1 2 3 4 5 6
Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
4/15/20 10:46 p.m.

So, I started the evening with trying to move the line.  It, we, well....

so that didnt go too well.  I'll probably cut it and make the flex line longer.   I did this to try to cut some weight.  So I guess I'll add in that extra pound or so.

After I completely fubared that one, I went ahead and touch something I've been a little scared of.  I pulled all the fuel components from the rear most point of the "trunk" and moved it to the rear firewall.  To start I dropped off the "diffuser".  That's another on the list of things to do.  

once out of the way, it was a lot easier to get to what I needed.  I need a couple of U bends or so for the fuel pump, and some more for the inlet.  Overall, I think this will work great.  

I did check and the dry sump will drop in nicely into the newly cleared area.  

One more thing, I went ahead and looked back at the engine.  I'm thinking that I need to just move the alternator from the passenger side *this is America, so on the right* and put it above the water pump.  I'll need to extend wires, but otherwise it sounds like the best option.  I think that I can get that laid out on the engine stand.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
4/18/20 9:34 p.m.

I didn't "DO" work on the car today.  I did remember something my buddy said.  The shop he has, The Awesome Shop USA, has a plasma table.  I called him up and chatted a bit.  I took the upper pan over to them and dropped it off to make a lower dry sump pan.

Ill have to get a couple other things over, but, I think I I can get all the drive pulley setup done too.  So hopefully soon I can get that all redone.

I did hook up the trailer and pull it out of the garage.  I did that since I picked up some cabinets from an auction of a closed grocery store.   The twins helped move all the saw blades, sand paper, and grinding discs to this after the wife helped  pull out the cabinets.  Not too terrible for $7.

Im sure it's tough to tell, but it is much more organized in here and cleaner.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/18/20 10:38 p.m.

I don't think 6061 likes to be bent. Is there a 5xxx series you can get?

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
4/18/20 10:41 p.m.

In reply to SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) :

Probably, the single bend worked well.  It was the "trying to fix my ineptness" that made it fail.  

I have -12 tubing I can run, but was trying to save a little weight in the car.  So for now, I may just put that in to get it all set and ready to run like that.  Hopefully, I can get this stuff setup and then work to rebuild the pump. *its used and just want to give it a once over before I say go to it.* and get this thing together.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/18/20 10:45 p.m.

Try inking it with Sharpie, and heating it with a Bernzomatic until the Sharpie burns off. Let it cool slowly.  This should soften the metal enough to bend, but you should probably re-ink/heat/cool every so often, as the 6061 is likely going to work harden on you.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
4/18/20 10:55 p.m.

In reply to SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) :

This may be at least slightly close to the way the failure happened....  though, I may have tried to work a little too soon. 

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
4/24/20 8:34 a.m.

Slowly, slowly, slowy.....

I pulled the alternator off the engine and sat the dry sump on the engine.  It looks like I need to flip the mounting bracket to use that.  I have been meaning to check out the internals of the pump too.  So, let's look!

Most of this looks ok, I was trying to figure out the little "T" cuts on the intermediate pieces, to see if there was a reason for it.  Then I picked up the front mounting piece.  Being the scavenge stage, you get this: *See next post*

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
4/24/20 8:40 a.m.

Doing the layout in my head, this would flip the inlet and outlet. BUT, I cant without swapping the way the belt turns.  I.E. not worth it to do.

The only really bad spot is on one of the scavenge housings.

I could sand this down, but I think it would make sense to just go ahead and replace this one.

Ill call up SPC today.  I have the pulleys for this now, getting the crank side adapter done.  So I need to figure out mounting so I can get this done when I get the pan and pulley setup back.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
4/28/20 9:17 p.m.

As many saw, I got another project/toy.  And really, this isn't much of an update on the Birkin.  Though, I feel as though I should show something.

The other night my slightly OCD buddy made a comment he would help sort my garage.  I sent him a message last night and told him to come over today.

I have a lot of things all over, and needed to just clean and put things away.  I'll just go ahead and put up some pics.  Hopefully, by end of the week I can go back to finishing the car prep for dry sump and get the engine accessories sorted.

also, cause we moved it over and I think it looks awesome already....

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
4/29/20 12:23 p.m.

Just got a delivery....

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/29/20 12:36 p.m.

Those parts look better. And they say Stock Car on the packaging, so they must be good. 

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
4/29/20 1:17 p.m.

You know it will be fast, thats like NASCAR stuff going in!

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
4/29/20 1:25 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Those parts look better. And they say Stock Car on the packaging, so they must be good. 

So, would those then be...

(yeah, I'll show myself to the door)

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
4/30/20 10:29 p.m.

