solfly
solfly Dork
8/4/21 6:11 a.m.

always enjoy checking in on this, neat to see what you're doing with the Holden

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
2Girlsracing (Steffi) Reader
8/5/21 2:53 a.m.

Thanks for checking in!

Got the unpowered steering rack in today with new rack ends and boots, looked so good i had to give the bay a fresh squirt of paint and Kandy is looking much prettier. Should hear about my clutch tomorrow and hoping some other parts turn up for the weekend.

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
8/6/21 2:01 a.m.

so that's the mechanical water pump out of the block, put up a fight but the cold chisel showed it the way!

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
8/6/21 6:43 a.m.

I always enjoy these updates. We don't see a lot of small car builds in North America as frequently as we once did and I've always been a small car fan.

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
8/6/21 6:41 p.m.

Thanks Warren, glad you're enjoying it.

New cambelt arrived so cleaned up the motor and test fit with waterpump blanking plate.

Old setup

cleaned up with blanking plate

new belt and new path without waterpump. I do need to rework one of the idlers to make it a tensioner as well.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/6/21 7:23 p.m.

I like the custom block-off plate!

Did you just mess with different cam belts until you found the right length or is the water pump delete a pretty common mod?

How much weight you think you're taking out of the engine bay?

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
8/6/21 10:18 p.m.

Hi Scott, i got the belt length from a guy in the UK using the same motor who had done this mod originally, the block off plate I made in the lathe. 
The aluminum I used is actually the piece that gets cut out when we put spotlights holes in truck bumpers straight out of the scrap bin at work. It has an O ring groove on the backside to seal and the centre plug is a port for a temperature sender in case I add an electronic controller to the water pump. 
I actually weighed what I'd cut out and unbolted today and we're at 22lb's including the heater box under the dash.

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
8/7/21 11:59 p.m.

Needed to make a closing panel to fill in the holes in the plenum left by the heater box. Cue family arts and crafts time! Masking tape over the holes, fibreglass laid over the top, peel, trim and paint. Job done!

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
8/10/21 5:41 a.m.

Cam tensioner eccentric made. Grab a 24mm bolt and start machining. Diameter and length fit neatly into the old idler and gives me a hex to adjust tension on the belt. 

solfly
solfly Dork
8/10/21 7:09 a.m.

nice custom parts in these past few posts!

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
8/14/21 7:07 a.m.
solfly said:

nice custom parts in these past few posts!

Thankyou, not much available off the shelf in Australia so I do what I have to. If I was in the uk I could go off the shelf  carbon panels including roof, wide track and forged engine off the shelf. Pity about the exchange rate!

And now some scope creep. Wipers switched from factory two wiper setup to single wiper racecar spec using the original rear window wiper motor and arm saving 1.8kg or about 4lb's . Dash 8 fitting ready to weld to rocker cover at work on Monday (joys of being an aluminum welder) and new seals on the way for the motor so I don't have to pull it out again in a hurry. Gearbox was also stripped , inspected and resealed so it won't need work now until I put a Quaife atb diff in it, unless I get the full straight cut gear set for it......

Still waiting on my clutch guy so just doing everything else I can while the motor is out. More photos on the 2 girls racing bookface

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
8/15/21 6:49 a.m.

My son turned 16 the other week which means he could get his learners license and start driving on the road, to this end he picked up a 2000 something Mitsubishi Mirage (Colt) i think in American from a workmate of mine. It's a nice tidy little hatchback which bears a striking resemblance to the Evo 4 and the same front chassis. 
Yes there have been discussions of Evo driveline swaps. Given it dhares the same stud pattern as the Barina he very quickly claimed a set of my spare wheels and has been cleaning them up to repaint. First one got done today and for a first effort he's done a good job.

Primer

And topcoat. It has a nice blue tinge to it in the sun and looks great against the silver car. I'll throw some clear over them when he's finished all 4.

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
8/16/21 12:40 a.m.

Cam cover welded up with dash 8 fitting for the breather, guess I should make a catch can now. 

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
8/18/21 3:12 a.m.

