1 2 3 4
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/4/21 2:33 p.m.

Had the wheels off today to get them balanced.  Took a close look at everything underneath and found some stuff I'm going to have to deal with.  In no particular order:

Gotta play with my truck's butt

Spring perches are virtually gone - Both sides

Rear sway bar mount bushings.  Probably should do the front as well while I'm in there, but they didn't look bad.
Hard to see here, but the backside of this bushing is gone so it's kinda floppy.  Passenger side is a bit better, but still sad

Maybe poke at rerouting this brake line some, but there appears to be no rubbing?  Rear brakes don't really do E36 M3 on a truck anyways

And the dreaded tin worm has started to make a home.  Right around the screw in the first pic, you can see daylight through it if there's a light source

Passenger side looks a bit better, you can't see through it at least

Mr_Asa
12/4/21 2:51 p.m.

Oh yeah, and the body mounts are surprisingly good, all except the front-most ones.  Those probably need to be replaced.  The rest look like I'd see on a 5-10 year old vehicle.  Weird

Thank you for your service and for sharing your journey with us.  Great read.

onemanarmy
onemanarmy Reader
12/7/21 1:07 p.m.

Yes....quite a good read.

So what happened when those mark dots weren't lined up?  Was the motor back in the truck and spun over before you found the mis-match?

Mr_Asa
1/6/22 6:14 p.m.
onemanarmy said:

Yes....quite a good read.

So what happened when those mark dots weren't lined up?  Was the motor back in the truck and spun over before you found the mis-match?

Was gonna post a random update.  Saw this.

Basically my cam timing was ~45 degrees off from the stroke.  This could create an issue with most engines, but this engine has over half an inch of valve lift clearance before it even comes close to hitting flat top pistons, which these are not.  So basically it would just kinda try and pop off once or twice, then it wouldn't do anything.  I spent about a month trying to diagnose why it wouldn't start.  That month eventually caused me to start seeing someone for mental health issues (they were already present, but that month showed how bad they were)

Mr_Asa
1/6/22 6:15 p.m.

So, truck did a thing, unfortunately I wasn't paying attention and missed the big number change.  You'll note that there isn't a check engine light on.  I promise to have the full dash on for the next big number.

Also, more free aluminum.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps SuperDork
1/6/22 10:04 p.m.

Great read! Thanks for your service, and for taking the time to post this and update it as you have.

BBC

rothwem
rothwem Reader
1/21/22 12:14 p.m.

Man, you've got really bad luck for getting hit!  This poor truck must have a bullseye painted on it or something.

Mr_Asa
1/21/22 12:30 p.m.
grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/21/22 9:23 p.m.

Given the number of times this thing has been rear ended- was the brake upgrade necessary? All kidding aside, awesome thread. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/21/22 9:28 p.m.

Thanks for the update, I've really enjoyed this thread. 

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
1/21/22 10:00 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
Stampie (FS) said:

That makes me miss my AF days also. 

Bill Murray GIF by Groundhog Day

Not sure what I missed.  12 years AF, walked away in 2000 and haven't given it much thought since.

Mr_Asa
7/3/22 2:50 p.m.

The Ritual Happening Approaches!  PRAISE FORD!

The Priest dons the holy vestments.

He sweeps the altar, then washes it of previous sins so that the Wheels of Steel might turn true.

To drive off the demons, the Flame is brought to bear upon the Sanctuary Torches!  HAIL FORD! RECTUS DOMINUS!

The Priest annoits himself in the holy oils!

HARK! THE BRINGER APPROACHES! He who brings The Sacrifice!

The Sacrifice!

The Sacrifice is shackled and restrained as The Vessel watches in anticipation!

The Priest begins to remove The Sacrifice's adornments in preparation for The Happening

First is the Most Hated.  The Priest is free to do as He wishes, for the Most Hated is to be discarded with extreme prejudice.

The Most Hated will be cast into The Fire, reformed into something useful.

The Priest continues to remove adornments, he finds sins of the past in the Sacrifice.  These sins must be purged for the good of The Vessel!

Great is the wrath of The Priest at the sins.  This hole must hold against the tides but it has no strength!

The Priest continues to remove the adornments of The Sacrifice.

The Priest cleanses The Sacrifice of its lightest sins.  

With The Sacrifice cleaned, The Priest begins to examine the body of The Sacrifice.

A common sin of The Sacrifice's people is revealed.  The many cycles of hot and cold stress the body and the extreme ends cannot take the strain.

The Ugga and the Dugga was not enough to remove the bolts, so The Priest brought out the Pipe of Many Uses

Great was the sadness of The Priest when he saw the status of the gasket for The Sacrifice had lived a hard life, but joyful was his heart as The Sacrifice would be brought back more easily

The clouds begin to cover the sky, so The Priest adjourns for the day and will return to inspect the inside of The Sacrifice.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/3/22 3:52 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

That's a sexy Suburban that delivered your engine.

