1 2 3
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/27/21 10:50 p.m.

Excellent start, I wish you luck.

dyintoracejr
dyintoracejr New Reader
3/28/21 7:24 p.m.

Did some work today on the car hoping to take off the great plates, only knew how or even what they were because of Rocambolesque, and ran into some issues which are that you need a hub puller so that you can get behind the hub to take them off. I was wondering if you could rent a hub puller just so we could pull the hub a tiny bit. But we did take of the rotors and callipers. 

ebelements
ebelements Reader
3/30/21 1:43 p.m.

I'm blown away that you can get a running 1.8T car for so little! Killer deal for sure.

Following along for sure. Jr is going to learn a ton and end up with a pretty cool race car. Can't wait to see the resurrection!

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/31/21 11:28 a.m.

So the enkies are 15 inch wheels.  I also have a set of prius wheels from last years forester.   I would sell them for the same price if you want them instead.  

bonylad
bonylad GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/31/21 1:16 p.m.

#GTIGang

dextervw
dextervw Reader
3/31/21 1:39 p.m.

1.8t never loose!  Good luck and have fun! 

dyintorace (Forum Supporter)
dyintorace (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/31/21 1:55 p.m.

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone!

Can anyone point us in the right direction on the removal of the "great plates" in the rear? Do we need a hub puller? If so, is that something we can rent?

They look like this:

Re-center plates

Median
Median New Reader
3/31/21 2:04 p.m.
dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/1/21 1:55 p.m.

It's been slow lately, due to me having shoulder surgery. But we're making some progress today. Adding lightness!

dyintoracejr
dyintoracejr New Reader
6/4/22 6:16 p.m.

And we’re back, highschool can be a real time sucker. Since I’ve last posted we’ve gotten a good amount of work done on the car though. One thing we’ve done since my last post is completely strip the rear of the car taking out the backseat, spare, and all.

Then, like I said, my junior year of highschool started picking up and my dad started traveling for work again, which meant this project was always put at the bottom of the list of things to do. But, recently we were able to start doing work on it again and have been going through it fast. The old brakes have been replaced with both new pads and rotors, all of the parts adding camber and recentering the suspension have been taken out and sold.

The front modified stance boy subframe has been taken out and traded for a normal subframe (yet to be installed)

The suspension as well has all been traded for some nice H&R springs with Bilstein shock with a possible strut brace for the car, with it only being a theory currently due to how bent out of shape it is.
My dad managed to find a deal on a possible intercooler we could install and run and some good looking Enkei wheels for the car.

This project is getting closer to being able to start rolling again and has been a really enjoyable experience for me to learn and explore what working on cars is like and how to do it.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
6/4/22 7:01 p.m.

Nice to see this back on the front page.  Are you planning on reinstalling the interior at any point or has that ship sailed??

dyintorace
6/4/22 10:00 p.m.
jfryjfry said:

Nice to see this back on the front page.  Are you planning on reinstalling the interior at any point or has that ship sailed??

That ship has definitely sailed. We're planning on pulling the sunroof and cassette if we can figure out how to make a patch panel. 

dyintorace
6/4/22 10:10 p.m.

The biggest recoup to date was the modified front subframe. Sold it for $325 via FB MP. VW stance folks will cut and weld the front subframe to gain more ground clearance. The guy we traded suspensions with threw in the stock front subframe from his parts car because it was going to the junkyard after I pulled the suspension.

Pics of the parts harvest plus a stock vs modified subframe.

Gambit
Gambit New Reader
6/4/22 10:13 p.m.

What's the normal value for a subframe like that? Seems like a rare hot commodity 

dyintorace
6/4/22 10:25 p.m.

I have no clue. I listed it for $350...guy offered $325 soon thereafter and I said sure. Selling that more than maxed out our $1k recoup, so I was content to sell it for that.

dyintorace
6/4/22 10:40 p.m.

We ordered a set of RT660 tires today too. 225/45/17 so we'll compete as GTN$.

Ordered from Tire Rack thanks to their sponsorship!

dyintorace
6/18/22 5:09 p.m.

New tires mounted!

dyintorace
6/30/22 8:54 p.m.

More progress tonight. Front and rear suspension are in and the stock subframe is in place.

dyintorace
6/30/22 8:54 p.m.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/30/22 9:06 p.m.

I totally forgot to check this out when I was there.  Long day driving had me tired.

dyintorace
6/30/22 9:26 p.m.
Stampie said:

I totally forgot to check this out when I was there.  Long day driving had me tired.

I think you were 14 hours in at that point!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
7/2/22 8:25 a.m.

I missed this post. Glad to see it moving forward.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/2/22 8:31 a.m.

Sweet.

With the new subframe in and the camber gone you can toss out your vape and white sunglasses.

dyintorace
7/2/22 10:39 a.m.

Come to find out, the car has no front sway bar. Evidently you have to pull those in order to run the car super low. Neither of us realized that until a friend came over to help install the front suspension and subframe.

So now we're on the hunt for a front bar. Adding a rear bar would be nice too.

dyintorace
8/1/22 9:18 p.m.
1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZGHHr80oZh4OUqmoggdWIUeXforvJ3FJtttP8RCIcp6ZmQUb4gA2jKtrhwYcKxBx