1 2 3 4
tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
3/1/14 10:44 p.m.

The kids learned to improvise tonight. I made up some shock mounts out of some scrap sheet steel. Then Tunakids got to drive it around, albeit indoors, including a cool jump based on the toy box top. Here are is the R/C glory.

photo DSCN4938_zps3c646c1d.jpg

photo DSCN4937_zps65ed0347.jpg

And here is a shot of the modifications.

photo DSCN4939_zps98a8472e.jpg

Next time we'll fit the body and figure out the battery mount. We're very close now!

Thanks again everyone!

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
3/2/14 10:11 p.m.

I love when I can update both of my build threads on the same day.

I promised Tunakid #1 that he could work on the truck during rest time if he behaved. He did. I quickly threw on the body mount that I had fixed, and showed him how the body mounted. We didn't have any body clips, so we used some wire and twisted it around. I had two charged batteries and so I sent the kid outside.

He was out for about two minutes, on the verge of tears, he explained that something must be wrong. He was right, and he didn't even hit anything.

photo DSCN4953_zps963d3e71.jpg

Now, to set the scene, Tunawife was upstairs sewing for an Etsy order she needed to ship tomorrow, Tunakids #3 and #4 were sleeping... for now, and Tunakid #2 was bouncing around on the couch. I needed to get the chicken all cut up and in brine for dinner, so I hurriedly threw this together.

photo DSCN4954_zps1c9f331b.jpg

Yeah, it's ugly. Yeah, those nuts are literally on top of one another, but I had no room, nothing smaller than #4, and no time to get it "right", so I sent him on his way.

photo DSCN4951_zps5e8caeee.jpg

photo DSCN4952_zpsc6c1301e.jpg

photo DSCN4950_zps4c7e55b8.jpg

So that is the real glory shot. Now, I have to order a real knuckle, or spindle, or whatever they call that. The trouble is that I don't know what truck it's for. I also need a new body mount, because he decided that grabbing it by that pin and picking it up was a good idea. My repair did not stand up to that. We also need a better way to handle the battery, they don't quite fit in the tunnel, and some body pins.

All the same, we called this "delivered" for now, and I had him donate the $20 to the charity. http://dutchcountryanimalrescue.org/

As instructed by Jim. I think he began to understand what charity is like. That's a good lesson to learn. He went through each battery twice today and he loved every minute of it.

Thanks, guys!

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
3/3/14 9:20 a.m.

Alright, I figured out that the front end is Losi LXT. The rear track width is MUCH narrower, though, and the body mount looks unlike anything TA or losi made in that era. Hrm...

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
3/7/14 10:54 p.m.

The front end is NOT Losi LXT. That spindle is way too tall for the carrier.

Poor kid. Tonight I sanded it down to make it "fit", spaced up the rear suspension so the battery could fit, routed the wires out of the way and cleaned up the suspension alignment.

He's on deck to bring it to school and show off this Thursday. I promise he'll be the coolest five year old in the world.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
3/7/14 11:01 p.m.

Front end appears to be JRxt

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
3/10/14 7:22 a.m.

OK folks, all of the batteries are dead now. I went ahead and bought some NIMH for the poor kid. I also adjusted the suspension for him to give a bit more ride height. He should be set for his show & tell at school this Thursday.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
3/13/14 12:30 p.m.

The new batteries came. One lasted 20 minutes and one didn't even move the car after being charged. Obviously I have some learnin' to do, but he did impress his class.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/13/14 2:10 p.m.

Tuna, great work! I remember working on R/C cars with my Dad and had a great time doing that and racing them with the local clubs. We even used postal scales to corner weight the cars, a great learning experience to say the least.

Speaking of which, I have some old R/C car stuff that I'm trying to find a place to land, check it out and let me know if you're interested:

http://s148.photobucket.com/user/fiat22turbo/library/eBay/RC_Cars

Specifically, a repair stand, the Futaba PCM radio w/receiver, some new Associated racing shocks with spring assortments, various electric motors, plus a few new bodies (Baja Bug, Trophy Truck, Dodge Sidewinder). Let me know, I can toss it in a box and send it your way.

I already listed the complete cars/chassis I have on eBay or I'd have offered those up as possible spares for the kiddo's rig.

Have fun!

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
3/13/14 3:37 p.m.

In reply to turboswede:

Anything you can add would be added to the parts pile. I have three sons, and each of them will want something along these lines someday. I am already a bit overwhelmed by the generosity of the forum members, so don't feel obligated. I have had a blast working on this with the kids, though.

FYI to all: The NiCads all died, and Dan and Jim have both recommended that I sell the chargers they donated on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331150200902?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I'll put the other one up in a few days.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
3/15/14 7:20 p.m.

ok, folks. This is a cry for help.

HELP!!!

Could you hear that? I am crying. The last NiCad battery started acting funny, only lasting a few minutes before cutting out and not always wanting to go within that few minutes. Since they are a decade or more old and NiCads, I called it quits and bought some Duratrax Onyx 4200 NiMH and a Tenergy charger for about $100 all-in. I figured it was the price I paid for the kiddo to have 20-30 minutes of solid run time on a battery.

