1 2 3 4 5
bonylad
bonylad GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/25/21 6:17 p.m.

With the rear exposed the and top removed temporarily. I decided to clean and coat the rear parcel shelf. Waiting to button that up but here is a wip pic. 

bonylad
9/26/21 5:02 p.m.

Replaced the turret boot and shifter boot.

Next step is to get it up and running. ETA Tuesday. I'm supposed to go tommorow to pick up some wheels. These. 

Currently I'm sorta tryin to figure out what the car wants to be. I am undoing the sins of prior owners and that means a lot has to come off to clean repair or replace. Part of me wants a drift track build. Other parts wants a lifted build. Idk. 

As she sits waiting on parts and a date with the pressure washer. 

bonylad
9/27/21 8:34 p.m.

She's fixed boys!  Replaced the fuel pump with a 255 and soldered all connections. Runs amazing. Hits redline and pulls pretty hard for a little 140 hp mill. I'm happy. Finally. Here she's all buttoned up!  

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/27/21 8:49 p.m.

What wheels and offset are those? They don't look familiar 

bonylad
9/28/21 7:02 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I have yet to pick them up but CE28 knockoffs 15x6.5

bonylad
9/28/21 10:57 a.m.

Cleaning the top. 

Done and drying. 

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/28/21 12:18 p.m.

Hopefully you changed the turret fluid when you did the shift boots. 

What are you using to paint the trunk and parcel shelf? It looks good. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
9/28/21 12:44 p.m.

I'm so pleased that the fuel pump fixed your driveability issues. Good going.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/28/21 1:10 p.m.

What wheels are those?

bonylad
9/28/21 3:59 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

Turret fluid? 

bonylad

In reply to dculberson :

As am I!  Thanks!

bonylad

In reply to AxeHealey :

CE28 Knock offs.........I think.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/28/21 4:10 p.m.
bonylad said:

Turret fluid? 

I'm pretty sure this is a non-issue on an NB, but with an NA, you have to siphon the skank fluid out of the area below the shifter, and replace it with new. Or should, anyway. 

Miata experts confirm, please.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UberDork
9/28/21 8:06 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I have never seen an nb with manual window! Honestly never knew they existed!

My 99 Base has manual windows, manual door locks and no cruise control. Also doesn't have anti-lock brakes or power antenna. A real stripper edition. Came with hollow alloy wheels though those are gone now.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/28/21 11:10 p.m.

I'm happy for you that this story is taking a solid turn in a good direction!  Congrats!

thatsnowinnebago
9/28/21 11:16 p.m.
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) said:
bonylad said:

Turret fluid? 

I'm pretty sure this is a non-issue on an NB, but with an NA, you have to siphon the skank fluid out of the area below the shifter, and replace it with new. Or should, anyway. 

Miata experts confirm, please.

5-speeds do have the turret fluid. It's the same as the NA transmission. The 6-speeds don't have it. 

OP: you just use the same fluid as the transmission. Not a huge deal, but it'll help your shifts be nice and smooth. 

bonylad
9/29/21 8:00 a.m.

I didnt then, thanks! I will do so when I do the trans fluid.  Thanks!

bonylad
9/29/21 8:02 a.m.

Top partially installed. 

I have some new latches for the top to install. Other than that it's simple. I plan to refinish the trim that secures the top to the car near the bottom.  Perhaps some new fasteners. 

Also unboxed the ISR exhaust. It's pretty. Lol. Has a dent in the muffler from I don't where from.  It was packed super good but. Oh well it's minor. 

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/29/21 8:44 a.m.
bonylad said:

In reply to AxeHealey :

CE28 Knock offs.........I think.

Sorry, I hadn't noticed that Michael had already asked the question. 

If those are knock offs of CE28s, I like the knock offs better.  For some reason they make me think of Campagnolo wheels. 

thatsnowinnebago
9/29/21 4:34 p.m.

In reply to bonylad :

For sure! You just unbolt the shifter and suck out the old stuff with your garage turkey baster, then fill it back up with the new fluid. Don't be like me and spill gear oil on the carpet though...

There's a little plastic bushing on the end of the shifter that occasionally fails too. Some folks like to replace it with brass but I'm not sure it's worth the effort. 

bonylad
10/1/21 5:48 a.m.

Ok. So. Exhaust is on. Car is soooooo much quieter now. Between the panels being back in as well as the boots replaced. I'm saying with this exhaust. She's sooo much better. 

But. 

I feel I need either some offset and meaty tires to pull this look off or a lift. ISR Circuit Spec exhaust btw. 

Thoughts?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/1/21 6:51 a.m.

Need a more overall picture to gain perspective on that. Cant really tell fom the underneath bumperless pic

bonylad
10/2/21 8:31 a.m.

I've decided to keep it low. It's too fun to drive and I feel lifting it just to be able to go off-road 10 percent of the time - destroys 90 percent of the fun. I will be doing a street fighter style build.  I'll update with the theme later. 

As is. I decided since I'm going to reuse the front bumper it needed a place to go. So I had stripped the front down. I degreased it as removed misc things I no longer wanted and then hit the damn thing with a power washer. Super clean. Once day I will do the undercarriage but for now. 

And then.  I will be applying bed liner to the rear since I'm pretty sure the rear bumper will be replaced by a bash bar.  

bonylad
10/2/21 8:34 a.m.

But the real inspiration is ...... yep.

Motorcycle themed street fighter build. Such as. Minimal. Functional. Fun. I will retain A/C and power steering as it will be a fun daily. I pulled the heat and ac out of the truck and it sucks. But. Oh well I can still do little things such as speed holes  in front bumper and even wiper arms  

bonylad
10/2/21 4:46 p.m.

The exhaust is wonderful. Really stylish and sounds great. I have it adjusted for now but till the poly exhaust hangers come in. It's only held up by the rear two hangers. Plenty of clearance now. I did take a cut off to the tip. As the plan doesn't allow a rear bumper atm. It's gotta be chopped. So I did. 5 inches off the top lolz. 

This much came off. Wowsers.....

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
l9fCZmayHVpRGTkInvSrqtUtjBQnizxLoNoBDMRdApVkpl0yVBaoPC96iy0bxweM