1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 37
Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
5/5/21 9:05 a.m.

In reply to slantsix :

I'm pretty sure you are correct. One of the good things about this system is that a lot of the circuits are independent of each other. Charging circuit, ignition on, ignition run, etc. are all separate. This explains why it still ran fine even though the harness burned itself to bits.

That said, things will be changing soon due to those "top secret plans" I've referenced before. Part of those changes involve cleaning up the wiring. One hint is that I will no longer need that ballast resistor. Honestly, the truck "self deleting" this harness isn't really a bad thing. It was going to be removed anyway. wink

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
5/7/21 9:27 p.m.

Quick update: 

So... uhh... the truck apparently doesn't need that harness at all. Everything that shouldn't work, works. Even the choke. In fact, the choke actually works properly for the first time since I've had the truck! I took it for the first drive since the meltdown, and it drives great. Apparently, it just wanted to self-delete stuff. 

And you know what? That's fine with me! Where we're going, we won't need that stuff anyway. wink

Loweguy5 (Forum Supporter)
Loweguy5 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/8/21 7:23 a.m.

I have learned one new thing on this board:  you are my spirit animal!

Love this project!  In addition to the Stinger I own your truck's much younger brother haha (05 2500 diesel).

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
5/8/21 7:49 p.m.

In reply to Loweguy5 (Forum Supporter) :

Ha, thanks! This project has been a blast so far. Usually this far in, I get bored and burned out, but I'm addicted to fixing this thing and making it better. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
5/8/21 8:03 p.m.

Oh, and another quick update:

One of the things on my list for a while now has been to replace the Spanish-American War-Era spare tire. 

This "Dean Alpha IV Season" whitewall has been residing here since I dragged the truck home. It's great for my weird, obscurely named tire collection, but not so great as a functioning spare tire. So this morning, I decided to hit up one of my favorite local junkyards that sells single used tires, and whaddayaknow:

They just happened to have a BFG All-Terrain T/A in 235/75/15 to match my other four! PERFECT. I'll be mounting that soon. 

Also, I got gas again. MPG update: 

9.2MPG!!! Keeps going up, and I keep dumping more fuel system cleaner in it every time. It's actually helping. Also, keep in mind that the truck burned that harness on this tank. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
5/20/21 10:42 p.m.

Another quick update:

Had my nephew mount that spare for me. 

Debating whether to paint this spare wheel or not. For some reason, the patina on this old steel wheel just does it for me, so I might just clean up the rust scale and run it. And steel wheels and BFG All Terrains... put that right in my veins. 

Got some BIG updates I can't share here yet, but things are definitely happening! Stay tuned. 

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Dork
5/21/21 9:58 a.m.

Great thread! I just read through this in its entirety and love it. 

Been a little frustrated with my Mercury brake rehab lately, was nice to see you fight (and succeed) with your brake rebuild. 

Keep up the good work! 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
5/21/21 2:18 p.m.

In reply to Gunchsta :

Thanks man! I've been enjoying your adventures with that giant Mercury as well. Such a cool slab of steel! You'll get the brakes sorted.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
5/21/21 2:26 p.m.

Cleaned up that spare and got it mounted.

Man, that just looks GREAT. Old school cool!

Oh, and I dropped a new VIDEO on the YouTube channel I've been working on. If you are bored and looking to watch me stumble through a quick intro video on this thing, give it a click!

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
5/27/21 10:07 a.m.

Well, the cat's out of the bag, so I can finally talk about it now.

https://bangshift.com/general-news/project-cars/bangshift-power-laggin-project-truck-update-we-finally-add-some-power-with-a-full-hooker-exhaust/

A while back, I talked about replacing the stock exhaust. Well, I did just that. But since the OEM stuff is NLA, I got my hands on a complete Hooker system from the engine to the tailpipes!

Let's start with the headers. Ended up getting some Hooker Competition Classics:

These things are seriously nice. This is my first set of Hookers (so many jokes, I know) and they are really well made. Flanges are nice and thick and laser straight, and the welds are nice. Tubes are nice and thick, too.

And for the rest:

Hooker Competition header back kit with Hooker Competition turbo mufflers. This is the only kit on the market that's specifically made for this truck (long wheelbase, 4WD, LA series V8). It's a 2.25" kit with mandrel bent pipes, and it comes with just about everything you need to bolt it on. The mufflers are sold separately, but they recommend the ones I got here.

I posted a while back about marinating the manifold bolts in penetrating oil. Well, I never stopped. I kept doing this for months, and it worked! Every single bolt came out without breaking. Color me shocked.

Only one I had trouble with was this one, and of course, that stud has the cooling passage behind it. As soon as I could see the stud turning, I got out the drain pan. I had to drain coolant anyway because I had to replace the lower radiator hose anyway.

