1 2 3 4 5
bonylad
bonylad GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/23/21 8:54 p.m.

The day started with a goal. To at least get the wheels primered. I did it!  I realize that my attention to detail was a bit overkill as the high build primer I chose really soaked up the irregularities of the surface. Regardless. All four are at least in the first stages of being painted!  I have to touch up the fronts and then flip to do the barrels. That point leaves me with color and I'll be done!

Whilst I did work on the wheels and I had the time I began the ac delete. Which turned into a full on ac and power steering delete. I had no interest in doing the ps delete but once I started and saw how much room I would have. I couldn't help myself. Oh well. I still have heat and that's all I really need. Looking into abs door cards next. Anyhow. Here's how the pile of crap removed looks. Not shown as it's not pulled yet is the evap box. 

bonylad
10/25/21 12:13 p.m.

All this room for activities!

bonylad
10/28/21 7:35 a.m.

She's sprung a leak! Oil that is. Damnit. 

It's looking like a front crank seal. I hope. I had cleaned it yesterday and it was wrapped up. I cleaned it and drove 20 miles and this is what I get. Dripping.

Either way time to strip it down and fix it along with all the needed PM. Plus I get to clean!  

bonylad
10/28/21 11:00 a.m.

As much as the car is bothering me with all the little things that need to be done. I absolutely love it. I also love how pretty much everything is super easy to work on and right there. It's in point I had 20 minutes on lunch today that I was able to spend working on the car. I pulled the thermostat thermostat housing camshaft cover radiator hoses bolts etc. and I'm nearly done to the point where I can get the job done. 

bonylad
10/29/21 10:53 a.m.

So tomorrow I'm going to Raleigh for my super car experience where I get to drive a Ferrari 488 GTB. So today I had a few minutes at lunch and worked on the Miata a little bit more. The good Lord has blessed me because not only did the prior owner or whoever worked on this car not tighten the crank pulley bolt and it literally came off with an adjustable wrench. The sprocket came off with gentle persuasion from two flat head screwdriver's. Which I was worried about after seeing other people have issues with it being seized on the crank. I also got to do a little bit of automotive archaeology. The car was always running pretty cool  and I could not get a good amount of heat through the heater. So I will leave it with these pictures. Pretty sure that's not right……

I basically have some cleaning to do while I wait for the new parts to come in and oh yeah I still have to pull the water pump but so far this is looking pretty good.I basically have some cleaning to do while I wait for the new parts to come in and oh yeah I still have to pull the water pump but so far this is looking pretty good.

bonylad
10/31/21 7:45 p.m.

Completed the AC delete. 

I did install the clamps though not pictured. Super simple and saved some more weight!

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/31/21 8:11 p.m.

The dampener on the one I'm working on currently was sssuuuuppppeeeerrrr stuck. 

Carry on.

bonylad
11/1/21 6:38 a.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

Yeah I was worried about that too but literally everything more or less just came right off super blessed. But I tell you I was sweating it before I even started working on that part after reading about all the horror stories all kinds of other mess. So you got it off right?

AxeHealey
11/1/21 8:01 a.m.

In reply to bonylad :

Yes, it eventually came off but totally against its will.

bonylad
11/1/21 9:41 a.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

BUT.....it came off. That's a win!  

bonylad
11/3/21 7:00 p.m.

Final steps before I slap it back together. Cleaned the front of the block of all oil and grease. It's the small things but it matters to me. 

Also sneak peek of the valve cover!  Will not be running covers atm as they are in need of replacement. Will order at least the lower. 

bonylad
11/5/21 7:25 a.m.

All timed up!  Waiting to go to the dealer tommorow morning to pick up a new reluctor wheel. Mine was a bit trashed. Sure it worked but my OCD wasn't having it. 

Case in point. 

The teeth were worn looking and a bit beveled. 

Anyhow. All done except to torque the crank pulley bolt, so far as the timing set goes. Tonight I will get it all finished to the point where I need to slap the crank pulley and reluctor wheel on tommorow and start it up. Should run great. I hope. 

bonylad
11/5/21 11:30 a.m.

Thermostat and housing installed. Valve cover installed. Etc. 

bonylad
11/6/21 7:50 a.m.

On my way back from New Bern with the goodies hopefully this thing will be running this evening!

bonylad
11/6/21 7:13 p.m.

Started quicker than ever. First try. Purrrrs. Lmao. 

Came up with a simple and clean way to retain the crank sensor wiring out of the way. May need one zip tie for peace of mind. 

bonylad
11/14/21 2:50 p.m.

Hopefully tommorow I'll have them on!

So it sits waiting. Lol. 

I also cleaned the garage..........so there is that.

bonylad
11/15/21 4:38 p.m.

bonylad
11/15/21 7:09 p.m.

Finally. Looks pretty good IMO. Drives great!

AxeHealey
11/16/21 10:17 a.m.

Sounds good. Want those wheels. 

bonylad
11/16/21 12:39 p.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

Lol come get them!

bonylad
11/18/21 9:12 a.m.

So. I had planned all wide eyed and bushy tailed to build the car for spec Miata class. Quick check of the books. Aka asking the wife and I found out I can't afford it. So back to the street fighter style I embrace. That being said. I fabbed up a passenger side intake which will ingest cold air. Uses the stock intake tubing and looks good. Common mod and hey. If I gain a little go and that intake noise......and shave some more lbs?!  Win!  The pic attached also shows the passenger side cleared out of all the crap I could care less for.  Need a small filter. 

I ordered a catch can as well. So I will route that once I get it. 

I have a set of riv nuts installed for the relays on the driver side. 

bonylad
11/20/21 3:27 p.m.

In keeping with the street fighter motorcycle theme. I got a air filter for the relocated intake. 

Fresh UNI filter. Have used them before and are a great product. Looks racy and is different from the average cotton gauze filters.

bonylad
11/26/21 6:42 a.m.

Began the catch can install. Chose a low mounting point out of the way. Deliberating on either venting both the pcv and valve cover breather to the same line or just the breather line. 

bonylad
11/27/21 11:36 a.m.

In keeping with the streetfighter style build. I began to mod the bumper. Some may recall I made the holes and sorta stopped. I still sorta want a bad bar setup but idk if that's affordable right now. So instead I'm doing this. 

I cut out the bottom where the lip would attach. Further I cut out the ducting for the lower grille opening. 

bonylad
11/27/21 5:01 p.m.

Mock up. Idk. Thoughts on a half cut front bumper?

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7cftD1u2bKGcPahOzXvXFl9DKLC3SoBRZJvsv4edcaef09NBU2xRI5yRhS2yjKk0