1 2 3 ... 5
bonylad
bonylad GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/30/21 7:29 a.m.

Hey there, 

Another riveting build coming soon! I hope to be picking this up within the week! A 1999 Mazda Miata w/145K.

Plans for this are the typical thing I do.  Get it, clean it, find out what it needs and sort it!

First on the list is the exhaust.......yeah IDK. Owner didnt do this, but the PO did.  So sorta contemplating just cutting it or unbolting it so I am not dealing with this.

Pics.....

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/30/21 7:29 a.m.

Subbed!

bonylad
9/2/21 6:00 a.m.

Seller was a awesome dude. We ran into title notary issues which he solved due to my dumbass ( I didn't realize wife was on the title and she can't notarize a title with her name in it). So we met up and did the trade. Seller gave me some spare parts as well. The exhaust turns out to be a rare Cork Sport axleback. Rare doesn't mean good or at least to me. So I'm listing it for trade for something conventional.  

Car rides great!  Looks great from 10ft away. Interior is solid.  Happy guy here. Needs a lot of tlc for sure. Will update that. Car is slow. I mean. Coming from a mid high 200 whp Gti to this is startling......it's just slow. Idc. It's fun. Manual everything except ac and power steering. Will update. 

Pics of it home. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/2/21 11:23 a.m.

The best build threads start with seller photos.

Dusterbd13-michael
9/2/21 11:29 a.m.

I have never seen an nb with manual window! Honestly never knew they existed!

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/2/21 11:44 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

My 99 sport has manual windows. Autocross car, so weight matters.

What's funny is that Flying Miata has compared the weight between manual and power window doors. One pound per door. 

dculberson (Forum Supporter)
dculberson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/2/21 12:40 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I had a base-base-base 99 with manual windows. It didn't even have a/c! Also had the fat airbag and came with steel wheels. I loved that car and have regretted selling it from the moment it left the driveway.

bonylad
9/2/21 1:36 p.m.

Pretty stoked.  I got the title done, and the tag. So I will drive her tommorow. Over the weekend I will see what I can get done. I still have the torque converter on the S10 to install, and to do some things I need my garage back.  So I will post update pics this weekend. Car is a base ass car. Love it!  

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
9/2/21 6:15 p.m.
dculberson (Forum Supporter) said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I had a base-base-base 99 with manual windows. It didn't even have a/c! Also had the fat airbag and came with steel wheels. I loved that car and have regretted selling it from the moment it left the driveway.

Welcome back. Glad to see you. 

bonylad
9/3/21 6:24 a.m.

Took off that exhaust last night. Didn't like it. It damaged the bumper. Tryijg to swap for a simple setup. Two bolts took an hour due to seizure and the amazing amount of room I had on my back without a jack.  Woot. 

Not sponsored by Fruit of the Loom..........this was one of those 10:30 at night Im gonna go pull the exhaust in the driveway on my back sorta deals.

bonylad
9/4/21 9:01 a.m.

And another episode of what the hell have I got myself into we delve into the finer points of the prior prior owner. 

so today I had a little bit of time and decided to clean it up a little bit I removed everything from the trunk to inspect it found your typical surface rust. Which I will clean as well as the battery vent tubes disconnected which I reconnected. I also found a bracket that was way too rusty for some reason and my OCD would not let me leave it that way. So I have pulled it out to clean it repainted and reinstall it along with some plans for the trunk. 

The bracket in question is in the back near the fuel filler hoses I will get in there and clean the hell out of everything I just did not have the time right now.The bracket in question is in the back near the fuel filler hoses I will get in there and clean the hell out of everything I just did not have the time right now.

Moving on to the interior which I have begun cleaning I removed the horribly offensive Pedal covers. They went straight into the trash. 

I cleaned under the hood as well I have not detailed it but I gave it a quick rinsing off and it looks better I did discover a nice surprise the car runs and drives but somehow the mass airflow sensor looked like this.