With the manifolds off, you can see the smog holes that need to be plugged.

A better look. These are the smaller ones, so the 1/4" tap and plugs would work.

I found the plugs at the local hardware store.

Doing it in the truck wasn't bad at all. I did run into a problem while tapping. The Hammer Store tap and die set I started with ended up not being up to task. Shocker. I wore out the tap in short order, so I went to the hardware store and grabbed an Irwin set. Got three taps done and SNAP! The "good" tap broke off in the smog hole. D'oh! Upon further inspection, it was in deep enough and wasn't going anywhere, so I ground down the protruding parts and left it in there. Easier than drilling it out, and it just has to be filled with something, so I called it good. Went to Lowes and bought 3 more taps just in case more of them snapped, but I didn't have any further issues. Just go slow and make sure all the carbon is cleaned out of those holes!

As an extra precaution, I used some JB Weld on each hole to seal in the plugs. After getting everything flush, I let it cure for 24 hours before bolting on the headers.

The old stuff was a mess. The passenger side manifold air tube was mostly snapped off at the manifold, causing a huge leak, and the gaskets were smoked.

It was also leaking here, where the Wire Nut Bandit stuffed this metal mesh in there.

And the Y-Pipe had holes! I didn't know those were even there until it was on the ground.

Headers fit GREAT. I've never had a set of headers go in this easy. No frame notching, no BFH pipe smashing, just had to bend the transmission dipstick tube a little.

Learning a lesson from my Trans Am, I wrapped the starter cables with heat shielding.

Since I have the mini Magnum starter, it fits with plenty of clearance, but the OEM massive starter would definitely have trouble fitting here. I had to install it from the top, but that's mainly because of the transmission cooler lines were in the way. If I re-route those, it will fit in the way it should from the bottom.

As I was removing the rest of the exhaust, the head pipe folded in half. That also had holes in it. Yikes.

Speaking of head pipes, the new kit comes with three: one for the driver's side and two for the passenger's side. The reason for the two passenger side pipes: one for 2WD and one for 4WD. I used the one that fit best and kept routing the pipes. The driver's side pipe is WILD. Scoots out from the transmission crossmember, goes UNDER the frame rail, across the transfer case tailshaft, and over to the passenger side. All of this is to get around the gas tank. Weird, but it works!

Only thing I had to change was adding a small spacer to help the muffler clear the driveshaft. A small adapter from the parts store did the trick.

Mufflers fit vertically between the frame and driveshaft. They tuck right up and in there perfectly.

Tailpipes are similarly funky, but they work and exit where they should.

Oh, and I got that spare mounted on the truck! And peep the vintage-style Hooker sticker. It's perfect.

Only real thing that fought me during the process was removing the oil filter.

I put this on a couple months back. Somehow, it fused solid to the mounting pad. And yes, I oiled the gasket and threads! Had to cut the thing off in chunks. I couldn't believe it. This took hours of time to remove.

All in all, it took me about 4-5 days to get all of this done, working part time after the day job to get it done. Biggest time wasters were plugging the smog holes and getting that dumb oil filter off. I used a Ryobi One e-ratchet on a lot of the clamps which greatly helped cut down wrenching time. In the end, it was well worth it. Surprisingly, it's much quieter than the old exhaust most of the time. Not having gaping holes in the system will do that! It's nice and quiet at idle and rowdy when you want it to be.

I'll be dropping a more in-depth video tomorrow on my new fledgling YouTube channel. I have done a couple long drives with it since the install, and I really like the system. Sounds good, smoothed out the power band, and it's one less thing I have to worry about. I have a lot more work to do, and a few more future surprises in store that I can't talk about yet (I know I know, sorry, bound to embargo stuff), but I really like where the truck build is going. smiley

JeremyJ
JeremyJ Reader
5/27/21 11:05 a.m.

I've never seen an oil filter come off in so many pieces. That's crazy. 

The headers look great. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
5/27/21 12:43 p.m.

In reply to JeremyJ :

Yeah, neither had I! I tried all the tricks: filter sockets, strap wrench, poking a screwdriver through to turn it, and none of it worked. After ripping it off piece by piece, I was able to carefully get the flange moving between a screwdriver, a hammer, and a strap wrench. I cleaned the area around the mating surface really well and made sure way more than enough oil was on the gasket and threads this time. I also used a different brand of filter. 

And yes, the headers are nice. Paint is already starting to flake off, but that's expected. They really fit in there great!

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/7/21 1:11 p.m.

Since I installed the exhaust, everything was going great, until this past weekend.

