1 2 3
Stanger2000
Stanger2000 Reader
12/4/18 11:05 a.m.

Does it have the factory duals?  If it does, me personally I'd leave the exhaust alone, if anything replace the stock mufflers with similarly sized Magnaflows or even Dynomax Ultra Flows for straight through or even the Super Turbos for a little more tone but keeping it tame.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
12/4/18 12:45 p.m.

In reply to Stanger2000 :

Factory duals.  It's got two mufflers and two resonators.  Not sure about farther up but I assume there are two cats and a crossover.  I don't mind it being quiet afterall.  I drive it pretty gentle on the throttle for the best fuel mileage anyway.  As long as I've still got the Corvette I don't need to make this thing sporty.  If I sell the Corvette then I'll reevaluate.  

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
12/4/18 2:09 p.m.

24 MPG.  I wouldn't mind better mileage but that's pretty good and I'm happy with it.  

In a two ton v8 land barge you better be! My GS450h hybrid weighed something similar and while it had a lot more power it didn't actually average any better than that in spite of being a v6 hybrid.. so I'd say you're doing really well. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/4/18 9:09 p.m.

24 mpg in a sled is money. You should be pleased.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
1/31/19 5:08 p.m.

Time for an update.  

I've driven up the icy road to Mt Bachelor a dozen times, took a roadtrip to Sacramento and towed my enclosed trailer a dozen times, even up and over the Cascades although not in the snow.  It does pretty well at everything.  Acceleration on ice isn't great, but studs would make the difference. 

In 3rd gear it seems to be at a good and happy RPM towing the trailer down the highway at 60 mph.  You can go 70 if you want.  It only downshifts to 2nd on really steep hills at about 45 mph and then you can accelerate back to 60.  Cruise control set to 60 pushes the gas pedal right to where it would have to downshift to 2nd, so that's pretty nice actually.  If the hill is steep and the speed drops off too much it just disconnects.  I like that.  I get 12 MPG according to the dash meter.  My tires are slightly smaller than stock so lets just call it 11 MPG.  That beats 8 MPG in the motorhome.  

The rear axle has a 4 link and Watts link.  There's a little rod attached to the Watts link to sense the height of the rear end and control the air bags.  This has an adjustment slot so I cranked it to maximum height.  It looks fine unloaded, the rear wheel gap is barely larger than the front wheel gap.  Hook up the trailer and it sags like crazy, the air compressor kicks on and airs it back up to where it was before attaching the trailer.  It's perfect.  

I air the tires up to the maximum cold pressure of 50 PSI when towing to help combat the sidewall flex. There is still some, probably because they aren't 10 ply load range E tires, they're soft snow tires.  This results in a little bit of yaw back and forth driving down the highway.  Something you can feel but you don't have to turn the steering wheel to correct.  In a crosswind the trailer gets blown around but the car doesn't .  A really gnarly crosswind would likely be uncomfortable.  I'm not sure if it would be bad enough to pull over and abort the trip.  We'll see.  

Pics from my road trip to Sacramento

Untitled by Petrolburner, on Flickr

This was the mileage at the end of the trip, around 1,000 miles.  

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
1/31/19 5:16 p.m.

I installed a 300 watt 8" powered sub unit from Rockford Fosgate.  It sounds good and fills in the lower end of the spectrum.  The trunk is so sound isolated that a lot of the sound is kept from reaching the cabin.  Perhaps there is a place I could cut a pass through but so far I haven't done anything.  

Here I parked in 7" of fresh snow that the resort didn't bother plowing overnight.  Then we got what you can see on the roof added to it while riding.  I actually had to dig a little and have my friend push on the trunk to get out.  Open diff woes.  

Big powder board is a 181 cm and it doesn't fit in the trunk.  

Keg fits in the front seat.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
1/31/19 5:18 p.m.

Christmas Valley sand dunes

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
1/31/19 5:56 p.m.

This is the best update i've seen in ages. yesyesyes

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
1/31/19 6:07 p.m.

So, the 24mpg on the dash is an average? If so, you’re doing better on the longer highway drives?

The only real sticking point for me has been the mpg. I’m giving my truck to my son and I need something that does significantly better than the 16 city  20 highway my 4x4 Sierra gets.

In my notes I have 16/23 for the Crown Vic. That’s like a 20mpg average. You’re getting 24?

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
2/1/19 12:38 a.m.
ebonyandivory said:

So, the 24mpg on the dash is an average? If so, you’re doing better on the longer highway drives?

The only real sticking point for me has been the mpg. I’m giving my truck to my son and I need something that does significantly better than the 16 city  20 highway my 4x4 Sierra gets.

In my notes I have 16/23 for the Crown Vic. That’s like a 20mpg average. You’re getting 24?

24 was on the road trip, mostly highway, some mountains, and some high speed.  Combined is probably 20-21.  I wouldn't call that significantly better than your truck.  It is probably significantly quieter and more comfortable.  wink

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
2/1/19 2:22 a.m.

You may want to get a pair of Auto Socks for that to help with the deep snow. I bought some, and put them on long enough to test them. I drove my 4wd truck into an unplowed parking lot (with about a foot of snow on it) in 2wd and intentionally got it stuck. Wouldn't go forward or back. I then installed the Auto Socks, and drove away. 

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
2/1/19 11:38 a.m.

