1 2 3 4
Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
5/10/19 7:50 p.m.

That's about what my F350 with the 460 got towing a 35' 5th wheel camper. 6.2 to be exact. 

Gaunt596
Gaunt596 Reader
5/10/19 10:21 p.m.

Stuff that large, MPG has a lot more to do with having the aerodynamics of a toolbox than total weight being moved.

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
5/11/19 3:42 a.m.
Toyman01 said:

Another small update.

The hydraulic controls for the leveling system are reinstalled and all destroyed wiring replaced or repaired. The system once again works as it should. 

I also ran it up to the gas station to top off the tank. I was curious to see what the mileage was towing the trailer. It got 6 mpg for the 140 miles that was on that tank. I guess if you are worried about fuel efficiency, you really don't want one of these. 

The best we got when towing  the Black Jack with a GMC Motorhome  was 9 MPG but that was a strong tailwind both ways.  6 was typical with the two ton truck/ camper  pulling two cars. One on the ramp and one on the trailer. 

Speed kills mileage. If you can keep it around 55 it’s worth a sold mile per gallon better than 65 

That’s why a lot of racers are using 18 wheelers. They can get a nice 8-9 at 65-70. Plus maybe haul a buddies car in the trailer for the gas money. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/11/19 5:58 a.m.
Gaunt596 said:

Stuff that large, MPG has a lot more to do with having the aerodynamics of a toolbox than total weight being moved.

Sometimes it doesn't even need to be that large. My old E-150 could get around 17 or 18 mpg on the highway provided I kept the speed at or below 65 mph. Holding 70 would see mpg drop dramatically.  Many older RVs were really designed for the 55 mph era.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
5/18/19 2:09 p.m.

Spent some time working on this beast today.

The bathroom leak was the toilet. Parts were available but I really hate the tiny, low toilets in most RVs, this one included. My ass is bigger than that. So I replaced it with a new, modern unit. The new one is the same height and size as a residential unit.

Old and crappy. Not a good picture.

New and still crappy.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
5/24/19 7:03 a.m.

The beast got 6 new tires yesterday. 

I'm going with impact damage on the ones that blew out. This is the third tire that was on side. The PO must have hit something. 

I had originally purchased two tires that I mounted at the track. It turns out the PO had put the wrong size tire on it. A F53 calls for a 235/75R16, not a 215/75R16. The 235s are rated for 600 pounds more weight per tire. 

java230
java230 UltraDork
5/24/19 1:00 p.m.

somehow I missed this thread! Great buy, carry on :)

My Onan's fuel pump wiring died mysteriously, try jumpering power straight to the pump before you replace it.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
5/25/19 5:36 a.m.

Set up at CMP for the SCCA Time Trial national tour. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
5/27/19 11:05 a.m.

The Beast did very well all weekend. 

It was super hot and a air conditioned place to cool off was worth every drop of fuel it took to get it up there. Not to mention not having to a hotel after the Friday and Saturday evening festivities. 

I haven't filled it back up so I don't know what the fuel economy was yet. 

I strapped two of my Honda generators to a hitch carrier so I could run the roof top A/C on the trip up and back. That worked OK at best. Better than nothing but not exactly cold inside. Fixing the dash A/C will be a priority now.

It has two roof A/C units. Due to the 30 amp service, you can only run one of them at a time. There is a switch to choose which one you want to run. At CMP there are 20 and 30 amp plugs on every pole. I'm probably going to do a little creative wiring so I can run both units while at the track. With the RV sitting in full sun on a 99 degree day, one a/c almost won't keep up. It would be fairly easy to get both units running. One on the 30 amp RV service, one on a separate 20 amp cord. That goes on the list as well.

I was a little worried about engine temps as hot as it was but they stayed rock solid for the entire trip. It has also used almost no oil since I serviced it. Initially it had a valve cover that looked like it was leaking. I checked the torque on the cover bolts and that seems to have stopped it. 

TJL
TJL Reader
5/27/19 11:57 a.m.

Your not convincing me to NOT look for one of these. Looks like a great setup. 

I dont see why you couldnt use some sort of switch box to separate the roof A/C’s from the rest of the system safely so you can run them both. Maybe something like a home generator transfer switch. 

1 2 3 4
Our Preferred Partners
c8MTIhVD7oIt5iHcFFLRGMkcVJy50JGxybZY18I9tsbU1Y9DLiDcNWkwswYaeCl4