1 2 3 4
fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/23/12 5:24 a.m.

Looks like a car my grandma drove a few years back.

Luke
Luke UberDork
9/23/12 7:50 p.m.

^Exactly

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps HalfDork
9/23/12 9:01 p.m.

I likey :)

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/24/12 1:18 p.m.

Camry V6 5spd in Richmond, VA now.

http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/3200991279.html

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/24/12 2:50 p.m.

Did they make a V6 5 spd Camry wagon?

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 HalfDork
9/24/12 10:23 p.m.

This is going to be awesome.

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
10/1/12 1:28 p.m.

We took this thing to the $2012 Challenge and set some baselines. If you had been there, you'd have seen its hardcore body roll and the hard-as-a-rock 600-treadwear tires.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1999-toyota-camry/baselining-our-camry-2012-challenge/

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/1/12 2:40 p.m.

This should be much quicker with harder suspension, the floppy gag suspension is what's always made this car an awful wallowing barge with enough power to get into serious trouble instead of a Mazda6 competitor.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
10/1/12 2:59 p.m.

Part of the deal with this project is that we are trying to keep it as off the shelf as possible.

Set of H&R springs and Tokico HP shocks over there---->>

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
10/1/12 3:02 p.m.

Awwwww..... no Ksports?!?!?!

RobVN
RobVN
10/1/12 8:39 p.m.

I put Eibach springs, Tokico blue shocks, TRD rear sway bar and front strut tower braces on my Camry V6 5 speed. Much flatter but still steers like a Buick.

Per Schroeder
10/1/12 8:56 p.m.

I am not expecting miracles from an off the shelf street suspension....rather it would make the car more usable and consistent when pushed. Consistent = confidence = fast.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Reader
10/2/12 8:29 a.m.

i cut some coils with fresh gabriels, put energy suspension bushings, and 225 width 16 inch nexen tires on later model camry steelies. made a DRAMATIC diffference in mine.

also, solara front bucket seats are a bolt in with much better support, and the factory strut tower bar from those is a drop in.

hawk makes pads. incredible difference.

good luck, guys.

michael

Per Schroeder
10/2/12 8:38 a.m.

Ooh, that's a good tip...Solara parts!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Reader
10/2/12 8:55 a.m.

sway bars are same diameter, struts are slightly different, and rear suspension is a LOT different. exhaust is also different.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/2/12 9:28 a.m.

I had a TRD Quickshifter on mine, but if I were to do it again, I'd probably just change the shift knob to something that had less padding. Over time, the shifts became notchier, although that probably won't be as big of an issue down in FL. Redline fluid in the transmission is a must, though!

Here's the Whiteline parts reference for that model: http://www.whiteline.com.au/do_segue4.php?make=Toyota&model=Camry&model_final=CAMRY+%2F+VIENTA+SXV20R%2C+MCV20R+%28SCEPTER%2C+VISTA%29&vehicle=8%2F97-7%2F02

The endlinks on the rear swaybar are a pain to get off (the allen bolt strips easily), and they're something like $75 each for the Toyota part. Be careful when taking them off...

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
10/2/12 9:41 a.m.

I love how the staff of GRM are active on the forums.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/2/12 9:54 a.m.

In terms of forums, Camryman.org was the place to be back in 2000, then it went down for a few weeks and everyone moved over to the ToyotaNation forum and stayed. Camryman.org never came back, I have to wonder if Toyota gave him some grief about the domain name.

5 spoke IS300 wheels were a popular mod back in the day. In terms of brake pads, I had the EBC Greenstuff and the Hawks, and I definitely preferred the Hawks.

Per Schroeder
10/2/12 10:10 a.m.

I have new a/r links, strut mounts and other suspension rebuild stuff in the back room ready to go on with the other suspension parts. It's all pretty inexpensive online.

I decided on Hawk HPS pads for this car as they're good, yet still very streetable.

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
10/2/12 10:59 a.m.

Anybody get any video of that autocross run?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Reader
10/2/12 11:55 a.m.

ive giot a spare set for mine if you need em. i got them on sale when pep-boys was discontinuing hawk. my camrys getting sold in the VERY near future, so i wont need them. ill even throw in a half used set with the new ones.....

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
10/16/12 10:33 a.m.

A Camry with an oil accumulator. Weird.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1999-toyota-camry/fixing-get-fixing/

Nashco
Nashco UltraDork
10/16/12 3:16 p.m.

So, is that a temporary location, or are you going to cut a whole in the bumper cover/grill/whatever to gain access to the pressure gauge and shutoff valve? I'd love for somebody to try and figure out what the holes in the Camry bumper cover are for in the future after the accumulator is gone!

Bryce

Per Schroeder
10/16/12 4:44 p.m.

It's somewhat hidden back there, but Steve Hoelscher spotted it at the Challenge autocross. It's probably not going to get cut-outs, as we're just leaving the valve open--we're more concerned about starvation than cold/dry starts.

Per

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
10/17/12 5:44 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: Please, please, PLEASE paint it beige and then spank a sports car with it. The humor value would be epic.

This grey is the Camry equivalent of beige. I think every other Camry produced is in this color including the one I drive.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dcyoSdWCDaVstvFowh6yBW1ZIffumnptFL73i54a1PgypQYxHr5zGogc3goofY7c