Well, he gets about five. Not only that, but the truck doesn't seem to actually want to go for the first few minutes after you plug it in. I checked and wiggled all connections, the LED on the speed control goes to green under throttle, the throttle trim is set. The motor is getting too hot to touch during backyard thrashing for five minutes, and the speed control remains very cool.

Background is that the speed control (Tekin TSC G-12) has a "set" switch. When depressed, the LED blinks. You have a few seconds to go full throttle and then full brake while it blinks, and then it stores those end points and uses them to build a map. The button doesn't work on this speed control. After trying a few times without messing with it and finding no brake, I unscrewed the lid and manually shorted the right pins on the switch to make it blink. When I did that, the LED blinked and the calibration worked as designed, but still no brake. This makes me now suspect the speed control.

What say you?

Thanks guys

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
3/15/14 8:15 p.m.

Motor. The stock can motor appears to be dead as the 12T and one of the other stockers work fine.

None of the stockers have capacitors, I am not sure if it matters.

nhmercracer
nhmercracer New Reader
3/15/14 9:17 p.m.

Caps should not matter. They are to suppress interference.

nhmercracer
nhmercracer New Reader
3/15/14 9:18 p.m.

it's been over 25 years since I messed with RC. Is that ESC rated for 12T motors?

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
3/15/14 9:23 p.m.

The ESC was the one that came when Jim was running the 12T. I switched to a stocker (27T) when he got it. I swapped back to the working stoker for the sake of Tunaife's ankles. It seems fine to me, 8 min in a barely lit street full throttle back and forth and no degradation of power. He'll thrash it tomorrow to be sure.

t25torx
t25torx Reader
3/15/14 9:44 p.m.

I'd say it's time for a new ESC! This looks like a good deal while it's on sale Link to ESC. Plus it will give you the option of going LiPo in the future. And if you do ever go LiPo check out the ones here first, hobbypartz.com. I've been running the Gens Ace in all my cars and trucks and have been very please with them, way cheaper than anything else on the market. Good luck man!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
11/30/17 12:48 p.m.

Remember this?

He played with it a bit more and I think the ESC has finally bit the dust. No big deal, it was a super generous gift anyway and it lasted a long time.

The thing is that I go on ebay to look for a cheap used unit as a replacement, and I see these things:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4370KV-9T-Brushless-Motor-60A-ESC-Controller-Combo-ME720-For-RC-Model-1-10-Car/322792469828?hash=item4b27ee3544:g:AE0AAOSwWr5ZzgIe

Everywhere.

That's cheaper than the ESC for the normal brushed motor, and he's old enough that the power would be fun until he breaks gears. Are they really good at that price point? I seems too good to be true.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/30/17 1:22 p.m.

It's, Chinese. I generally only buy castle stuff....but I'm a snob like that. The only good Chinese stuff I've ever heard of was hobbywing.  A bunch of the driftersI knew ran those. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/30/17 1:25 p.m.
wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/30/17 7:03 p.m.
tuna55 said:

Remember this?

He played with it a bit more and I think the ESC has finally bit the dust. No big deal, it was a super generous gift anyway and it lasted a long time.

The thing is that I go on ebay to look for a cheap used unit as a replacement, and I see these things:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4370KV-9T-Brushless-Motor-60A-ESC-Controller-Combo-ME720-For-RC-Model-1-10-Car/322792469828?hash=item4b27ee3544:g:AE0AAOSwWr5ZzgIe

Everywhere.

That's cheaper than the ESC for the normal brushed motor, and he's old enough that the power would be fun until he breaks gears. Are they really good at that price point? I seems too good to be true.

If you thought a 12t was fast, a 9t brushless is omgbbq fast.  Look for a 17t or higher.

I am.suspiciois that the motor you have has bad brushes or springs.  Swap them with the 12t motor and see if the car works again.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
11/30/17 9:46 p.m.

Stop the presses!

It's OK. Not great but OK. The ESC is indeed damaged as the programming functionality is not good, but that said, it's OK now. I found that he had plugged in the battery backwards. When we reversed the, she wouldn't chooch, so I assumed he fried the ESC. I asked him to charge another battery and try it today, and she's back, so he either killed the battery or it just drained itself when it was backwards.

So we're OK for now.

Thanks!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/2/17 10:48 p.m.

I still think you should put a mamba in it  

09Unwound
09Unwound New Reader
6/3/23 8:02 p.m.

Tuna kid 1 here. My first rc car was a hassle I see.  Thanks to you all for helping me get into this great hobby. I recently got a traxxas slash 2wd an I am upgrading it by raising it newer bigger wheels and tires of course with appropriate gearing. An I am converting it to brushless getting lights and powerful batteries. I gave my dad a Arrma granite 4x2 for a early Father's Day gift. And I am really getting back into this hobby.

-tunakid1

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
6/4/23 10:08 a.m.

In reply to 09Unwound :

Thanks for the update! Here I was expecting to see a bot resurrecting this thread and instead am pleasantly surprised.

09Unwound
09Unwound New Reader
6/4/23 6:36 p.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke : Hahaha yes. I'm very glad I got a job and am able to pay for all this.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/4/23 8:00 p.m.

Wait, tunakid 1 has a job?  I've been here too long.  Dang, I'm old.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RT9UVgICC09vIlIhRN0KlSE5AqejWeBLoS1anTiPDxINasRhCskMo8CkUbpR9Xtz