1 2 3 ... 6
NordicSaab
NordicSaab Reader
2/21/16 9:05 a.m.

Introduction: $100 1974 BMW 2002

Have a few minutes so I figured I would start this thread. Some have seen the post where I bought a lot of x2 cars and a trailer for $300. This BMW is part of the build. Car has enough rust to scare off most people, but I'm not that smart. And now with the pictures:

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Reader
2/21/16 9:10 a.m.

Today's Topic - Tell me all your dirty little secrets

So, I had a couple hours today and I began figurign out the extent of the rust repair needed. The passenge door sill is the worst, but at this point has not affected the structure of the car. I am not touching the cage until this part of the car is structurally restored, because I suspect the cage is providing some support.

My step one right now is to neutralize rust and to focus on rust repair later.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
2/21/16 9:11 a.m.

So what's your plan there?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/21/16 9:13 a.m.

No way! That find is totally awesome! I missed that the first time around.

The one thing I would "temper" on your Challenge plans for the car- don't cut the car up too much- that car is an easy vintage racer, with the history it has. I'm not sure how 2002's are selling these days- race prepped and history and all- but I suspect that they are much like GTV's like one I have. While sales are light, the value is still there.

Before I found the car I have (and have been trying to sell), I had a '67 GT Jr that I was going to challenge (it was given to me) and turn into a vintage racer.

Great car, and have fun!!!!

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Reader
2/21/16 9:17 a.m.
Sine_Qua_Non wrote: So what's your plan there?

Plan is still being developed. Here is what I have defined so far:

Milestone 1: 1) Neutralize Rust 2) Start Engine 3) Install Driver Seat 4) Make Drivable

Milestone 2: 1)Rust Repair on Passenger door sill 2)Megasquirt 1/FI 3)Suspension/Bushings 4)Brakes

Milestone 3: 1) Turbocharger

Milestone 4: 1)Cosmetic Rust Repair

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/21/16 9:21 a.m.

Yikes, but I would have bought that car in a heartbeat.

84FSP
84FSP HalfDork
2/21/16 9:22 a.m.

Looking good. Should be a cool beast!

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
2/21/16 9:33 a.m.

Until i saw that door sill, i thought "scary rust? Nah. Thats easy" . I've still dd'ed worse. Please tell me the sweet stripes are staying.

pav5069
pav5069 Reader
2/22/16 7:46 a.m.

I wish I was you right now. I mean that haha

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Reader
2/26/16 6:08 a.m.

Just a couple of quick updates. A parts order was placed later last week and this Saturday Hobieracer and K. Hennard (From GRM Challenge) will be coming over to remove the mini stock car (Hobieracer has some evil plans for this) and to lend a hand reviving the 2002. Expect some updates over the weekend.

Also, if anyone is in the Melbourne area on Saturday, come stop by and say hello.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/26/16 8:17 a.m.

It was cool seeing this in person last Sunday. The rust actually looks worse in pictures than in person. That or being that close to all those cool 2002 performance parts jaded my view.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/26/16 8:23 a.m.

Really cool find! Love me some 2002s and I agree with mndsm - those stripes HAVE to stay.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Reader
2/28/16 2:49 p.m.

Fuel and Spark

Didnt get as much done this week end as I would like but things are moving along.

The mini stock car(and many spares) has been claimed by Hobieracer

Findings:
-Starter Turns and solenoid works -I have spark -Electric fuel pump still works -Mechanical fuel pump still works

Work accomplished: -Front bumper removed -Radiator removed and purged -Fuel tank drained and filled with fresh gas -Hood removed -Front Grill pieces removed -Carb refreshed

And now, pictures...

Next steps: I have this Friday off. Im hoping that will be the day to start the car. I will also have all the parts to the cooling system. The main problem I am going to run into is the car does not have a fan. I will need to create a fan system.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Reader
3/30/16 7:09 p.m.

Acid Trip

Just a small update. I have been battling the rust issue and have applied one coat of OSPHO with great success. I then pressure washed the entire vehicle and have applied another coat of OSPHO for good measure.

The pictures below were taken today after applying a heavy coat of OSPHO. If you have not used it before, OSPHO is strong stuff (It is basically really condensed orange juice). In some of the pictures you can see the asphalt bubbling from the OSPHO.

The plan from here is to coat rusted areas with rustoleum rusty metal primer (bought a gallon for $25) once the rust is neutralized.

In parallel I have taken the battery box and soaked it in vinegar for a couple weeks to get down to solid metal. It has been cleaned and painted and has quite a few rust holes in the tray, but is very usable.

I have ordered some "nut-serts" ($6) to reinstall the battery tray. I hopr to get these this week.

I have also purchased a new battery ($100); which was more than I paid for the whole car.

The low end goal is to get the rust neutralized and the car stated.

On the starting the car end, the carb is good to go and the fuel lines have been purged, but I do not have spark. I suspect it is a ground issue, but I don't know at this point.

5 months to go and no time :/

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
3/30/16 8:19 p.m.

That's not rust. That's patina. Good get and congrats. Looking forward to the next steps.

chiodos
chiodos Dork
3/30/16 8:35 p.m.

So awesome! Keep up the great work, excited to see how she turns out

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Reader
4/3/16 4:08 p.m.

It Lives.

I will update more later tonight, but for now here is a video. It lives!!!

Link: https://youtu.be/dkNSFd19LNY

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
4/3/16 4:41 p.m.

Was that exhaust or rod knock?

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Reader
4/3/16 6:09 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

The header is swiss cheese, so it's the exhaust. Engine sounds very healthy.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/3/16 6:33 p.m.

Congrats on the engine start but you scared the E36 M3 out of me with this:

NordicSaab wrote: 5 months to go and no time :/

I count 6 months from last Wednesday ... E36 M3 that's not enough time.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Reader
4/4/16 6:03 a.m.

Seeing Red

Pictures of current progress

After the asbestos wrap here is what is left of the headers on the car

Rusty metal primer

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-i7h56eXBH9M/VwJHs3qnZxI/AAAAAAAAHNY/2l06ttFX1Ns1bMlI9u_IIkZcPeVteDd_A/w621-h466-no/IMG_20160403_150123315.jpg

Finding good metal in the bad sill. All the metal for the suspension tie in point and inner sill is solid.

Next Priorities: Replace alternator, New grounds (culprit for ignition box), re-install cooling system, Reinstall battery box with new hardware.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/4/16 8:12 a.m.

Awesome progress. And great find

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Reader
4/7/16 5:50 a.m.

Free Flowing Exhaust

Small win. Spent about an hour yesterday and got the bad exhaust header off the car. Now I just need to decide which one of the "spare" long tube headers I am going to put on. BTW, this header may have had some impact on the sound of the engine running...

Wxdude10
Wxdude10 Reader
4/7/16 6:22 a.m.

That's what we call a low restriction header.

What a great find! Good luck and have fun!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/7/16 7:29 a.m.

Very cool--thanks for sharing.

If you want this thread moved to the build section, just let us know.

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Qxf0LJmQViW6jVSYusdBR16o614zv3fTBMNi1xE0tlXoQqhxEniY4jrP5c8d7Ex2