1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/4/21 3:41 p.m.

In reply to 2Girlsracing (Steffi) :

I checked out the vids on bookface. The car sounds great. Also, handbrake parking.

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
2Girlsracing (Steffi) New Reader
1/9/21 9:34 p.m.

They don't like me using the handbrake on track, strict no drifting rules......

In other news we got locked down for three days, lots of youtube and some partner encouragement and we ended up downloading a set of plans for a cross kart. Oops!

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
1/19/21 3:18 a.m.

While I wait for the season to start and I've spent hours going through the crosskart plans we decided it was time to get moving...... So a buttload of laser cutting ordered from my local with the pdf's that come with the plans, some more sticks of rollcage tube delivered today and to top it all off went and organised a CBR1100xx super blackbird motor with all the bits to make it run with the factory fuel injection. Should be a sprightly little thing!

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/19/21 5:45 a.m.

nice devil

Will you be able to use the buggy at your khanacrosses? 

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
1/19/21 5:46 p.m.

It will be legal for hillclimb and i would assume khana. My partner and son will be driving it although i may restrict the throttle a bit to start with

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/19/21 8:35 p.m.

That's pretty awesome.  I'll look forward to seeing it come together.

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
1/21/21 3:50 a.m.

flatpack crosskart kit..... just add allen key right??

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
1/23/21 12:45 a.m.

Day one, picked up motor and associated gubbins to make it go, plenty of daytime left so started on the frame. Took me a bit to remember all the bending tricks but after some messing around we got there! 

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
1/23/21 12:46 a.m.

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
1/23/21 10:16 p.m.

Day two and the engine section is on and tacked, and everything is square so that's  a bonus! Also bent up the main roll hoop but due to destroying my holesaw in the notcher I cant attach it yet. 

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
1/25/21 10:05 p.m.

Public holiday in Aus and more progress!

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
1/30/21 9:44 p.m.

That's all the bending completed, now it's just notch and weld, notch and weld....

Liberated the motor from the frame so just had to give it a test fit!

And some reprobates hanging around my garage!

Now that the bike frame is free I can use it to build a negative jig thingy to save me having to muscle the motor around, now i know the stock exhaust will work and I don't need to run it around the sides of the engine.

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
1/31/21 11:05 p.m.

Always nice when the laser cutting fairies turn up with a new jigsaw puzzle!

2/1/21 12:44 p.m.

Looks really good.  My jam, for sure.

What's the source for uprights, hubs, and such?  A donor car or something different?

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
2/1/21 10:44 p.m.

Everything suspension wise is fabricated from scratch apart from shocks and rear drive shafts which are Bmw e34. My lathe will be getting a workout on the chrome moly rear axle centre for sure! Went and bought some big girl turning tools for that one!

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
2/3/21 12:47 a.m.

Someone on here once said if you've got ten minutes then do a ten minute job, thankyou!

over the last few afternoons I have managed some garage time doing the ten and twenty minutes, one tube at a time until we reached this point. I needed these in to mount the motor in it's home and have something to measure from.  

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
2/4/21 2:12 a.m.

More bars than a jail cell!!

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
2/5/21 4:50 a.m.

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
2/15/21 5:01 a.m.

So a silly little accident at work where I literally tripped over and landed on my left wrist left me unable to drive at speed and not very productive on the tools. That left my partner to drive the begginers event but I couldn't run the test and tune in the Barina..... step up some ringers in the beginner event who were instructing on track to set up my suspension for me. 

So after sending three of the guys i race against out in the passenger seat with her we had it mostly dialled in and she could start setting some times. Did really well learning the correct lines around the track and speed is definitely coming, ended the day running the same sort of times as I did my first event. She also used to ride spotsbikes on track as an instructor so I have every confidence she'll probably run as quick or quicker than me.

Next event is the first round of the club championship for the year in three weeks and I am pumped to get back in the car!

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
2/18/21 1:36 a.m.

Tube notcher is fixed and wrist is improving so back at it!

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/18/21 8:06 a.m.

sorry to hear about the wrist, that sucks. It's fun to see the progress with the pic in the same spot every time. 

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
2/18/21 8:06 p.m.

Thankyou, that was the idea, eventually I'll make it into a slide show from beginning to end.

2/19/21 4:34 p.m.

Can you share some pics of your bender and notcher set-up?  Let's see behind the curtain!  Or maybe the garage door...

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
2/20/21 1:11 a.m.

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
2/20/21 1:32 a.m.

Bender is an Australian made copy of a JD2 type 2 bender, nice piece of kit but the dies are a little pricey!

Notcher is a $120aus so about $2.50us cheapy, exploded it the other day so had to make some new bits. The threaded adaptor got turned up out of a Kenworth bolt off the floor at work.

Shop dog for the photo bomb! She's a 110lb staffy cross wolfhound that keeps people from coming in my yard, my area has a few scumbags around so the extra security is always nice!

1 2 3 4 5 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CTn6xeG7ugYDe8b18ucBH7LORGJYWUFLb2Do5Wg7toKNMzj4eTuEHt6Whir2rsWU