1 2 3 4
All_talk
All_talk New Reader
8/14/13 11:35 a.m.

Curmudgeon, thanks for the info on the rack. Its good to know I could get that narrow, that way I can fit the rack to my suspension instead of the other way around.

As for the project, I am in the planning stages (have been for years), of building a track car inspired chassis for my old VW. It will be a A-frame suspended front and rear with mid-engine Subaru power. Without the normal packaging constraints of an engine between the front wheels I am free to design with relatively long A-arms, but with the narrow track width of the Beetle this leads to a pretty short rack.

If I ever get this project off paper and into metal I'll try and post a build thread.

Gary

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/14/13 1:38 p.m.

Thanks for your interest! Definitely post pics if you get started on your project, sounds like it will be interesting.

OBTW, on page 2 there's a synopsis of the rack shortening including the dimensions I wound up with.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
9/1/13 5:54 p.m.

I'd say the rear suspension looks a mite different now.

So does the front suspension.

And it's a roller again.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
9/18/13 8:18 p.m.

A fellow posted this in the FB GT6 group. Something tells me he has looked at this thread:

http://www.ls1gt6.com/index.html

MKI_GT6
MKI_GT6 New Reader
10/5/13 9:54 p.m.

What are your plans for a diff and axles?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/7/13 10:04 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: Adjustable damping only. It looks like a set of eBay coilover sleeves and hats could be used on them, though. And I just happen to have a set of those too.

What did you do with these?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/8/13 8:26 a.m.

I sent you a PM with some questions.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
10/8/13 3:40 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote: Adjustable damping only. It looks like a set of eBay coilover sleeves and hats could be used on them, though. And I just happen to have a set of those too.
What did you do with these?

Those went away via eBay.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
10/8/13 3:42 p.m.
MKI_GT6 wrote: What are your plans for a diff and axles?

The diff is a Pontiac Solstice piece, I'm waiting on a few bits n' pieces to arrive so I can start fabbing. The axles will be hybrid Solstice/Miata.

SpitWankel
SpitWankel New Reader
10/14/13 3:49 p.m.

Howdy from Texas Curmudgeon! I am getting back to a rotary Spit project I started about Seven years ago. Your thread has been a great help here!

Planning to use RX8 engine and transmission, and I just picked up an RX8 Diff for mock-up / use. Looks like it will go in just fine. Certainly much easier than the GRM fellows had it on the Ro Spit.

My biggest concern right now is axles. I have a set of RX8 axles I was given with the diff (nice boneyard folks!). I have absolutely no experience in this area. Do you think I will be able to have hybrid RX8 to Miata axles made.

Once I have the axle situation locked down I am ready to start on the rear suspension.

Thanks for your efforts on this thread. I had never even thought about modding the front suspension. Your changes are certainly worth the effort.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
11/10/13 8:31 p.m.

I've been working on the differential mounting, had to locate urethane bushings for a CTS-V which is not as easy as it sounds then make custom sleeves for the rear mountings. There's a slew of parts (that's a Suthunism ) on the way that should kickstart things in the engine mount dept.! Moar pics soon. Doesn't help that I'm also prepping the Jensenator to receive a 13BT as well. Two engine swaps at once...

SpitWankel, the idea is to have the Solstice axle shafts resplined to fit the Miata outer CV's, Moser Axles can do this. I don't recommend welding, it did not work with the Abomination. The axle shafts will need to be at least .950 at the point where they will be resplined so the Miata inner CV races will work.

SpitWankel
SpitWankel New Reader
1/21/14 11:16 a.m.

In reply to Curmudgeon: Hey Curm, What kind of shocks are those? Specs or P/N?

SpitWankel
SpitWankel New Reader
1/21/14 1:15 p.m.

Curmudgeon will the body fit over the uprights you added for the rear top swing arm mount? Or.. sheet metal mods needed?

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
2/3/15 1:10 p.m.

Been a while since I updated this but it doesn't mean nothing has happened. Quite the opposite, in fact. My bud and I notched the front frame horns for clearance, built the engine mounts, built the steering shaft and had the Solstice rear CV axles shortened and resplined to allow use of the Miata outer CV's. I'm not able to lift heavy stuff so we have to schedule work days carefully. I will try and get some more pics soon.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
7/27/15 7:14 p.m.

I have been sorta busy with various crap but have not completely neglected the rotary GT6!

Engine mounting complete, the 'cooling module' (radiator, intercooler and oil cooler on a common frame) is installed, hoses made, etc. Working on a lot of little detail stuff now, for instance today's project was to make the throttle linkage (thanks, spitfire bill!) and to run the intercooler tubing.

Front view:

Drivers' side:

The wiring harness is finished and ready to plug in, the diff/driveshafts/CV axles are done, we had to make a completely custom rear 'tunnel' to house the diff. That's next up along with welding in the new rockers etc. then bodywork can commence.

AAAAUUUUUUGGGGGHHHH. I have rassled photobucket for 45 minutes now, the hell with it. The top photo is 'mirrored' so it looks like a RHD car, but it's LHD. Both pics are rotated to the left. Yet another reason to drop the iPhone when contract time rolls around. EDIT: Huh. Looks like photobucket finally decided to save my changes.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
18mldrVZH1Dc7APKZSUKQCJm1My9g7vczf1af1UWU3ur8UkjIxyzS5Wh6v9EyLmC