheels for my C5 but I think I am going to like this old school vibe. 

jimgood
jimgood New Reader
10/25/20 7:38 a.m.

LOL at the "box of ideas".

The great thing about the TA look is that colored wheels look good. Depending on your color scheme, yellow, red or even blue wheels can look really awesome.

jh36
jh36 Reader
10/25/20 9:27 a.m.
jimgood said:

LOL at the "box of ideas".

The great thing about the TA look is that colored wheels look good. Depending on your color scheme, yellow, red or even blue wheels can look really awesome.

I completely agree....the yellow wheels on Mark Donahue's Penske Camaro are iconic.  So, we do have a lot to play with on this.  I'm already thinking about colors (totally out of sequence, but it's fun to think about) and i think I'm going to take a stab at a vinyl wrap when the time comes....I've never done one and while i have a decent spray rig, I didn't really enjoy the last paint job i did...i think I'll use this as an excuse to see what wraps are all about.

jh36
jh36 Reader
10/25/20 9:29 a.m.

This is the "Box of Ideas" I got from Allstar Performance.  They cater to circle track and drag race community, so fitting fiberglass bodies is a thing with them.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/25/20 9:32 a.m.

The thing i ran into with nascar sizing is that theres a shortage of non circle track tires in that size. We were running autocross,  so big track may be different. But Hoosier f40 was as good as we could get, and still sucked. 

You may seriously want to look into 17-19 inch wheels for tire availability. 

jh36
jh36 Reader
10/25/20 9:35 a.m.

Conceptually, here's how it works.

I got the 1.75" rollbar clamps.  There is a through hole as well as a 1/4-20" threaded hole.  Then i got telescoping rods that are much more stout than I imagined.  While I don't have my final strategy mapped out, I'm sure these are going to fit the bill in a few areas.  The fastening bolt I tested with is obviously too long...strangely, I don't have much of an assortment of 1/4-20" hardware. 

jh36
jh36 Reader
10/25/20 9:38 a.m.

As i scrolled down to do this post, a Late Model car caught my eye...it looked just like the beginning of my project.  Wait...IT IS MY PROJECT!  Thanks Colin and GRM for giving me that 15 seconds of fame I've been lacking!

jh36
jh36 Reader
10/25/20 9:43 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

The thing i ran into with nascar sizing is that theres a shortage of non circle track tires in that size. We were running autocross,  so big track may be different. But Hoosier f40 was as good as we could get, and still sucked. 

You may seriously want to look into 17-19 inch wheels for tire availability. 

Thanks....I was a little worried about that too.  I have bought Hoosiers from Phil's Tires (Hi Kim and Phil!) for a long time, so I emailed them.  According to Phil, there are a few options in various compounds...3045, 3035 and F45.  Still lots to figure out in this arena, but if i do hit a massive wall, these hubs and wheel bolt patterns are good to have for aftermarket wheels.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/25/20 9:46 a.m.

I vote for a set of street tires as well, for melting brains at cars and coffee.

jh36
jh36 Reader
10/25/20 10:35 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

I vote for a set of street tires as well, for melting brains at cars and coffee.

Ha HA!  Yeah, I do plan on getting this to some local events when she's done.  My company co-sponsored a Cars and Coffee with a local brewery (ironic) last year and we were set to do a series this year...then #COVID.  We should be done for UTCC/Hyperfest with time to spare...sort of the ultimate east coast Cars and Coffee.

jh36
jh36 Reader
10/25/20 10:41 a.m.

It's a rainy, cool, fall day in Maryland.  Perfect for the shop and pondering. 

Regarding body mount, here are some thoughts.  I have a  rear support was made for the Late Model body, but it telescopes so with it nearly all the way down, it will do a great job of supporting the rear.  I'm happy so many bits of the original car are able to be modified for this.

jh36
jh36 Reader
10/25/20 10:42 a.m.

jh36
jh36 Reader
10/25/20 10:45 a.m.

And yes, that cross member will need to be re-shaped a bit before final attachment. 

With the rear adjusted so that the body is even on the frame rails, it is touching the front corners of the halo...this is best shot at striking "ZERO" and saying this is how the body should sit on the chassis.

jh36
jh36 Reader
10/25/20 10:46 a.m.

That material on top of the halo is just self-adhesive weather stripping.  I thought that would help the rub factor a touch.

solfly
solfly Dork
10/25/20 1:43 p.m.

Let's see a wide shot of how it's sitting in there now.

jh36
jh36 Reader
10/25/20 2:23 p.m.
solfly said:

jh36
jh36 Reader
10/25/20 2:25 p.m.

In reply to solfly :

The front is just resting on there but you can see how much the two piece rocker will need to wrap down. I think it will be ok. 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/25/20 2:35 p.m.
jh36 said:
solfly said:

surpriseblush oh my, I need some alone time...

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
10/25/20 2:47 p.m.

Looks good from here, I suggest hitting the send button. 

And yes, it's a rainy gray day in MD today; waiting for it to stop raining for real here in Baltimore.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/25/20 2:49 p.m.

Hey!  Another Maryland person!  With that out of the way, fantastic looking!  Shoot the rocker area with some flat black and no one will see it.  And no classic Camaros died in building this car.  Again, fantastic!

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
10/25/20 3:11 p.m.

Amazing build, carry on!

solfly
solfly Dork
10/25/20 3:24 p.m.

Looks outstanding!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/25/20 3:24 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:
jh36 said:
solfly said:

surpriseblush oh my, I need some alone time...

Bonertown's getting crowded. That is sick!

1 2 3 4 5 ... 31

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tkRY6DZinGETUMVMBZdYSEqzJl3nSZ3w59Nuzf1241xLZvzPgQdpMspxK3QoLUfb