lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/7/21 10:39 a.m.

Ok gang, I still have numerous projects that seem to be in a perpetual unfinished state, but hopefully this will be a good year getting finished up. I certainly shouldn't be bringing anything else non-running into the shop, but here I am starting another thread.

I'm weak!

I can't say no to a cool project!

I'm an addict!

I've had LOTS of cars, race cars, motorcycles and other motorized crap in my day, but never a P-car. My parents have a Boxster which is way too much fun to drive. My brother has had 2-3 Boxters. Her father has had several Porsches, but nothing ever for me. That was until Tuesday. I ended up doing a deal to get rid of some of my "stuff" and at one point the buyer made mention of this project sitting unloved in a corner of his shop just taking up space. Here we go again, a stray needing a good home!

I ended up with a much unloved 914 that someone began doing some modifications to but either lost interest or ran out of time/talent/$$$. Who knows, doesn't matter, it's in the shop now for me to figure out what to do with moving forward. I certainly don't need it sitting around, tripping over the pieces/parts and just occupying valuable space. I began to put together a plan on where building it needs to go in the short term and even began buying parts for the build. Remember, I'm an addict or masochist depending on your point of view. 

I don't think this build will go anywhere very quickly, but I do need to get the suspension back under the car in order to make it a "roller". That will make it much easier to at least move it around the shop or outside if need be. 

I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT PORSCHE 914's, so this should be fun. I don't really want the car, but don't believe it's very "sale-able" in its current condition, so I need to do improvements to get it to the point that's it's attractive to others. I believe it's too far gone(a in a race car sense) to be put back as a street car, so I'm thinking either full-on trackday build or a less extensive cage and do an "Outlaw 914" street build. I do have a title for the car, so there's a value to that, but being unfamiliar with the Porsche and 914 community, I don't know where to go with the car. In my mind, a cage with low door bars, aluminum dash with a full compliment of Autometer gauges, 2 race bucket seats, carpet kit, no bumpers, 4 BIG driving lights out front, wide enough wheels/tires to fill the flares and no fancy paint job. Maybe just enough primer to cover the bondo spots. Something like Carl's Corvette in "King of the Mountain". Just plain raw.

Oh and to make it move, a Subaru swap out back. Not a Subaru Outback, a Subaru engine & transaxle swap from a WRX or STi. It's the easy way to swap one without breaking the bank using Porsche parts. 

Anyway, here we go again. 

More info to follow........................

That looks pretty sweet.

How's the "Hell Hole"?

For reliability's sake, I like the 6cyl Subaru engine, you know, kind of a Water cooled 914/6. Any Subie should be awesome, though. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
3/7/21 12:57 p.m.

I bought a Chevy V8 to 914 trans adapter (now sold) to a guy that was putting an Audi V8 motor and trans in its place.....

lots of power if you can figure out the electronics

And my buddy put a Corvair 140 motor in his 914 :)

3/8/21 11:46 a.m.

Well,  got a few hours in the shop and decided to clean out the 914 to see just what I'm in for. Quite surprised at what I found. Someone had replaced the floors, rockers and the area of the "a hell hole". Obviously it was for a reason, these cars are known to be attacked by the tin-worm, so this one was no different. The frunk(front truck) looks fine with no rust issues and other than the boxed upper strut mounts with some questionable fitting/welding, the whole area doesn't look too bad. 

I was also able to pick up a set of new full flared rear quarter panels and a fiberglass hood with headlight delete. With no provisions for headlights, I guess there are BIG a driving lights in this cars future. 

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/8/21 12:03 p.m.

I like where this is going.

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/8/21 12:12 p.m.

Safari build?

3/8/21 12:44 p.m.

Seriously considering it IF I keep it. 

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/8/21 4:26 p.m.

Sweet and following. I have a '74 in the Toilet currently. Err..oh yeah and a '72 sitting at a friends...

3/17/21 4:03 p.m.

Small update. I was able to buy a complete 911SC front end for the car. The rear trailing arms/hubs were already swapped for 911 parts to achieve the much more desirable 5-lug pattern. The front end swap does a few things. First, the torsion bar options are better for the 911 vs the 914. Next the crossmember is aluminum and much lighter than the metal 914 piece. The struts are larger diameter and also have more options. The brake caliper bolt spacing is 3.5" vs 3" and allows for many BBK bolt-ons. Finally, now the front wheels will be 5-lug to match the rear and opens up lots of possibilities for wheels.

I will say that I have learned something in the last few weeks. Old air-cooled Porsche parts are CRAZY EXPENSIVE!!! Holy carp!!! If I keep this thing, there is absolutely no way that a Porsche engine/transaxle is powering it. Subaru is first on the list and Porsche is the last. Anything else in between could be a consideration moving forward.

4/3/21 3:53 p.m.

No progress on the actual project itself, but I needed to find a set of wheels to roll it around on. Porsche wheels, 5x130, arent very plentiful, so I decided to look for a set that I might end up using on the car. My search lead me to looking at FUCHS from a 911. WOW, are people proud of their staggered sets of original FUCHS wheels!!! I had no idea just how crazy pricing is on older air-cooled P-car parts especially wheels. After lots of searching, offers and negotiating, I was able to make a deal on a set of 15x7 & 15x8 original wheels. Certainly not "perfect", but they are going on a track car not a show car, so more than good enough. Now to find some used tires. I'm thinking 205/50 and 225/50's if I can find a few used ones. 

The bits and pieces are being collected so when I get some time to devote to the car, I won't be waiting on the mailman to show up.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
4/3/21 4:50 p.m.

Keep it German , look for an Audi V8  motor and trans......

its been done before  ............

here is an Audi V8 motor and trans in a mid engine Lotus , 

https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/6152-1981-s3-v8-conversion/

well done and lots of photos (more got deleted by sutterfly   GRRRR )  and measurements......

4/4/21 9:27 a.m.

I have no problem doing any of the fabrication to make it fit, my weakness is wiring. There is no way I could figure out how to make it run after it's in the car. Since that is such a long way off, I can do the research to find out if there is anyone who can build a stripped down harness to make it communicate with the necessary sensors to make it go "vroom". A V-8 growl, non LS, would be cool coming from a 914. 

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/4/21 9:47 a.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
773OL9V9WP8hNHQk3lhWmRk8GG7l7RYyUEym89KFn0dfSM2wJR6f2WzscAtda3eV