I actually did something this eve.  So here is the area I am trying to fit the alternator into.

I have just a small amount of room.  The water pump will get blanked and an electric pump will go in front of the engine off the rad.  The frame is about 10" above the engine mount. Not a lot of room in here.

This is what it looks like where I plan to put it.

I have to be careful, it may touch the header.  I also will probably need to wrap the electric wires to help save those too.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
5/1/20 11:17 p.m.

A little something done.

I got in some adapters for the oil filter relocation.  
I still have the 10an adapters coming in for this.

Also, I did measurements on the alternator.  I may have found a slightly smaller mini one on Amazon.  So, I went ahead and ordered it.  Hopefully, this will be that little extra bit room to fit it into area.  

I did get the pump ready, I dipped the pieces after cleaning solution and will need to make sure no dust is left inside.  If I can get a chance this weekend, I hope to have this all back together and ready to play with mounting.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
5/3/20 8:58 p.m.

Got the fuel pump attached.

Also, since I will need to have the break to make the covers for oil lines, I converted my sweet little free bandsaw chip saw piece to have a 1/4" foot.  Now I can cut the c channel to use in the break.

So still making progress.. slowly.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
5/5/20 7:58 p.m.

So, have you ever looked at a part and just said, yea that should work.  I kinda did that.

I said I ordered the alternator, and it came in.  This came with a v-belt pulley.  Luckily, it had the same thread and size on the pulley bolt.  There is a small issue. The 6 rib pulley going on has .010" larger pulley than the inset on the alternator.  So, I guess Ill have to string that up and figure out how to trim that much off. 

Good news is that I have a 15+ year old benchtop drill press from harbor freight.  Some old vises, files......another words, no lathes or anything to really be useable.  I guess chalk this one up to a legit need I could have for a lathe.

I have moved my home office though. 

I even got it fairly climate controlled...

Maybe in between calls and handling things I can figure this pulley out tomorrow.

In reply to Thinkkker :

I was looking at the race seat on the wall wondering how you could possibly spend the whole day up there working. Then I scrolled down & saw the relatively(to the pic) small laptop on the bench & the nearby stool...

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
5/5/20 9:26 p.m.

The stool was brought in today.  Wife found it on Letgo for $10.  Worth it.

Thats teh other seat that matched the seat in this car before I split 3" out of the middle of it.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
5/6/20 9:08 a.m.

So far, so good

and realized I was off by a factor of 10, so .11 difference in OD of the pulley.  

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
5/6/20 11:25 a.m.

So, I was right in both posts.  I just measured different things. 

The new alternator has a "ID" where the pulley falls into measurement of 1.170".  The v-belt pulley off this has a measurement in this area of 1.070".  The pulley which was on the other alternator and 6-rib, 1.180". 

Once I actually found the appropriate file to use, it went well.  I have it sitting about 1.145" on that measurement.  I popped the pulley on and it seems to rotate just fine now.

So, to figure out how to make this thing fit the engine......

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
5/6/20 8:51 p.m.

I am anxiously awaiting the spool gun I ordered.  

So, I started out with some small steel strap.  I bent a u-shape to fit the alternator.  I got this bent and the. Looked over and saw the stack of scrap aluminum from other projects I had.  I ordered the spool gun a few weeks back and looked, it's in TX.  So I should have it soon.  

Now, I had a plan.  Bringing in some 1.5" angle, I split it to make a mount for the alternator.  Then measured out for a 1" square tube.  

I needed to get a extra brace from the bottom.  Luckily, there is an alternator pump bolt there.  

now these fall together well.  Cut up the top one to make it look prettier.

There we go, I'll cut on that blue line and cap it to strengthen it a bit too.  

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
5/6/20 8:55 p.m.

To try to lay this out properly, I used another scrap tube as a straight edge.  The other piece hanging is a alternator bracket from a 73 Ford.  

I need to hard mount this I feel before I move forward with that part.  

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
5/9/20 7:19 p.m.

I think this will work.

I already ordered a belt, should be 33".  I have to weld the bracketry, and may need to adjust the "tensioner" bracket.  I figure though, that if there is an air space between the alternator and the exhaust that's good.

I preemptively put the pump together.  It's not "really" together, but I need to make a bracket!  Again though I'm waiting on some stuff.  I have the adapter for the pulley for spacing, which can be dealt with.  I also need to have the spool gun in to attach things.  Maybe.  As I typed I had an idea, but will need to go get some measurements to confirm.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
5/12/20 1:56 p.m.

We can do some progressing now.....

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7IXroGAHh0xYQhJUQtdl5Z5YB3yEDAWmvn1Qio8hREing5c8VOu9l7gs0RiZJqTi