1 2 3 4 5 ... 15
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/18 7:59 p.m.

Wow, that looks really solid!

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
12/19/18 8:06 p.m.

Hell yeah! I love those things. My dad recently bought back the 57 that he had when he was in high school. 

wawazat
wawazat Reader
12/19/18 8:07 p.m.

Very nice!

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/18 8:11 p.m.

It’s been sitting for 30+ years.  I’m not sure how survived the original 6 cylinder is, and i’m not intending to find out.  I’ve had a 235, they are 18 second 0-60 slow, quite literally.  I sold the original rebuilt one from my 54 for $400 and it cost over $1200 to rebuild.    Having an original 6 isn’t really a feature, and i’m not a restore it guy.  I do want to preserve it, but it’s been tapped light in the RF and came with another entire front end that’s been blasted and primed, 30+ years ago, and they’re only original once.  

Check out these new shocks

So in addition to the front sheetmetal there is a 2nd trunklid, complete 2nd set of trim, 2 extra rear windows, extra quarter glass, 3 bins of parts, buckets of parts, supposedly there are extra doors hiding somewhere, 2 new sets of harbor freight wheel dollies.  The only pieces missing are the grill and front bumper, that were stolen somewhere along the line from where it was stored.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/18 8:14 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I drove a 12:1 496-engined '56 for a while while doing musical weights and springs in the 700-R4's governor, dialing in the WOT shift points.  Certainly not 18 seconds to 60.

The pictures of the car look WAY better than your description!  I was expecting something that had no panel left unbeaten.

Racingsnake
Racingsnake New Reader
12/19/18 8:14 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

57s look best with no front bumper anyway...

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/19/18 8:16 p.m.

I have a stiffy.

Please leave it that strange purplish color.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/19/18 8:18 p.m.

What color was it? 

Looks mauve but that could also be due to fading

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
12/19/18 8:42 p.m.

Looks like some raccoon poo on top of the right rear quarter.  smiley

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
12/19/18 8:44 p.m.
John Welsh said:

What color was it? 

Looks mauve but that could also be due to fading

I think it's a very faded Dusk Pearl.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
12/19/18 9:03 p.m.

SCORE!!!!!!

Patrick
12/19/18 9:03 p.m.

I do believe it’s dusk pearl.  Everything is surreal right now.  I’m looking at the pictures still not believing it’s coming to my house.  We were eating dinner in the truck when Brit showed up, she got stuck in traffic and the wait was killing me.  

I can not stress enough that Carli is awesome.  I just kept handing down parts and bins from the attic, and she and Brittany kept grabbing them from me, both dressed in their professional work clothes.  Colin and Abby ran around the attic like nuts, but when it came time to get the fenders and glass down Colin did awesome, feeding me heavy things while I stood on the attic ladder.  

We have the inner and outer fenders, core support, front splash panel, the wheel dollies, a bin of trim, and a couple little bits in the truck.  Filled the trunk of the car with bins and buckets, put the side glass and trim inside, and headed home.  Will have to get the hood and trunklid in the next load as well as take blankets galore for the rear windows.  

I’m anticipating going to get the rest including the car on the 26th if my buddy with the rollback isn’t busy.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/19/18 9:49 p.m.

Old survivors have so much charm and soul.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/19/18 11:21 p.m.
Knurled. said:

I am prepared to administer an Internet Nut-Punch to the first person who says OMGZ LS SWAP LOL.  (Patrick excepted, of course, it's his car after all)

You’re right a 5.0 Coyote would be better.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
12/20/18 1:26 a.m.

Man, trying to keep your project list and schedule straight is mind boggling.

Wartburg, Devin panhard, corvair, hell what is the list and statuses?

Mostly asked because I'm curious how the devin is going. Last I remember was discussions regarding front bodywork?

Wish I could do half what you are. Mad respect.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/20/18 3:53 a.m.
AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/20/18 6:30 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Dang, that’s even an i6 car!

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
12/20/18 6:53 a.m.

Suggest you keep it I6.

This I6:

2006 LL8 (Vortec 4200) engine in 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer.jpg

#LL8Lyfe

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/20/18 7:00 a.m.

57 was the pinnacle of the American fin. 

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/20/18 7:31 a.m.

Oh man, this build thread is going to be epic! 

Patrick
12/20/18 7:34 a.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

The Wartburg is at tear down for finish welding/painting and final assembly stage.  

Devin is in dry long term storage while I collect parts.  Jumper K Balls is trying to work some magic on collecting the front end from the guy who has it, because he went from willing to crate it for a fee and have it picked up by a freight company to not wanting to do so.  

Chevelle is pissing me off because i wish they had not hacked up the bodywork so bad.  I plan to make it run in the spring.  I’m anticipating making it drive then moving it to the harbor freight tent garage for bodywork to keep the sanding dust out of the garage.  I’m so deep I can’t back out.  I just had to see how bad the bubbles were under the vinyl top.....  I’ve been discouraged by the rust, and I think I’ll snap out of it when it moves under power again. 

The 57 throws a wrench into things, and something is going to be the odd one out.  I have resigned myself to the fact that it’s probably Darth Nader.  Realistically that car is a thousand man hours from being done my way, and I just am not willing to put that time in away from my family.  I have come to the realization that there wouldn’t be much of a post challenge life for it, once again I’ve shot myself in the foot with a 2 seat build when I have 2 kids that like to go for rides, and I’ve kinda fallen out of lust with it.  I have an LS swapped z car that’s capable at going fast in a straight line as well as turning, so I don’t need two like cars.  

The Corvair was supposed to be my gun to a knife fight win the challenge car, but that’s not a goal anymore.  I felt slighted, stupidly, after the 2016 challenge, and wanted to show up and win all 3 parts.  At this point I realize I had the wrong minions in my ear, and my sole goal is to build for me and have fun.  Getting a podium finish in 2017 reaffirmed my belief that I can build a winning challenge car, and that’s good enough for me.  I have nice welders and I don’t need trophies.  I’m not going to try and win an editorial exercise at the cost of missing my kids’ childhood.  I’d rather have fun with them than sweat concours points and be a miserable jerk.  

I’m not going to dive into anything, but I have almost nothing into the Corvair, and I could certainly use the c5 parts elsewhere.  It would pain me a little bit to never see it completed, as would it make me ill to see it finished by someone else, but I think sacrificing it at the opportunity to own this 57 is a no brainer in my eyes. This is literally THE CAR for me, when I was little all I ever wanted was a 2 door 57.  I had posters, magazines, I even had the folder with the Boyd Coddington Chezoom in my trapper keeper that I put the cars in I drew instead of paying attention in school.  

This is just me.  I have always been a 50’s chevy guy.  Other things catch my attention and they come and go, but this car is who I am at my core.  

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/20/18 7:34 a.m.

Im voting for cam class challenge car.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/20/18 9:10 a.m.

I'm voting for getting it home, standing back with a cup of coffee or six, and pondering what sort of final product will make you truly happy long term. There's not really a wrong answer with these. Restoration, hot rod, drop it on a lifted 4x4 Blazer frame, it's all been done and it's all cool in it's own way. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
12/20/18 9:28 a.m.

Nice. Is that a rare color? Don't think I've seen one that color before. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/20/18 9:28 a.m.
Patrick said:

...but this car is who I am at my core.  

We like who you are at the core!  

Another sample: 

http://www.superchevy.com/features/sucp-0907-1957-chevy-210/

1 2 3 4 5 ... 15

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Vdm23wiOlzgqZQxcSC7SYleMospbX4WHeZkmkEvehDLkMkwhQVWNXh9RmNZ4Q8Yz