I have no intention of leaving the intake the way it is I have my eyes on a set up where the mass airflow sensor and intake are relocated to the passenger side away from the exceedingly hot exhaust manifold.  I just can't imagine that somebody thought this was a good idea I'm looking at you after market…

bonylad
9/5/21 1:10 p.m.

Finished the trunk. Cleaned it all up and coated it. Refinished a bracket and cleaned cable connections and properly mounted them. 

Waiting on a coupler and the new MAF to redo the intake.  Also removed brackets under the hood that weren't doing anything as well as corrected some connections.  Shift knob should be here soon.  Going to Wilmington to pick up a stock muffler.  Oh and also working on cleaning the interior!  Stay tuned!

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/6/21 4:35 p.m.

Good job on the trunk!  Your thread has me thinking of looking at an 01 BRG near me.

bonylad
9/6/21 6:09 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks!  Stay tuned as I am picking up an exhaust and cutting the rear bumper. Also installed the new shift knob after redoing the threads on the shifter where they were assed up. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/6/21 7:37 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

Good job on the trunk!  Your thread has me thinking of looking at an 01 BRG near me.

Random BRG in Irvine, CA - 2013

bonylad
9/7/21 7:12 a.m.

Found a 3D model for a center console delete. Speaking to my guy to get it made up. Also charged the A/C. It works and blows cold so that's a win! 

bonylad
9/8/21 11:41 a.m.

Day 7 of ownership......its broke down.  Sorta.

Really hoping the P0171 code is the MAF. I replaced it, but its a ebay special for dirt cheap that makes me Sus. Biting the bullet and getting a new one and hope thats it. Drives like a bad MAF.....

Heres hoping!

But at least the windshield is getting replaced....so yay!

bonylad
9/12/21 1:50 p.m.

I hope this is like the GTI. Upon getting the car I have to fix quite a few things. But parts are cheap for a Miata. Somehow exhausts for a NB aren't but idk?  Meantime I am rebuilding the cluster. One the car came with is faded. As well as the odometer lcd screen is E36 M3. So. I picked up a local great shape one and and swapping the odometer over to this one with a new screen. 

bonylad
9/14/21 7:23 a.m.

Cluster is back in and working great!  At least that part is done! 

Still waiting on the fuel pump.

Im looking for a stock intake. Anyone?

Dusterbd13-michael
9/14/21 7:29 a.m.

I have a guy up here that parts out miatas if youre willing to come west for one.

bonylad
9/14/21 8:52 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I hit up some local FB groups and parts groups. Have some promising leads.  Thank you for the offer!

bonylad
9/14/21 7:25 p.m.

Some OEM goodies came in. Both shifter boots came in. The turret and upper boot. 

Also scored an OEM factory intake setup!

bonylad
9/23/21 11:08 a.m.

So while I'm waiting for the fuel pump to come in which apparently is taking forever. I decided to turn my attention to the interior. Their are spots for the convertible top in place that I knew I was not gonna be able to get to plus I wanted to refinish the parcel shelf where the convertible top stows. 

I plan on redoing the trim which attaches the top at the base further I intend to coat the entire area with something to give it a uniform appearance it also gives me the opportunity to do some cleaning on the top and make sure everything is as it needs to be.

Talk to text is a run on but you get the idea  

I am also giving the bay some attention. I plan on a deep clean of the valve cover and the bay. I had though my of painting it but that's sorta not the look I want. I do intend on removing some things though keeping ac and power steering. 

bonylad
9/23/21 11:20 a.m.

Anyone knows of a cheap local to me in NC race seat I would be interested. 

bonylad
9/25/21 3:03 p.m.

I started to address the engine bay. Deleted the charcoal canister. Pulled the valve cover and cleaned the E36 M3 out of it. Further replaced the crusty old mismatched bolts with stainless cap screws. Installed the stock intake and overall. Just tidied up the place. Still have work to do but here we are. 

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Rs3KzCVyb1TWULur2GJzvQdWdTCk1Vfh2XhMr9BFQAcjnkEA1f8HA8bvSjsbQg9g