Mr_Asa
7/3/22 5:13 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

That's a sexy Suburban that delivered your engine.

Tho the Bringer's Vessel is not blessed by The Maker, it is appropriate for its use and thus gains beauty.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/3/22 6:59 p.m.

That was the best post i have read in a loong time

Thanks!!

Mr_Asa
7/10/22 3:11 p.m.

Ace Ventura Pet Detective GIF - Ace Ventura Pet Detective Fit GIFs

More evidence of bad coolant procedures

I just liked these.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/27/23 3:57 p.m.

Block pick up day.  Start her up and greeted with this.  Its a good sign, I'm sure.  Just gotta cross the Skyway Bridge like this.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
1/27/23 7:11 p.m.

Um... that seems like you might need to get the engine rebuild moving along. 

This does further my want of a short box ford (probably earlier sealed head light version). So simple, so solid. Too bad Missouri ruins everything.

Mr_Asa
1/27/23 8:23 p.m.

2013 Mtv Movie Awards Celebs GIF

As a youth I was in the advanced classes.  I've always read above my education level, and have almost always been well read.  If I remember correctly I got within 10-20 points of maxing out the English portion of the SAT and did max out the English portion of the ACT section.  Not only am I versed in language, but I am privy to the secrets of the sine and cosine.  I can differentiate a function with the best of them.  I am a learn'ed man.  I got my letters, as they used to say. 
I don't say these things to put on airs, I don't say these things to puff myself up.  I say these things to give some context to what I'm about to say.

I can't put into words what this feels like.
I've... been in a hole for a while, I think.  I've been stuck like an animal in a cage or a trap, and like a bound beast I've been frantically trying to escape.  I haven't seen any way out (well, I have, but its going to take some time); then today I picked up my engine block and rotating assembly.  

I think you folk, and maybe some others will understand what exactly that can mean to someone.  My best man from my wedding might get it, but I know my groomsmen wouldn't, most of my friends from most of the stages of my life wouldn't.

I can't properly explain the weight that is gone.  I see a light at the end, and for once I know the tunnel isn't on fire.  I still have a lot to do, but I'm no longer drowning.  True, I am at the end of a fairly long lifeline, but I've got a grip on it for once. 
To misquote one of my favorite authors: I no longer feel like a drifting ship. Now I feel the tug of the anchor, pulling me round to face the rising tide.

I've had a lot of help staying sane recently.  My family, especially my parents, have been of huge help.  However my family here has helped me stay grounded as well.  Stampie, John H, and John G have been central in their in person efforts, but just about everyone else that might read this has helped me struggle through as well.  The Suddard family for hosting the forums and the Challenge.  Bill for the NYG and allowing all of us here to reach out and help others in eastern Europe that really need help.  Anyone and everyone with a build thread right now has helped distract me with their work.  Countless others that I can't think of right now.

Thank you.  Thank you for helping keep me sane during a fairly trying time in my life.  I think I can start to shoulder the load again, but even if I can't I know you'll be there to help me again.

Mr_Asa
1/27/23 8:27 p.m.
singleslammer said:

Um... that seems like you might need to get the engine rebuild moving along. 

This does further my want of a short box ford (probably earlier sealed head light version). So simple, so solid. Too bad Missouri ruins everything.

Nah, just the sender being flaky.  This was later during that drive.

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
1/27/23 9:04 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Dude...fistbump from up yonder on the previous post.   On the oil pressure gauge, LOL. (You trolled us!!! laugh)

Edited to add:  One of the best tow vehicles I ever borrowed in my young and poor days was a good friends ‘88 F150 with a fuel injected 300 inline 6 and a 5 speed stick.  Work truck version, no frills but it pulled my 19 foot boat effortlessly and got close to 26 MPG on the 150 mile return trip with the empty trailer.  Please carry on. 

Mr_Asa
1/27/23 9:24 p.m.
11GTCS said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

On the oil pressure gauge, LOL. (You trolled us!!! laugh)

Nah, was 100% concerned at one point.  Stopped, got a quart of Lucas oil honey, checked all I could, all that fun stuff.

Its how the original engine died.  Slowly lost pressure on a road trip, had bad flashbacks

Mr_Asa
2/11/23 3:19 p.m.

Crap.  I just remembered one of the threaded holes for the water pump is stripped.

Thoughts?  I hate traditional heli-coils.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/11/23 3:22 p.m.

Bigger bolt, drill and tap?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aXJzC3i4E9ALp9Ocds7a1D36Ussfwt4TCo0jR3UOAcWXjCm96WKemgDtozeOmpts