I set out to run some errands in the truck, and everything was fine. Truck ran wonderfully. I stopped at home for a minute, hopped back in the truck, fired it up, and it stalled. Dead. Won't run.

It sputters on starting fluid, but that's it. Has spark. Wait... this sounds really familiar, doesn't it?

Fuel filter is full of fuel, and while there's small chunks of debris in there, it's nothing too alarming.

So I pulled the feed line off the carb, and it's bone dry. No fuel to carb, again. Tried cranking it over with the feed line like this, and not one drop of fuel came out. That's not great.

Remember, I just swapped in a new pump about 2 months ago. The old pump wouldn't get fuel to the filter, and now it seems the new one won't get the fuel to the carb. Ugh. Going to try swapping out the filter and cleaning out the feed line, but I think that some drastic changes are coming in the very near future.

slantsix
slantsix Reader
6/7/21 4:04 p.m.

Sock filter in tank?

Sucks beacuse you have to drop the tank or pull the bed off or cut an access hole in bed to service it.

See if it will run on the mechanical pump from a 5/16" fuel hose in a gas can.

If so you have a supply line or sock filter between the pump and tank.

Greg

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/7/21 4:27 p.m.

In reply to slantsix :

Yes, the sending unit has a sock on the end. I replaced the sender about 2 years ago, so it's possible it clogged again, but who knows. It is getting fuel to the filter, so it's surprising that fuel doesn't make it to the carb. When I pulled the original sender, the sock had disintegrated and wasn't on there anymore. Maybe the bits are floating around the tank? I am currently rebuilding the original sender (replacement has the wrong values for the float potentiometer) so I'll at least get a look at the thing when I pull it out.

Going to check for pinches/obstructions in the line as well as try blowing air back through the system. Tank is currently full; I just got gas before this happened.

Pulling the tank is a chore. It has three straps, and none of the bolts want to come loose. They just spin, and there's no way to get a wrench on the other side on the nut, so the straps need to be cut off. And getting new straps is not easy. I'll be pulling the bed up enough to get access to the sender.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/8/21 10:28 a.m.

A little further inspection of things revealed grossness.

The filter was in line AFTER the pump. There wasn't one in line before the pump, mainly because I am an idiot. All of that stuff went through the pump and ended up in the filter. And if that stuff is in here, there's probably more in the pump and even more in the tank. Thinking back, this is what happened with the old pump too. I still had it around, so I chucked it on the bench vise and blew air through it. Sure enough, chunks of debris came out. That explains a lot.

Plan now is to drop the tank, drain it with an electric pump, and clean it out. Hoping I can do this without cutting the straps, since they are hard to come by. It's a plastic tank, so I am not sure exactly how I'll clean it out, but I need to get all the gunk out. I'd just buy a new tank, but no one makes a replacement, so I am stuck with what I have. I'll probably replace the fuel feed line while the tank is out. I have some extra NiCopp from doing the feed line in the Trans Am, so I will likely bend that up and toss it in.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/8/21 10:38 a.m.
Tony Sestito said:

It's a plastic tank, so I am not sure exactly how I'll clean it out, but I need to get all the gunk out. I'd just buy a new tank, but no one makes a replacement, so I am stuck with what I have.

How about some good old hot, soapy water? No worries about rust with a poly tank. I'd bet the gunk floating around in there now will come out easily enough and there won't be much actually stuck to the plastic tank. If you see anything stubborn, throw a few old lug nuts and/or a length of chain into the tank along with a little hot soapy water and agitate like hell until you feel like you've earned a break. Rinse it, drain it, set it in the sun for a while to dry out, and call it done. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/8/21 12:42 p.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

That's probably the best bet. Some dish soap would probably cut up the gunk the best. Part of that debris in the filter is likely the remnants of the old filter sock on the sending unit. That was MIA when I pulled it out of the tank a couple years back.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/10/21 8:05 a.m.

Yesterday, I started the process of getting that tank out of the truck and cleaned up.

First step was draining the tank. Last few times I pulled gas tanks, they were way too full and I made a mess of it. I infamously once ended up covered in stale fuel and high as a kite one time, and my wife found me out in the back yard on the ground nearly passed out mumbling incoherently. This time, I sought to avoid that and keep as many brain cells as possible.

I went out and bought this thing. Local O'Reilly's had it in stock, bonus! Side Note: They have been opening a ton of O'Reilly's stores around here in really convenient places, and they have a really decent performance accessories section and they stock Wix filters. I am beginning to like them.

To get it in the driveway to drop the tank, I rigged it up to the stock fuel line and used the barrel connector from that harness that the truck self-incinerated a few weeks back. That harness was an ignition-on powered harness, so it was perfect for this. It worked immediately and got the truck moving.