Hit the easy button and ordered a catch can, hose and fittings along with a new rear main oil seal and cam cover gasket.

Clutch arriving friday, apparently they couldn't build what i asked for which is a ceramic button but instead have done a super heavy duty organic they claim will work with my 2nd gear 6.5k launches........ Time will tell. Not happy it took them four weeks to work it out. Did get a nice discount though so not going to scream too loud!

Once we dial up more power I will probably need to go to a bigger gearbox anyway, input shaft on my box is scary small as in less than 3/4 so I can't see it lasting which will need a bigger clutch again! 

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
8/22/21 5:29 a.m.

New clutch acquired, picked up friday, along with a genuine cam cover gasket as the one I received was rubbish and went straight in the bin. So a quick trip to the stealership and we were back in business.

So motor and gearbox back together, resealed and back in the engine bay, had a slight interference issue with the strut brace which was cut out and relieved, on with fitting all the other new goodies. New EWP is in with only one new piece of hose also.

tomorrow will include plenty of wiring jobs after I cut out the headlight loom to simplify it and re-route down the chassis leg instead of halfway across the bay. Catch can is also mounted in a slightly different position to my original plan so new hose fitting req'd which is another job for tomorrow.

Next club event is in two weeks so pressure is on!

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
8/26/21 5:11 a.m.

Lots of little jobs ticked off through the week culminating in firing it up today. Started straight up and all the mods seem to have worked, revs a little faster with the lighter flywheel and the new clutch doesn't seem any heavier than the original.

TVR Scott
8/26/21 10:03 a.m.

That's cleaning up really nicely.  Great work.

Where's the outlet go on your catch-can?

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
8/28/21 4:51 a.m.

Haha, straight at the ground at the moment, don't tell the epa! Future plans include a dry sump so the fitting in the Cam cover will get capped but I got tired of it blowing oily crap on my throttle body. 
Car is finished including string alignment and feels good. My partner is running an event next weekend so we'll see then what sort of difference it has all made to times.

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
8/29/21 2:44 a.m.

And ready to go racing next weekend. Last bolts tightened, cables zip tied and sponsor stickers applied. Lets go racing!

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
8/31/21 3:13 a.m.

Now to turn some 1" square bar into a negative jig thingie from the super blackbird frame to mount the engine in the cross kart, and remake the dash area to get the instruments lower because the drivers are both short and can't see over the instruments  and the steering wheel is to high, also because they're short.

And one is 5'6" and the other is 5'7" and still growing. And I refuse to mount the seat higher because they're the second heaviest part of the kart. As long as the steering rod clears the pedals and doesn't bind we're good to go!

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
9/2/21 1:50 a.m.

Ok, so set up the four jaw chuck on the lathe, cut some pieces of square bar to around the right length and centre drill and face off to exact length. Longer piece is drilled and tapped each end. 

And  bolt pieces into bike frame using all original hardware. 

Now to join them together, need to pickup the frame bracket under the bottom piece as it is an exhaust mount for the stock system we're using.

TVR Scott
9/2/21 7:16 a.m.

That looks like quite the nasty globby repair on the lower right side of that bike frame.  Or is it a bunch of dirt & grease built up there?

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
9/2/21 11:28 p.m.
TVR Scott said:

That looks like quite the nasty globby repair on the lower right side of that bike frame.  Or is it a bunch of dirt & grease built up there?

Chain grease, the frame is in really good condition with no gravel rash or anything so not sure why it got parted out at such low mileage 

TVR Scott
9/3/21 7:47 a.m.

In reply to 2Girlsracing (Steffi) :

Ok, that's good.  Easy to clean that up.

2Girlsracing (Steffi)
9/6/21 4:42 a.m.

Negative jig thingie complete! With tabs for the exhaust mounts so everything should bolt in like the factory. With a little luck I can add a couple bike mufflers to the existing exhaust and we'll be under noise regs. Now to get the motor into the right place in the chassis "make the noise" type deal.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gqtcM3HMZYwvwdHfhQvQkOIsncvg5lDhRHjItSjb9BrxaDiCNXJ7lU8rlQEtuKBj