I also wired in the backup camera while I was running the wires for the sub.  I think I did a really nice job with this part regarding location and tucking the wires away.  It's mounted up as high and as far back as it can be.  I can almost see the hitch ball.  It makes it really easy for hooking up the trailer.  It doesn't block the light for the license plate, and that light doesn't affect the vision of the camera either.  I got a non-infrared camera because the infrared camera I put on my Motovan was pretty washed out when combined with my bright reverse lights.  The reverse lighting and camera view is fine on the Town Car as it sits now.  

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/1/19 11:40 a.m.

Nice. If you ever want this thread moved to the Builds section, just let us know. 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
2/1/19 12:16 p.m.

In reply to Petrolburner :

No doubt about quieter and more comfortable. I kinda wish mpg wasn’t so vital to me because comfort and quiet aren’t issues for me.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
2/1/19 12:31 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Nice. If you ever want this thread moved to the Builds section, just let us know. 

That sounds like a better place for it, go ahead.  Thank you.  

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
2/1/19 12:35 p.m.

Trailer stuff:

The hitch was super easy to bolt up like every other Curt hitch I've installed.  The frame metal drilled surprisingly fast and I don't have high quality drill bits.  It came with some extra washers as shims, but I think it fit tight to my frame without any shims so I didn't use them.  I didn't want any extra leverage on those bolts. 

Trailer brake video that I can't figure out how to embed.  

https://youtu.be/yFTHOz3aqOE

The brake controller mount was a beast.  I wanted a nice clean appearance so I chose the ash tray.  I didn't want to cut any more than necessary so it was hours of trial and error.  I could never survive as a professional mechanic, I'd end up working for $5 an hour because I'm so slow.  

Making room for the wire harness out of the back of the Prodigy controller

Ok so now the controller is mounted and the ash tray pushes all the way back to its closed and detented position.  Sweet.  This has another benefit of hiding the bright LED lights from my eyes at night.  

Now, on to the trailer light plug.  I didn't want to chop a hole in the bumper, and I didn't want the plug to hang any lower than necessary.  There is a thin metal cross member just sort of floating underneath the bumper cover.  I welded up a mount that can clamp to that.  

I don't think it's actually crooked like this photo makes it look.  If it is, it's so hidden you couldn't tell anyway.  I think I straightened it out after the photo though.  

This is a great outlet that has 7 pin and 4 pin plugs since I have both kinds of trailers.  

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/1/19 12:36 p.m.

This thing is sweet!  If the Gambler 500 guys ever host an event near me, I'm going to pick up something like this, although probably not as nice.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/1/19 12:37 p.m.

And moved. Figure in the Build section it will stick around longer, if you know what I mean. 

Thanks for sharing, too. 

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
2/1/19 12:53 p.m.

Here's a bonus photo showing how big the trunk is, that's a full size spin bike I bought off of Craigslist to help rehab my knee.  

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
2/1/19 1:44 p.m.

I appreciate this thread. My grandmother gave me her 2002 Town Car in 2014 and it's been serving me well ever since. I put CVPI springs and shocks in it and some big mud and snow tires. 

I am jealous of your trailer hitch - I'll have to look into the Curt ones. I thought I saw some that required a hole in the bumper cover which I wasn't into. 

They're good cars and they seem to last forever, it's not uncommon to see them well over 200,000 miles. 

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/1/19 1:51 p.m.

Towing with a car is the best thing ever! 

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
2/1/19 3:34 p.m.

These TC's get up to 400,000 miles or more as airport cabs, take care of it and it will take care of you. Don't bother hacking up the exhaust. won't get you much or any more power on a 2V.  these guys will be a good resource for repairs and upgrades...

I've hauled several engines home in the trunk of mine(not a TC an MGM) and 600 lb of firewood.

https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
2/12/19 6:31 p.m.

I have one problem with my LTC since I bought it.  At low RPM and 1/4 throttle with a moderate load, the cars has a bit of a stutter and shake.  For example, top gear, 1/4 throttle at 55 MPH up a slight hill.  If I give it more throttle and it downshifts its smooth.  It revs to redline fine.  Transmission seems to be shifting fine.  

I decided to throw new plugs and coils in it since they're a common failure point and not terribly expensive.  

No change whatsoever.  All the plugs looked fine.  Unfortunately however, there was some oil in the aft, passenger plug hole, cylinder #4 I think.  Likely a vlave cover gasket leak.  I thought that would be the problem, but I blew all the oil out of there and packed the plug boot full of dielectric grease.  If it ran fine for some number of miles and the stutter came back I'd do the valve cover gasket.  But, like I said, there was absolutely no change.  

I've also changed the fuel filter because that is what fixed my 5.4 van engine several years ago doing a similar thing.  

Any ideas what to do next?

In unrelated reporting, I swapped the rear shocks out for limosine spec shocks from Monroe.  They have an additional coil spring on them compared to the regular shocks.  They're not very stiff and I didn't notice much difference.  I have 200 pounds of ballast in the trunk, but I haven't towed my enclosed trailer since the swap.  They give me a little peace of mind incase of an airbag failure.  Also, maybe they take a little strain off the airbags.  

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
2/12/19 6:34 p.m.

Back seat will fit a 1986 Honda ATC 250R frame in case you were wondering.  

FunkyCricket
FunkyCricket Reader
2/13/19 3:25 p.m.

that stutter, make sure the TPS is clean. It's probably a spot it spends alot of time at so when it's there, the signal gets all mucky and the computer goes all wonky. those are technical terms.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pauKepRK5ILlvClVbw9cV2HGqbGVvZ5ZblXtDZp8yKJn7ORsAvPLhlJTqj76zvmz