Once in the driveway, I disconnected the feed to the engine, turned the ignition on, and started filling fuel jugs. It made short work of filling these and worked perfectly. Since the fuel was double filtered this time, I just dumped it in my Trans Am until it was full. Eventually, the pump started chugging, even though the tank wasn't quite empty. More on this in a bit.

Onto the tank. The tanks on these trucks fitted with the 18 gallon side tank have three straps. The straps are bolted to the frame on one side and have this through bolt on the other side with a nut. I had hosed them down with penetrating oil, but I was fully expecting them to have to be cut off.

While one strap looked fine, the other two looked like this. I know from experience that these could let go at any time, so they needed to be replaced. I was able to source a set of new straps, and the nuts on the threaded rods rusted into a nugget of nonstandard shape, so they had to be cut off.

After a little Sawzall session with the bad straps, the tank came right out. Looking it over, it was in good shape, but covered in 40+ years of grunge. Picking it up and putting it in the bed revealed something unsettling: there has to be at least a gallon of sludgy slop left in here. When the pump started chugging, I bet it was trying to pick up the sludge. Getting this cleaned up inside and out is the next step here.

So, how's the frame behind the tank?

It seems to be there, but this pile of crap that was trapped behind it is exactly why they rot out here.

This crossmember brace is the only carnage. It's not pretty but it's fixable. I'm going to pretend I didn't see that for now; I've got bigger fish to fry.

I'll update with pics of whatever comes out of the tank once I clean it out. Really curious to see what's in there.

JeremyJ
JeremyJ Reader
6/10/21 9:53 a.m.

The last Power Wagon my dad owned, had two tanks. I bet they would have been fun to remove.

I'm also curious to see what's in the tank. I'm betting there's a lot of debris from the disintegrated sock. Who knows what else. Good luck with the cleaning process. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/10/21 10:13 a.m.

In reply to JeremyJ :

Funny enough, this truck was outfitted with a second aftermarket rear mount tank back when it was nearly new. Someone haphazardly removed it but left all the lines hooked up along with the switch and wiring. All that stuff got cleaned up a couple years back when I did the sending unit. I've also read that a lot of guys run 60's Mustang tanks. They are about 20 gallons and fit nicely behind the rear axle. Some Ramchargers also came with 30 gallon rear-mount tanks, but they are impossible to find these days. My friend is running one in his 1972 D100 with a 440 that originally had a behind-the-seat tank. He scored that tank from a junkyard about 15 years back.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/10/21 12:49 p.m.

I've got updates.

Here's a pic of the sender flange, mostly for reference. It's still in good shape with no rust for being on the truck for 2 years. Note the spacing of the screws; this can only go on one way.

Pulled it out of the tank, and well, something is missing! The sock fell off of this one too! That explains a lot.

After draining the remnants (more on this in a minute), I sprayed Simple Green on the tank and filler hose and went to town scrubbing and hosed it all off. Tank is in good shape, and so is the hose.

It's hard to see here, but the inside of the tank was remarkably clean. No sludge stuck to the bottom like I was expecting. The stuff you see on the bottom of the sender opening is just water droplets from when I was cleaning the outside.

This is what was left in the tank. Some of this sediment was already in this bucket, but all of the bigger chunks came from inside the tank. Most of it was remains of the old sender sock filter.

A better look at the chunkies. On the left, you can see what's left of the filter sock screen, and there's a bunch of bits that held it together on the right. This matches what I was seeing inside the fuel filter. I'm willing to bet that every time the "pump stopped pumping" it was because one of these large chunks got sucked onto the pickup tube.

With the tank drying out in the sun, I'll tackle cleaning up the crud in the frame rail and removing the old straps later. New straps shipped today, so hopefully they will arrive soon.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
6/10/21 2:39 p.m.

Man. The work you've done on this truck is awesome. It's like watching an episode of Roadkill Garage. 

Keep up the good work. I on the other hand cant even find the time to tag/title my truck project. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
6/10/21 3:25 p.m.

I don't know if you can put a filter in-line before the pump, so between the pump and the tank, without increasing the likelihood of vapor lock.  Gasoline has a pretty low boiling temp and it's made lower like most any fluid by putting it in a situation where the air pressure is reduced.  Putting it on the draw side of the pump will create that situation and cause the filter to become home to a vapor bubble.  I would keep the filter on the outlet side of the pump.

My 2 cents on all that.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
6/10/21 3:40 p.m.

What causes the sock failure? My best guess is ethanol. These are all likely to be old enough NOS that they pre-date our crappy fuel.

1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 37

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7LhAzw3VELYXGWVD42jAqHbpZok8IxPm0fGS7ZL4zYTRQqL3Tk2zEampV7cbQ382